|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Survived first outing in new TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
26rsboston

Boston

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back from our 3 day weekend with the 3 boys. Whew!
So far everything worked in the new TT. THANKS to everyone on this forum helping me find checklists and towing tips, etc.

The Outback/Suburban/Equalizer/Prodigy combo towed nicely on the highway and was easy to hitch and unhitch.

I should NOT have listened to my mother (who has a Class A Bounder) about the RV refrigerators being slow to cool up. I put our dinner meat in freezer worried that it would not stay cold enough. It froze solid. Oh well, we figured out the defrost function on the microwave after we figured out that both circuit breakers had to be tripped at the electric hookup after we thought the microwave was broken because all the lights worked and how come the microwave won't??? It only took us about an hour to get the meat unfrozen after my DH stopped ribbing me about not believing the freezer would really freeze. Now I know I can bring ice cream and pops for the kids.

Packing up with my checklist was a great help, but I still forgot to close one window, it was the one in the back we can't reach without pulling out the rear slide to reach the knob to close. Of course everything was stowed in our lovely front storage bin and the supports for the slide were on the bottom. I think our neighbors got a good laugh watching us unpack everything. (I am going to put a sticker on the back window facing out with the checklistlose windows!Flatten dinette and couch.unhook pins and plug!)

The trailer was very comfortable and the fantastic fan/Fan Mate combo we had put in the bunkhouse really kept it comfortable inside.

All and all, it was a fun trip. We don't miss the tent one bit!

I won't talk about the tree and the bumper and the 700$ estimate....that is for another forum.... Now to call my mother and give her the long story.

Thanks again to all the helpful advice I have received from all of you out there. Happy Camping!

It is 80 degrees out and the sunset is spectacular.

Karen
26rs Outback/'02Suburban1500/4x4/3.73/Outnumbered by boys 4 to 1!

bigbird

Edmonton,Alberta/Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad that the maiden voyage was a success. Sounds like you had a great time and learned a little in the process.
Happy camping
Bigbird

Troodles

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/02 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on your first outing!

We had our first outing this weekend, too. Mr. Turbo was driving the new truck and tt at about 50 on a narrow, 2-lane rolling hill highway in rural Wisconsin, still getting used to the electric brakes, when a gaggle of geese suddenly decided the middle of the road would be a much better place to roost than the small pond on the side of the road. They had just made their decision to move as we were crested the hill about 15 feet from them.

While the goose feathers all remained unruffled, the same cannot be said for Mr. Turbo's...

Like you, we have been reading tips on this forum, and have a loose-leaf notebook filled with checklists, etc. Last weekend it was in a very safe place, at home on the end table.

We were the first campers of the season at the state park, even the pit toilets weren't ready for use! There were snow piles on the campsites, the main road to the park was flooded and then we had a thunderstorm Saturday night--but we had a great time!

turboladybug
Frontier 2303F
Silverado 1500

donscomp

Camarillo,CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!
Thanks for posting about your 1st outing.
Can't wait for ours.
Tree? Ahhh I am sure we will find a couple also in our 1st couple times. Well, maybe not a tree. But SOMETHING stationary. LOL

Don & Debbie

*This Message was edited on 16-Apr-02 07:37 PM by donscomp*

**2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH**
** Wish we were Fulltime **
** Friends Of Bill W. **

**GIT-R-DONE!!**

Camperz

Toronto, OH USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You lived to tell the story...wonderful!

BigMamaKat

Poughkeepsie, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/02 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on a positive first outing. Sort of reminds me a bit of my first outing with my pop-up and my TT. Setting up the pop-up the first time was a comedy show - especially the awning. We could have sold tickets for that one. I guess we didn't listen during the demo as well as we should have. Luckily some nice people came by and gave us a hand with it. Boy - talk about feeling embarassed when we saw how easy it was and how silly we looked.
As for the tree - we had our mishap with the TT at a gas station - first fill up - well you know the deal. I'm very happy they have those posts at the ends of the gas tanks. Oh let's not forget bending the anti-sway control pulling out of the driveway, or the trailer brake pulling out driving down the road. (The trailer brakes really do work) I guess we all have our first trip adventures. That's what makes it all the more fun.

Me, Shpilkah and
Hawkeye the Camping Cat

2002 H/R Atlantis 30PBS
Nissan 200SX Toad
Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar
Remco Lube Pump
Steer Safe
SMI Brake
Big Foot Hydro Levelers

PRT

NY~FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How neat to read! Glad you had fun.
No matter how long we all camp, we all have first outings with new rigs, long times away from the road, whatever...but it is so much fun.
The more bells and whistles you have, the more the bells can ring and the whistles "whistle." As my husband says, "Are you making a list?"
Have a great season camping with your family.
Pat

26rsboston

Boston

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/02 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Steve and Leanne,
The walk through went well, the tech was in a bit of a hurry, but whenever I or my spouse stopped him to ask for more details, he did. I had to insist that he show us how to tighten the lug nuts and how to lower the stabilizers, we checked all four, all were fine.
Once inside I let him go through all the systems. There was still the pink antifreeze in the lines, so we asked them to de-winterize it so we could check all of the water connections for leaks. No problems found. We made him wait while we opened and closed every window, every blind, every vent (we had a fantastic fan put in the bunkhouse, really works great) we checked all of the elec. outlets, radio, played a cd in the player, lit the stoves, etc.
On inspection of all of the hinges on the cabinets, we found 3 loose ones, easily tightened, but I can tell that we will probably need to put in different screws at some point after some time.

I was upset to find water puddles under the dinnette cushion nearest to the slide out and on the floor under the dinnette. I had them take a hose outside and sure enough, if the hose is held horizontally, you can squirt water directly into the unit at the point where the raingutter on the side of the slideout meets the rubber seal. The service mangager,Chris I think, came out to help us trouble shoot the source of the puddle. We all agreed the water came from an over enthusiastic person hosing down the trailer. After we dried off the floor and cushions, we had them run water over the top,and the sides, as rain would normally flow, and no leaks were found. It rained both nights of our trip and no leaks occured.

The other noted problem was a design change made by the manufacturer; a cabinet door is now just a shelf in the bunkhouse. We made a note of it on the sheet we signed off on that we would find a door to fit the space. Keystone has offered to send us one, we will install it.

We use an equalizer hitch which is working fine. We have a set of Mckesh mirrors that are very easy to put on and off the suburban. The prodigy works great, no jerking or stuttering.

Our test drive was the drive home, no problems driving over the hills in Kingston or 495. If we had had any problems, we could have brought it back. Thankfully, all systems are working. We are very pleased with the unit.

Good luck picking yours up, plan on about 2 hours, and don't hesitate to ask them to stop and answer questions. Bring any checklists you have, bring a measuring tape,a notebook and pen to write down anything you find that you want fixed before you bring it home.

Be prepared NOT to bring it home if anything major is wrong. We were anxious to take it out that weekend, but I am glad my spouse insisted that we not pay in full until we were satisfied with the orientation/walk through.

Let us know when you get it!

Best regards,

4floyds

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/02 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Karen,

Glad to hear your first outing went well. We are supposed to pick our Outback up next Wednesday. Since you bought yours at the same place, I was wondering how your walkthrough went. Did they let you use a hose to check for leaks? How long did it take you to do the walk through? Did they do a pretty good job at checking everything before you arrived? Also, what kind of a test drive did they allow you? I requested a test drive and it consisted of turning right out of the parking lot up the hill to the Mobile Station and back to their lot.

I am having them take out the Draw Tite Brake Controller and they are putting in the Prodigy and also I am having them install the Reese Dual Cam - what type of Sway Control did they install on your vehicle?

Thanks for all the useful info you have provided.

Ginger200

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This all took me back to my first outing in our new pop-up (we have since traded it in on a TT and love it). We went to a campground for our first three day weekend (Memorial day and the campground was packed). We were all set up and everything was cozy and just as we sat down to relax the power went out. Then back on. Then back out. It didn't come back on this time and it was scorching hot. No fan, no ac, no radio!

I walked very far up a hill back to the office only to be told that someone rented the sites for "tents only" to pop ups since they were so busy. The power on that side of the campground couldn't handle the ampage of the popups with AC and refrigerators. Fortuantely there was one last site left for bigger campers that had higher ampage. We had to pack everything up - awning (which are a mess to roll and unroll on pop ups - not automatic like the TT, and remember this was our first time trying it!!!), patio rug, chairs, coolers, crank down the pop up...I was so upset and aggravated I swore to my husband that was our last camping adventure. I was ready to sell the popup and return to vacationing at hotels like I was used to.

The happy ending is once we moved the trailer and set back up the weekend ended up being lovely. I have been an avid camper ever since. I do however love the decision we made recently to trade in the pop up for a beautiful 25 foot Fleetwood travel trailer. The beauty is you just unhitch and you're ready to GO!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Survived first outing in new TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS