|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tire pressure monitors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ChuckA

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/02 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to set up a practical system for my motorhome and I'm looking for user experiences. There are numerous systems out there, internal, external, and axle heigth.

Life is Good

Best improvement, wife 2.0 21 FANTASTIC yrs ago
2001 35' Georgie Boy w/V10, 220watts solar w/SolarBoost 2000, 4-T105 batteries, Trimetric
Saturn Vue Hybrid toad w/Falcon bar & Brakemaster
BlueLogger

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/02 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking at them also. Have not found one I like so far.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

ChuckA

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/02 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't look like anyone is using them at this time. Advantage Pressure Pro is supposed to release their product at the end of May. The price sound right, about $40 per tire, and I like the idea that they will be on the valve stems where you can change the batteries without opening the tire. I hope this works out.

plascell

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/02 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using the Smartire system for 3 years. After 2 blowouts on my little 20ft Coachman, I spent the $380 (including install) It has warned me on two ocassions that allowed me to resolve the problem without total loss of the tires (they were patched). It is well worth the peace of mind to know everything is OK back there since it reports tire pressure to the lb and temperature, checking for overheating bearings or dragging brakes. I adjusted mine to be so sensitive it will tell me when I drive into rain/wet pavement and the cooling causes pressure drop of only a few lbs, but because it is a drop of say 4 lbs within 1 minute, it gives a minor alarm. The readout unit is totally programable to your normal pressure and at what points/levels you want to be notified. The current cost for Smartire First generation is $200, but you pay to have the wheel transmitters installed on the rim and then re-balanced. Go to www.smartire.com to start, and then look to the distributor TireRack at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/accessories/smartire1.jsp For 6 wheels, it may cost a bit more for 2 more transmitters, but the display will show up to 6 tires. The system operates at 433 mhz spread spectrum, but doesn't cause interference to my UHF ham radio equipment. I'll order a new Smartire system for my new 5er I'll be taking delivery on next month. The batteries last up to 7 years. There is a centrifical switch that turns them on at 7-10 mph.

Pete

*This Message was edited on 24-Apr-02 09:20 PM by plascell*

Pete W4WWQ DX70 IC-2800 Pressure-Pro X-10 camera
2006 Chevy 3500 CC LB 4WD DRW Duramax auto-6
2003 Cardinal 29WB LX EU3000is Roto-Choks 300W from www.amsolar.com

ken1373

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/02 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pete, I went to www.smartire.com site and they state that currently their product only capable of working on tire with 65psi or less. Rhey claim that a commercial version that will handle tires up to 150psi. No product relase date is available. Thus, it does not sound like they have a product for those of us with 19" tires and larger. What size tires and psi are you running, Ken Roberts, Littleton, MA....

ChuckA

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/02 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just reading the specs on TireSafe in the latest Camping World catalog. I have 19.5 tires, 85 psi cold. According to the chart I would have to use the 80 psi sensor. It states "Sensor will alarm when the pressure falls below 67% of sensor rating." That would mean that I would not be warned until my tires got down to 53.6 psi. That sound way too low to me.

Michelin says if a tire is 20% below the cold pressure is considered flat, in my case 68 psi. Flat is too late. An article by TireCheck says on a car, 5 psi low drops gas mileage by 10%.

Michelin has a good video just for motorhomes that you may be able to get by calling 800-847-3435. The RV web site is www.michelintruck.com

w4wwq

Forest, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/02 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Generation-II system is limited in max pressure. The First Generation system is available and reads to 127 lbs, and up to six tires. My application was on a 20' Coachman and the tire pressure was 50lbs. The Smartire web page sorta passes the buck to the distributors and then the information is hard to find. Probably a phone call to their 800# would get good information. When I purchased a few years ago, I dealt directly with Smartire. Recently from From: Shelley Lammers (Customer Service Manager) [mailto:selammers@smartire.com] Sent: April 17, 2002 "Our second generation system has been released for passenger car use only with the exception of single axle trailers. I do not have a release date on our Gen II system for Light Trucks/RV's. Our Gen I system for light Truck/RV is still available through our distributors with a maximum of six tire locations, maximum readable pressure is 127 psi." Shelley has been very helpful in answering all the techical questions I had. She even had their engineers contact me with answers. The Smartire First Generation system is the way to go!. It will allow us techie types to program it completely (unfortunatly not with a laptop though) using the two buttons on the display unit. Pete

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Pete

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tire pressure monitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS