|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Non-towing truck tire pressure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hallsboy

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/02 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tire pressure information on my 2500HD states 50 psi in the front tires and 80 psi in rear tires. I understand the 80 when I am towing my FW, but it seems excessive when I am not hauling the trailer or any other load. It seems to me that running 80 psi in the rear tires unloaded will cause the tires to wear more in the center. Anyone have any experience in what tire pressure works the best?

Hallsboy
2002 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0, 4.10, 4x4
2002 Cougar 278, Reese 16K w/ slider

hangman

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/02 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drop your pressure to 70 psi, it won't ride as rough !

The Hangman

*This Message was edited on 27-Apr-02 07:19 PM by hangman*

Flattop

Topeka, KS

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/02 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hallsboy, My truck (F-250) indicates 80 psi in the rear and 60 psi on the front tires. Whether pulling or not, I try to keep them at that pressure. Far, far far to many people under inflate their tires causing premature wear on the outside of the tire.

I highly doubt you'll experience additional wear on the inside of the tire tread running 80 psi without pulling if thats what your tires are rating for. My tires are wearing fine. Only have a bit over 10K on them.

Flattop

lonescout

Monument, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/02 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halsboy, I can't believe that you asked this question and I just sent off a lengthy e-mail to an engineer-friend of mine asking him the same question.

We all have the same dilema with light truck tire pressures. Your tire and your truck manufacturer, don't care how hard your truck rides empty. They care about your attorney coming after them when you do something dumb with their tires.

I once did an analysis on an SUV and the OEM tires and found out that I could run the tires at much less pressure than they recommended. There were no adverse problems and no adverse wear on the tires and they were still "flat" across the top after 58,000 miles and according to the manufacturers, the tires were severely underinflated. I monitored the pressures regularily.

I bought a "tread depth" gauge and it is as important as your tire pressure gauge and gets as much use. When towing my 5th wheel, I use 55 PSI in the front and 65 PSI in the rear. The pin weight of the 5th wheel, is 1000# in the truck bed. One sure way to gauge your tire pressure is to feel the tires (all 8 of them) while travelling. If the rear truck tires feel significantly warmer than the front truck tires or the trailer tires, add more pressure in the truck tires up to the maximum on the side wall. Do the air increase when the tires are cold. A 5# pressure increment is a good way to increase tire pressure gradually. If the sun is shining on one side more than the other, then you will feel a sgnificantly warmer temperature on the sunny side. Don't compare temperatures on one side to the other side. They will be different.
I never run the recommended tire pressure when running solo. Always lower. No problems whatsoever!!!!Remember to reinflate before towing!!!

Good luck on your decision if you decide to reduce the pressure.

Lonescout

1996 Ford F-250 460 CID 4x4 off-road pkg S/B
1996 26' Wilderness 5th wheel no slides
GCVW 14,000# +/- depending upon the trip.

Hesaskip

Bay Minette, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a difference in lowering pressure on 8 ply tires and the lower pressure being run on the SUV tires which I never did do.
I always lowered the pressure on my 8 ply from 80 lbs when towing and recommended PSIG to 60 lbs when solo. Makes the truck ride a lot better and the tires continue to wear evenly and no safety factor involved. On my MH now with Michelin tires 22.5, pressure can be lowered if the load is lighter but maximum speed has to be decreased.

4wheel

Walnut Island, Grandy N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My C-3500 Dually calls for 65# front and rear.
When not towing, I run 45# in the rear to soften
the ride. 13,000 miles and no problems.

*This Message was edited on 30-Apr-02 11:20 AM by 4wheel*

2003 Bounder 32W
V-10,Steer Safe
Davis Tru Trac
Henderson's Rear Trac-Bar
02 Xterra 4X4 Auto
They say it can't be towed,
but I Toad it anyway,
Aventa II & Brake Buddy
And now, Centramatic

jayhawker

Topeka,KS

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Dodge 2500 also calls for 80lbs rear and 50lbs in the front. My Michelin dealer said he would inflate to 80 psi both front and rear when towing.

What are the rest of you inflating to when towing?

jayhawker

Gunpilot77

Killeen, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck came with a load/tire pressure chart from goodyear. After getting the truck weighed, both loaded and unloaded I use the pressures from the chart. 45PSI front all the time, 40 rear unloaded and 50 loaded (it's a duelly). I didn't get a load chart with my 5er so e-mailed goodyear and they sent me one. Anyone who drives at max PSI unloaded is a glutton for punishment and has an unlimited tire replacement budget IMO.

Fifth wheel pulled with a pick-up

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have touched on what appears to be on of the great mysteries of life - well, at least of the rv world!

When I put this rig together I called Goodyear direct, 3 Goodyear dealers, the truck dealer and the trailer dealer.

Would you believe (and I think you would) that none of them came up with the same answer!

I have load range E tires all around - both truck and trailer (did not see anyone mentioning the load range on their tires). Load range E is 80 psi max.

I run the four tires on the trailer at the 80 psi.

The sticker for the truck says 70 in the front and 65 on the DRW. I generally try to have them at that when unloaded; I might soften the front ones a bit and run 65 all around.

Based on the consensus of all the info I got I run 65 to 70 on the front (match them) and 70-75 on the DRW's (also match the 4 of them) when trailering.

These are "cold" temps but cold temps at home at 8000 feet in the mountains and now here in Tucson at 90 degrees are a lot different as well.

But ROTATE - and don't forget the spare. I try to do that every 10,000 miles.

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

Gunpilot77

Killeen, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have load range D tires on the truck (65psi max) and loan range G tires on the 5er (110psi max). I run 100 psi on the left side and 90 on the right side because the bed room and kitchen slides are both on the left side and it weighs more.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Non-towing truck tire pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS