|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Little All-Around Cleaner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SledDriver

Kenosha, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/02 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMPORTANT NOTE: BECAUSE OF A BLEACH-INCLUSIVE FORMULA CHANGE TO THE PRODUCT I SUGGEST BELOW, I CAN NO LONGER RECOMMEND IT FOR GENERAL BLACK STREAK REMOVAL. HOWEVER, I WILL LEAVE INTACT THE FULL TEXT OF MY ORIGINAL POST, WHICH FOLLOWS HERE...

One of the things you're inundated with when you start RVing is the number of cleaining products out there...especially for the outside of the unit. And, these products frequently have huge prices!

When my wife and I begain RVing, an acquaintance recommended something that we're never without..."Great Value All-Purpose Cleaner" from Wal*Mart. It comes in a white bottle with a green and yellow label and spray head. GVAPC is found in the same aisle as 409, Fantastik, and other spray cleaners. It's only 97 cents for a 32-oz bottle.

Although it was probably designed for kitchens and tabletops (where we frequently use it), we use it mostly for exterior streak removal. We've used the name-brand 8-buck-a-bottle streak cleaner, but GVAPC blows it away hands-down! It just melts the streaks away, and they wash off without any scrubbing. It's really good for softening bug splatter, too!

In all the years we've used GVAPC, we've never had a problem with damage, bleaching, or chalking.

Check it out next time you're in the market for black streak cleaner. If it's not the best you've ever used on black streaks, you've only spent 97 cents to find out, and you still have a really good kitchen and bath cleaner.

(If your Wal*Mart doesn't stock it, they may be able to order it for you...the UPC code is 078742-432922).

*This Message was edited on 14-Apr-02 01:40 PM by SledDriver*

*This Message was edited on 16-Apr-02 05:49 PM by SledDriver*

Tom & Sherry
Kenosha, WI
2002 Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS
3 Sons
1 Yellow Lab

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/02 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANKS, will pick some up Mon and give it a try.

Happy Rv'in

charwell

Richwood, Kentucky, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/02 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks ! We will also get some and try it!

Charlie & Ida Margaret
1996 Monaco Dynasty 38' Class A
2002 Pontiac Grand Am
Blue Ox Alladin towbar
Brake Buddy supplement
FMCA F296380

Camperz

Toronto, OH USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/02 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased a bottle of this cleaner today and will be using it soon. Thanks for the tip...I am hoping it works!

Dave1954

Shelby Twp. MI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/02 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Tom ,Thanks for the info ,all the money I spend on different types of cleaners and the space they take up it will be nice to narrow it down to one bottle , will pick up a bottle tomorrow and try it.
Dave

Dave & Shelly
2001 Hurricane 35 Ft.W/Slide Model 34K
Steer-Safe & Monroe Magnum Shocks
Towing a 2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4
With a Brake Buddy.
Two Pomeranians {Fur Balls}
Boo-Boo Bear & Princess Tara Of Sunny Hill
{ain't that a snobby name for a dog}

SledDriver

Kenosha, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/02 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually clean my RV in sections of about 6' wide at a time. Since streaks are normally at the top (and sometimes under windows) I spray them first with GVAPC, then wash the lower half of the unit while the spray works. Then, when I go back to wash the streaks, they just melt away.

Sometimes if it's cool or overcast outside, I'll spray all the streaks along the length of the coach (front to back), then come back to the front and begin washing.

Linda VA2

Madison, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/02 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The former owners of our 5th wheel recommended using "spray on foam" bathroom cleaner, a.e. Mr. Bubbles, etc. Works great on the whole rv - cleans it and it actually looks shiny when done. The black streaks just foam away with rubbing. We use the cheapest store brand we can get and it usually takes about 3/4 of a can to do the job. Our friends tried it on their fiberglass motorhome and had the same results.
Linda

EDucator

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/02 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this stuff today and it contains bleach as stated on the label. Dunno if there is a non-bleach equivalent as this was the only GVAPC on the shelf. Yes it was $ .97

I tried it on an inconspicuous area with black streaks and it did absolutely nothing. To be 100% honest, the streaks came off pretty good simply by rubbing with my finger and plain water! Although pricey, Butch's Speedball has always worked for me, from streaks to awnings. I'm very leery about the bleach causing me more long term damages or costs than of saving a difference of several dollars from buying "RV Approved" cleaning solutions. I certainly wouldn't let GVAPC to get within any distance of the EDPM roof as a precaution!!

ED

I'm the lucky one; my wife is the one who married the idiot!!

2002 Ram 2500HD Quadcab 4x4 - 8L V-10 - Fisher MM plow - Tekonsha Prodigy
2001 28' Hornet Reese Dual Cam

EDucator

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/02 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the bottle you purchased have the bleach included in its formula? Maybe that is why I saw feeble results.

SledDriver

Kenosha, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/02 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EDucator,

Sorry it didn't seem to work for you...it has never failed us. I can say that I've never used it on a rubber roof; only on body panels, awning arms, etc.

I'd be interested to see feedback from all the others who indicated they would pick some up and try it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Little All-Around Cleaner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS