|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Emergency RV Road Service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SF Dave

San Francisco, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/02 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have experience with Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service or Camping World's Roadside Assistance Program ? I just got info on each. They look alike and both stress need for RV towing experts vs AAA etc. Seems to make sense. Both are $79.95 per year. Worth it ?

Dave, 2001 Pleasureway, Excel,RD

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/02 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through the same process as you did last November. Here's the link to the thread on what others provided me and my end result.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/85096.cfm

Hope this helps.

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

Steve Johnson

Lakewood, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/02 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some differences, but pretty much the same. They all have an affinity for each other, yuk yuk. Camping World is $79 every year, $9.95 ea additional for your other vehicles if you cover. Good Sam is $79 the first year, which is 20 off, second year if purchased at the same time will get you 15 off, but all vehicles you have are covered. . .cept for utility & horse trailers. I've used the Camping World ERS once, no cash needed and no problems. I've had AAA+RV for 15 years, nothing but long waits and many problems. Actually added the RV part a couple years ago, when I had a need, they weren't there. Dropped it like a hot potato.

Cheers, Steve J.

*This Message was edited on 02-Apr-02 08:37 PM by Steve Johnson*

1999 3500 stretched Ram w/RoadMaster Sleeper. . .It Hauls, Really + 1996 Wilderness 25.5L w/slide + 1998 Voyager VF-20 pontoon boat

T_Satt(USN/SS)(Ret)

WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/02 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting Steve, I have been using ERS through the President Club for as long as I can remember and have never been billed for extra vehicles. If I read my coverage correctly I am the one covered by the plan not the vehicle. Maybe things have changed and I am still one of the ones covered under the original plan since I have never lapsed. Hmmm think a call is in order..

Terry Margie

CalRed

Home in Florida right now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/02 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had AAA for more than 30 years — however I dropped them when renewal time came up in December in favor of the Good Sam's club coverage. AAA has been "fantastic" for all my auto needs. They don't know anything about RV coverage. They can only tow you to an auto repair facility. I have needed them 3 times for my RV and each time they were no help at all.

I have only had occasion to use the new service once so far and it was excellent. Prompt and good service with someone who knew what he was there for.

AAA is great for cars but a no no for RV's. At least in my humble opinion and experience.

Have Trailer — Will Travel

Cal & Grace Reddick Campground Area Managers
Cradle of Forestry in America Interpretative Association

Montana 3255RL Dodge 1-Ton Dually Cummins 5.9TD

My Photo Albums

School Teacher

Midlothian, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/02 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have "AAA plus RV". Have people had problems with them in the past. I have used them a number of times for just the car, but never with the trailer also. I'm about to renew and might go with someone else if AAA hasn't worked out for others with trailers.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/02 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Good Sam and got stuck in the snow. When I called I got a recording telling me that if I had an emergency to call the local Police or Sheriff and call back tomorrow for road service help. I was lucky because this happened a couple of days after Christmas 2 yr. ago and a fellow came by who had gotten a new John Deere Tractor for Christmas and he has having great fun pulling people out of snow banks. He wouldn't even take anything for it. When I called the next day it was to cancel. I had Allstate this past year and got a tire changed from a serviceman on my home driveway. He kept hinting about he should get a tip since he wasn't getting any extra money for doing this over a car. My tip was when I told him to "Plant your corn early".

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

CalRed

Home in Florida right now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/02 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post - deleted

*This Message was edited on 03-Apr-02 01:44 PM by Calred*

gregorio

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/02 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i haven't had to call AAA on my trailer yet, but they did tow my 20' deep hull boat when the axle broke on my trailer. i was quite pleased with their service, considering we were in BFE. the problem isn't with any one service, it is with who they send to service you.

*This Message was edited on 04-Apr-02 12:00 PM by gregorio*

Gregor
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 liter 4x4
2001 KIT Companion 222TLE Travel Trailer

DocH

Pottstown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/02 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had Good Sam's emergency service for a few years now. I had mobile service come to my campsite and replace an alternator on a class C. That was fantastic, very well handled and quick. Alternator seized about 30 miles from camp, we called next morning and had a new alternator by afternoon all with the vehicle hooked up at the site.

Also used towing last year on my car and my only complaint was that I held forever on hold during the initial call, but it was 100+ that day and a heat wave across the northeast US and the operator claimed an incredibly high call volume due to many heat-related emergencies, which I could understand.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Emergency RV Road Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS