RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fiberglass or rubber roofs?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fiberglass or rubber roofs?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
modemgirlz

MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/02 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading some of the posts here .. came across one about figerglass roofs ... I would like to know what is better? I have heard pros and cons about both .. I do hate the black streaks with rubber roofs .. I am thinking of figerglass if i order a new MH.

TropicalRV

Zephyrhills, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no doubt in my mind that fiberglass is a superior material to rubber. My first M/H had a rubber roof and I hated it. It is hard to clean, leaves streaks of all kinds, and looks UGLY! All those cleaners and protectants that are on the market don't work at all. My new rig, a National Tropi-cal has a fiberglass roof and I am totally satisfied with it.

Paul Stakun
2001 Tropical 6350, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRX

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norm,

Good testimonial for advantage of rubber roofs. The material they're currently using doesn't seem to have the streaking problems like the older rubber roofs. I have one on mine, looks more like some type of vinyl material, and so far no problems. (knock on wood)

C. Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Peralko

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/02 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a rubber roof on our last coach. It never leaked so it was functional. However, I had a gust of wind pick up the main awining in Death Valley, and one of the arms tore a hole in the rubber roof. Dealer put a patch on it, which didn't leak either, but then I was stuck with an ugly patch. A fiberglass roof would probably have withstood the impact, and if not it could have been repaired to where you would not have been able to tell.
And then, of course there are the black streaks!

Peralko
USAF Retired
95 Country Coach Affinity
2006 Nissan Maxima

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't have to wax a rubber roof.

Waxing the roof

Although I have only limited experience with a fiberglass roof, I like it better than rubber.

Tom

*This Message was edited on 10-May-02 12:35 PM by pulsar*

2008 Journey 37H
2006 CR-V toad

Have you seen the RV.Net Blogs? You can subscribe at Blog.RV.Net

Norm Payne

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In June 2000 I was in a terrible hail storm at Hart Ranch in Rapid City, SD. About 350 rigs were in the campground and more in the storage lot. Tennis ball size hail came down for ten minutes. After it was over everybody climbed on their roof to look for damage. Those with fiberglass roofs complained about dents and cracks all over their roofs. None of the rubber roofs had any damage.

My motorhome is nearly three years old and it has a rubber roof. How old does it need to be before I start seeing streaks?

Norm
2005 Dutch Star 4015, Cummins ISL 370 hp
2007 Honda CR-V
See Ya Down The Road
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fiberglass is my choice as it is the choice of the higher end fiberglass motorhomes especially DP's. After the hail storm in Minot, MN at the FMCA convention a few years ago I heard the average cost to repair the Metal Prevosts was over $50,000, the rubber roofs were indented into the luan backing like the metal roofs and the fiberglass roofs were virtually unharmed. That helped me to prefer a fiberglass roof.

Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

coilmaker

Covington,Ga U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/02 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had all three kinds of roofs that have been used over the years. All furnished me with black streaks. When purchasing the unit I now have, I questioned the rubber roof and black streks. As in Norms case who asked when do the streaks start, it was explained to me that the black streaks do not come from the rubber,but instead from the dirt in the air and on the roof itself. There is a cleaner on the market that I have found that does a wonderful job of cleaning all of the roofs and it is environmentally friendly and has no petroleum. I have also used the 2 products I have seen mention here for protectorant and had good results with both. In other words, come to my area and you will have black streaks no matter the roof. Am looking forward to the day I retire and can go to cleaner air not only for the roof, but for other reasons as well.

Ed
370 Santara pusher Toad-Explorer Sport

NewmarGuy

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/02 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rubber roofs may be the trend but last year we had a record hail storm. Rubber roofs were damaged - even the glass on windows and doors had hail stone pits. The fiberglass sides of rv's were not damaged - the local dealer replaced all rubber roofs with a heavier guage than normal galvanized metal - mostly with insurance money.

Newmar Mountain Aire Fifth 33'CKSA - Ford F250 Camper Spec. SC - Hijacker Hitch

Cluemeister

NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/02 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was so excited when I found out the 97 Minnie we had purchased had a fiberglass roof. I had wrongfully assumed it was going to be rubber! I bragged about this expensive "extra" to my wife. She shrugged off my comments.

So one of our first weekends away, we were parked under an oak tree, and as we went to sleep, it got a little breezy outside, and the acorns started to fall off the oak tree about every 2 to 3 minutes. PLOK! PLOK! they hit the fiberglass roof. Just as I was trying to nod off, they would hit randomly, keeping me awake. I immediately thought how they would have sounded like very muffled thuds on a rubber roof, instead of a snare drum. Needless to say wife was unimpressed with our fiberglass roof.

Having said all that, I was still happier with my fiberglas roof, (non tearing, non maintenance) than rubber. Got used to occasional sounds, and tried to avoid parking under oak trees.

If I were getting a seasonal campsite with oak trees around, I would definitely get a travel trailer with a rubber roof.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fiberglass or rubber roofs?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS