|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire presure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BillCatlett

Currituck NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your experiance, What is the best front tire presure to run on 87 Winnabago 33?

WinneChief

Maplewood, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are LOTS of threads on this topic, Bill. Weigh each wheel, and inflate both tires to the recommended pressure to carry the weight of the heavier wheel. It's going to depend on what brand of tires you have. Bridgestone, Michelin and Goodyear all post their load and inflation tables on the internet.

I have Michelin tires which are rated at 3640 pounds at 85 psi. I don't have quite that much weight on the front axle, so I run mine around 80 psi. I have Bridgestones on the rear which require more pressure to carry a similar load. So, as you can see, it will vary.

Jay

Click here to see our ’87 Winnebago Chieftain 31RT

454, Banks, K & N, Fun!!

The link below takes you to photos of my old rig...
1945 Flxible Clipper

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill,

Jay is exactly right on the correct way to determine the correct tire pressure. However, until you do weigh your individual wheel positions:

The worse setting for tire pressure is not to check them at all or take other's armchair advice.

Better is what is printed on the tire itself, though it will only be correct if the tire is carrying its maximum load (remember the label on the tire says "max load AT --PSI"). If your tires provide you with an adequate reserve, you will find this setting will have you well overinflated.

Better is what is stated on the RV manufacturer's GWVR sticker (that small plaque usually near the driver's seat). It will show GAWR (A for axle) and a correct tire pressure which corresponds to the axle CARRYING THE MAXIMUM LOAD FOR WHICH THAT AXLE WAS DESIGNED.

Better is to weight all axles, then using the axle weights to go to the tire manufacturers chart/online/call to determine their recommended pressure for your specific tire carrying that weight.

BEST IS TO WEIGH ALL WHEEL POSITIONS. USE THE HEAVIER WHEEL POSITION ON EACH AXLE TO GO TO THE CHARTS TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT PRESSURE FOR ALL TIRES ON THAT AXLE (all tires on an axle to have the same pressure).

THIS IS ONE AREA THAT IS SAFETY CRITICAL. PLEASE, PLEASE OPINIONS ARE NOT VALUABLE HERE. IF IN DOUBT, CALL THE TIRE MANUFACTURER'S RV HOTLINE. MICHELIN'S IS 800-642-4354

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/02 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an 84 Airstream 34.5' coach and owners manual recommended 65psi front and 60psi in duals and tag.

C. Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

ecdonken

FL. 32FT. WIN ADVENTURER 2001

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On mine Ford says 80 and Winnebago says 70, so i compromise at 75lbs.

mlg 626

Il

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/02 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last MH was 89 Super Chief 19.5 I keep 75lb it's weight 4720lb on front and 9820lb on the rear, and the Michelin book called for 60lb front and 65lb rear. I went with 75 so if I would change the load I didn't have to change the pressure.
You should weigh it and then look it up at the tire dealer.
If you do a search you will find plenty of reading on this.

GMB

Oregon, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/02 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wes Caughlan of MotorHome magazine recommends inflating "radial" tires 10psi over cold inflation pressure molded on tire sidewall !!!!

GMB
OREGON

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/02 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WESS IS WRONG. 10 PSI over the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure FOR THAT WEIGHT maybe-- if you are running at high speeds. 10 PSI OVER THE MAXIMUM RATED PRESSURE FOR THE TIRE (max weight at max pressure is what is molded into the tire sidewall) is WRONG. If your actual weight is reasonably under the tire's max rated capacity (which hopefully it is no you have some reserve), his advice could lead you to OVER INFLATING YOUR TIRES BY 20 PSI OR MORE.

THIS IS A SAFETY MATTER AS WELL AS A COMFORT, HANDLING AND TIRE LONGEVITY MATTER. DO NOT DECIDE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BY CONSENSUS OR OPINION. IF IN DOUBT, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE ADVICE OF OTHERS, CALL YOUR TIRE MANUFACTURER, TELL THEM YOUR TIRE SIZE AND MODEL AND YOUR ACTUAL WEIGHTS (HOPEFULLY INDIVIDUAL WHEEL POSITION WEIGHTS-- IN WHICH CASE YOU WOULD USE THE HEAVIER WHEEL POSITION ON AN AXLE TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT PRESSURE FOR ALL TIRES ON THAT AXLE).

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/02 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2001 Winn. Adventurer. Winn says 90 rear 80 frt.Michelin has 95 psi. on tire I run 90 psi. frt/rear. 245/70R 19.5 LRF

bill h

hassayampa valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/02 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that every RV wheel has a maximum pressure. Many RVs have tires that have a maximum pressure well above the wheel's maxumum pressure.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire presure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS