|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TANK SENSORS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
juanito28

Camp Verde AZ USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank Sensors - Recently bought a previously owned Bounder 34J and the Black Waste Tank sensors are not working. They show FULL when the tank is empty. I'll try the Gauge Level Cleaner next time I move it to see if that will correct the problem. MEANWHILE, however is there a way to get the tank sensors to work other than internally with the cleaner? Do they generate voltage which can be measured? Any suggestions? Note the Black tank is not translucent (like the other two) so you can't see into it to determine level. Thanks.

home4us

bullhead city,arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

before i got mine working used a flashlight opehed flush valve and looked into tank
not the best but worked untill i got the sensors cleaned
hope this helps

Ralph and Norma
Sassy the wounder cat
1983 pace arrow 94 Ford aspire
praticeing for the time I get a D/P

home page
home4us.irv2.com

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the cleaner doesn't work try the ice cube trick. Put some water in the black tank, and add ice cubes just before you drive off. sometimes works and it's cheap

mitch

Edmond, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/02 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sooner or later everyone just gives up on the sensors and finds their own method. Some are great at estimating; some use the flashlight; some find other creative (or not so creative) ways. One person I know says that when the water begins to back up into the shower, then she knows the grey water tank is full. Not the best method, but works for her. Obviously this wouldn't be the ideal solution for the black water tank.

Mitch, Amanda, and the cats.
29' Class C, Winnebago Chalet

"Inside every older person is a young person wondering what the hell happened."

Buffalobilly

Holiday Island, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/02 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gave up trying to get mine working. The flash light trick is good enough for me. After dewinterizing they worked once and know indicate 2/3 full all the time. Fresh water works most of the time.

Buffalobilly
95 Safari Sahara
230 B Cummins
pulling a 2007 Diesel Grand Cherokee

bflem

Springfield,Mo. Juno Beach,Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ventline who makes most of the monitor panels has a booklet on troubleshooting. The panel has potentiometers,pots, that allow the sensitivity to be adjusted. There is one pot for each tank. You will need the model number and you can call the technical support people at 219-848-4491. The addition of an intank flusher will help the tank stay clean and the monitor read correctly.

Johnsbo

Somewhere,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most everyone else I finally gave up. If it's just me and my wife we can usually last 4 - 5 days and then we dump. I have tried everything and most remedies will last for a while. The best was the ice trick. Put some cleaner in the tank anf fill the tank 2/3 full of water, if you can tell, and then dump in a couple sacks crushed ice. Drive around for 10 - 15 miles, up and down some hills, around corners and curves, etc. to shake up the ice. This should clean off the sensors and will work for a while. If this doesn't work then you probably have some other problem and I have no advise other than to pull everything and that could be a mess. Not worth it in my opinion. I just got used to it.

Bob and Linda
2008 Navion 24H
Cedar Hill, TX

My worst day camping was better than the best day I ever had working.

stevenlit

Keizer, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My problem has always been the grey water tank. I used about 3 gallons of windshield cleaner (like 20/20) in a 1/4 - 1/3 full tank and found it worked well. Took a couple of treatments if i recall. My rig is 14 years old and the sensors work fine. Now, if I could just get the tanks to hold more [grin].

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Steve and Denice Little and "Cookie" a rescued 16 y/o Long Haired Doxie/Papillon mix
2001 40 Ft. Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser - Cummins ISC, Allison World HD, Spartan w/Granning IFS, Onan 7.5K QuietDiesel
2002 Chevy Tracker ZR2 - "The Pup"

hohiso

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I happened to notice that Alpenlite is now using some sort of emitting, non-submerged sensor in their new 5th wheel tanks. That is all I know. Anyone else up on this? Is there a retrofit possibility here?

I too am one of those who has given up on the waste tank sensors.

Regards, Allen
2005 Silverado SB, 2500HD Crew Cab, D/A, 42 gal aux tank, Garmin 1490T, XM Sat Radio,
2005 Alpenlite Valhalla, 16K Reese Manual Sliding Hitch,
Tonka the Rat Terrier guards the rig.
Lucky the Chihuahua guards Tonka.

RichB

Duluth, MN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, with a voltmeter you can check the sensors on the tank. On the side you will note wires attached to the 3-4 "sensors". The lowest one on the tank should have 12 volts dc, use the frame as ground. As fluid level in the tank rises an electrical connection is made as the fluid covers the other sensors. The "sensors" are simply a metal stud that protrudes into the tank.

Check the other sensors, if the tank is empty there should be no voltage on the other sensors. If a sensor has dc voltage and the tank is empty you have material in the tank that must be removed. The above posts apply!

If the tank is filling and not turning on the lights on the monitor you may have a poor connection. If the tank is full you should have voltage on all the sensor connections. If the sensors have voltage and the panel light(s) are not turning on note which lights are not on. The tank sensors correspond to the tank sensors bottom to top. Check the wire connection for the sensor(s), the connection may be loose or corroded. If the tank is full and no lights are on it may be bottom connection that supplies the 12 volts dc, check it.

If the tank is full and the sensors have voltage and you still have missing light(s), the problem is most likely to be a broken wire from the tank sensors to the monitor panel. Last it may be the monitor panel or a connection on the monitor panel.

Hope this helps

Rich

05 Chev 2500HD DMAX
1999 Nomad 2655SE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TANK SENSORS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts