|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> diesel oil changes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
ROBO

SOUTH CAROLINA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the market for new pck/up : ford 250sd or
chevy 250 duramax. some research on both have
brought up many complaints as to cost of oil
changes $ 60 +. why so much ? cost/amount of oil
or filters? any comments on either would be appreciated: thanks1

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hiya Robo:

Well, for starts, many diesels, including my Excursion, take 15 quarts of oil, versus 4 or 5 for a gasser. Filters run higher also...so, I change my own for $36 bucks, including cost of oil filter.

*This Message was edited on 29-Mar-02 07:13 PM by Kusani*

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/02 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know where your research has led you but your figures seem a tad high. My Duramax holds 10 quarts. I haven't gotten to my first change yet but unless the filter is outrageous, it should run around $30. There is one difference you might want to keep in mind though. The manual recommends oil changes every 7500 miles for average driving, I was changing my gasser Silverado every 3000 miles so it's about break even the way I see it.

But oh............the noise, the smell... the power, it's worth it [emoticon]

Rock 250

Earleville Maryland USA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always change my oil every 3000 to 5000 miles depends if I am towing or not.I get a lot of enjoyment maintaining my investment. Just keep all your receipts and there wont be any warranty problems. I have 56000 miles on the truck and never had the oil changed at the Dealer were I bought it Had to take it in for a oil leak at the Tubro Charger it was fixed under warranty with a $100.00 deductible. [emoticon] So if you don`t mind getting some grease under your fingernails go for the diesel, [emoticon] I`ll never go back to gas.
I buy my oil at Sam's Club six gal.case Shell Rotella $32.50 filters at Wal-Mart $9.95ea
It takes 3 gal. 3 qt.for 7.3 L diesel or 15 qt.

*This Message was edited on 29-Mar-02 07:14 PM by Rock 250*

From Maryland`s Eastern Shore
1999 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite 33SKS Fifth Wheel.
1999.5 F250 PSD 4X4 (Western Diesel Chip)AUX-65 Gla American Tank 4" B&D- Exhaust - (Isspro Gauges) Pyro - Boost- Trans Temp (Tubro Temp Monitor)& K&N Filter
(Rocky,Ruby & Squeak: The Camping Cat)

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/02 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 quarts for our F350 PSD as well. How do the rest of you dispose of the oil? We have a town drop off once a month but I forget what the cost is now. Used to be $1/gal, which wasn't bad, but it's gone way up. For us the convience of letting someone else deal with it outweighs the cost.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a free dump for oil at our recycling center about 1/4 mile from here, but living in the country, I also keep a lot in 5 gal buckets and use it to keep my farm equipment from rusting.

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/02 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rock,

That's the third or fourth time I have heard someone mention Shell Rotella oil. And I have never thought of going to Sams to get a big jug of oil. My truck shows 10 quarts but I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna take more with the filter but darned if I can find it in my manual anywhere.

2006 Duramax Diesel 1 ton dually tugging around a 2006 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #2609. Retired and just travelling around now and then seeing the sights.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

18 qts for my N/A 7.3, but it's in a real TRUCK! ie a Navistar. My 6.5 is 8 qts.
I have a few 5 gal and 2.5 gal buckets. I cn take my oil to a Shucks, part of the Krager, Checker family of auto parts stores and dumpr for free. Also my local sevice station will take oil for fee too![emoticon]
It's getting rid of the oil filters I wish I could find a place other than the dump/landfill!
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Costco too. I remembered I saw a 6-1gal case for just over $30. Chevron Delo 15W-40
Those of you using Shell, I've a rumour the oil has a funny smell to it. Fact or fiction?
Marty

bagman

L.K.M.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/02 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a GMC 1 Ton cargo van with the venerable 6.5L TD. It holds 8 qts. of oil and when I get back to Michigan it will have 12,500 miles on it. at that time, we are switching over to Amzoil synthetic HD diesel oil and a Amzoil synthetic oil filter. Curious to see if we get an improvement in fuel economy. Will start going 7,500 miles between changes. Bagman.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> diesel oil changes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2015 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS