|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Driving with propane on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wayward Wind

Kenmore WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/02 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently purchased a 2002 class C and wonder about driving with the propane on. I have been told that the new ones have an automatic shut off in case of accident so it's OK to drive with it on. However, I have also been told never drive with the propane on. Any advice would be appreciated.

L.D.

Greenwood, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing or driving rv's for over 25 years from one coast to the other. We never shut off the propane tanks. My rig is in the driveway now after being in Talladega for the races. The gas is still on.

None of my friends turn their gas off either and my dealer (in business for 42 years) says turning the gas off is pointless.

Consider this. If you are struck by a semi at the propane tanks, do you really think it will matter if the valves are open or closed?

IN looking at accidents for the last 28 years, I have never found, nor have I heard of, any accident or fire caused by travelling with the valve on.

I would be more concerned about leaving the pilot lights on while sleeping.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This issue has been addressed several times in the last year,check the search feature for past discussions.

IF you travel with your propane on (which we do), you need to be more conscious of maintanance. I replace the propane regulator every 5 years as I do with all rubber products-- it is only around $20-30. You need occasionally check your propane hoses/piping for leaks and make sure your propane appliances are performing properly. This includes the refrigerator's annual burner cleanout.

When refueling or anywhere near a possible source of flammable material you need to BOTH TURN OFF THE PROPANE AND TURN OFF ANY AUTOMATIC APPLIANCE THAT RUNS ON PROPANE. EVEN IF THE PROPANE IS OFF, IF YOU HAVE AN AUTO IGNITE REFRIG OR HOT WATER HEATER, THE ELECTRIC SPARK COULD IGNITE FLAMMABLES.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thing to add to Wolfe10's reply is to turn off ANY appliance whether gas or electric before you refuel. Though the chances of a fire or explosion are quite small, it is still possible. Even a cellphone could potentially cause a spark and ignite a fire when dealing with gas. It's better to be safe than sorry!

Mike
2001 Lazy Daze 26.5MB

L.D.

Greenwood, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cdc:

The race last Sunday at Talladega was great. Not so with the one on Saturady. That had to be as boring a race as I have ever witnessed.

More than the race, we all enjoyed the party atmosphere in the afternoons before race days and then at night after the races. It felt great to finally be able to take five days off work (first time in 9 years) and enjoy myself. Usually the best I can hope for is a two day trip unless I am on business some place. Then I get to see the sights, enjoy my camper and earn a couple of dollars also.

Has it gotten warm over your way yet?

cdc

New Braunfels,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/02 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L.D.
That was a super reply to a question that needed answering.
How was the race at Talledega?

Corky, Gracie, and the Herd
HR Imperial DP
Jeep Liberty

gswanson

Yucca Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kusani: Cell phones - - interesting point. There are switches and switches can [usually] spark. Does the NFPA class cell phones as "intrinsicaly safe"? That would be the only proof that I know of that they cannot spark.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, re turning off the gas when refueling; however, cell phones CAN NOT cause a spark as they are solid state electronics.

Happy Rv'in

Fabguy

Auburn, Washigton

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this discussion with my father in law last summer. The discussion ended very quickly when I pointed out to him that a gasoline spill in an accident is FAR more dangerous than a propane leak. Propane needs to be compressed to a certain degree to burn/explode. Gasoline is FAR less picky about it.

Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Dual Cam HP

Pulling a 2004 Sprinter 274 RLS

dales

Magalia, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some bridges in the East have strict requirements about this, namely that all propane operated devices must be turned off and all tank valves closed. I remember reading this in one of the Rving magazines, but can't tell you which one, or which bridges are affected. Just fyi...

Dale & Gloria - Magalia, CA1997 Dodge 2500 HD SLT Club Cab 4x4 Diesel Longbed 4.10 - Prodigy2002 Keystone Montana 2955RL 5erIBM Corporation, retired.Email us here.This is our rig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Driving with propane on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS