|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Streak of Bad Luck and Stupidity

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bax

Kensington, CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/02 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the Newbee messed-up. This past weekend I hooked up to the Fifth Wheel to take her out to practice backing in. Was over excited and did not take a walk around. When I pulled out I didn't raise my rear stabilizer jacks and ripped them off the trailer. After correcting that I continued on to find out that my break away cable is too long. When I made a turn it caught the hitch rails and pulled the pin. I did not realize it for a couple of blocks. Then to top the weekend off on Monday while driving to work a deer hit me! Just ran out and broadsided me. Their over $2000 in damage with less than 3000 miles on the truck. Bummer.

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Extended Cab Duramax
2002 Gulf Stream Conquest Fifth Wheel
Pull Rite Hitch / Prodigy

MEC

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/02 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geeeezzzz ... Greg!! ... What a streak .... Glad you live in CT instead of LA (just in case its a virus!)

Seriously ... complain as we may about insurance premiums, ain't you glad you got it??!

... and none of us who are not newbeeies have EVER made mistakes with OUR units!! ... now you're not a newbee anymore!

Good luck, and happy traveling ....

Mike Camp
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

adVentureMan

Memphis, TN, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/02 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good gracious! You sound like me before I started using checklists!

Well, it could have been worse. Sounds like nobody was hurt, which is more important than the damage to the truck and FW, right?

One thing I keep in mind, even when I am RUSHED (actually mainly when I'm rushed) is "GOAL" - "get out and look". I didn't come up with that, but I wish I had.

Before putting the truck in 'drive' the last thing I always do (knock on wood)is check:
landing gear up?
stabilizers up?
steps up?
umbilical cord and breakaway attached?

Since you had your mishap early, maybe it's a good thing: I bet you're VERY careful from here out, and maybe that will prevent you or you spouse getting hurt.

Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?

kenrmoss

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/02 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg,

I'm sorry to hear about that! It is always miserable having something happen to your new toy.

If it makes you feel any better, I ripped the rear jacks off of my last TT the first time I took it out. I was stupid enough to think I could drag it through the ATM drive through because it was a straight shot. Well, I cut the corner a little close pulling out and a concrete foundation footing for a post nailed my jack

Ken

DougnDee

Corvallis, OR USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/02 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like there is something about new stuff! Upon arriving at our home with our new Cameo the first time, my husband backed it in between our house and the neighbor's, backing into the neighbor's gutter and scratching the gel-coat. Then the first time we pulled out to go camping, he forgot to put the little pin in the lock on the hitch (Husky hitch) and dropped the Cameo onto the bed rails of the pickup, doing $4,000. worth of damage to the truck!! Since he is a truck driver with 40 years of experience with 5th wheel hitches and backing much longer trailers ..... Well, you get the picture. He was more than mortified! Especially since he hasn't even scratched a company truck in over 4 million miles!!

The moral is--when you are excited and nervous about your new stuff....Stuff Happens.

Hang in there, and have fun.
Dee

*This Message was edited on 07-May-02 09:53 AM by DougnDee*

Doug,Dee & Shoni
'02 Cameo LXI,
'07 Dodge Cummins 2500,6Spd,Quad,4X2,LWB,PacBrake,AirLift, Bright White

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/02 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owwwwwch!! They say that things come in threes, so you should be covered now.

I agree with Doug; the checklists are a must even though we know what needs to be done, it only takes once.

Try to put it behind you and go camping!

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

sreardon

Limoges, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/02 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations!

You have just graduated.

Sorry to hear about the damage. I hope you can get on the road soon.

Steve

Steve Reardon
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch,PSD,CC,DRW,LB,4.10ls, 4x4
2005 Glendale Titanium 34E39QS

hohiso

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/02 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like new toy damage is mighty common !

Got rear ended once driving a new car home from the dealer. Now I'm super cautious for the first trip in anything.

My new Aerolite came with an 'old' electric plug. Worn around the edges. Don't know what the dealer was up to there. Got lots of honks and finger waves during the first 10 miles home 'cause the turn signals and brake lights and things were intermittent. Towing it back to the dealer the next day - you guessed it - a faster-than-light NAPA Auto delivery guy cut inside my right rear and I turned into him without ever seeing him. No turn signal he said - and was probably right. No damage to him. $400 damage to me (from my pocket) and a ticket from the cop to add insult to injury.

The dealer helped a little bit with the cost of repairs. Not enough. Never been back and its been 4 years.

Regards, Allen
2005 Silverado SB, 2500HD Crew Cab, D/A, 42 gal aux tank, Garmin 1490T, XM Sat Radio,
2005 Alpenlite Valhalla, 16K Reese Manual Sliding Hitch,
Tonka the Rat Terrier guards the rig.
Lucky the Chihuahua guards Tonka.

tech47

Grosse Pointe Woods Mi. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/02 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some real horror stories here. Guess I can consider myself lucky 3 RVs in 3 years not even a scratch. My method is simple,no matter how careful I think I have been, I find myself jumping out of the truck for one last walk around before I pull out,just in case.

ROBERT & VIRGINIA HAMILTON
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually H.O. Cummins Quad Cab,Auto,4WD,3.73 Posi.
2004 Cardinal 33TS LX Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
U.S. AIR FORCE(Retired)
Rally Attendance "3"

Our Homepage

Rhut

Plymouth, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/02 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post! We all need the reminder that these things can happen. It's been a while since I had any mishap, but all it takes is for something to get me unfocused at that critical moment and you break the routine, and wham - you forget.
Thanks for the reminder !

2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab

2000 Dutchman 26RK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Streak of Bad Luck and Stupidity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts