RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: gas or diesel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> gas or diesel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
EscapePod

Graham, Texas, usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/02 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a 30'Prowler 5th wheel with slideout. We are looking for a heavy 3/4 ton or 1 ton to pull it. Some say the gas is better not as expensive to have or to fix. The other says the diesel has much more pulling power and the engine last longer...
I've looked at the internet so much my eyes are crossed...Help.
I want a workhorse (which is stronger with apples to apples) that will double as a construction truck and if I have repairs won't put me in the poor house. Anyone use a flat bed truck for pulling their 5th wheels?
Thanks,
dghconst

bluenote

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/02 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have what sounds like exactly the same 5er as you. We pull it with a Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. I previously had a GMC with the 454 gasser, and comparing the towing capabilities of the two trucks isn't even a contest. The diesel outhauls the big block gasser, hands down. With that being said, GM's 8.1L big block seems to pull better than the 7.4L, and the Allison tranny has some great features. The 5er you have would not be too much for any of the diesels, or the big block gassers either. You may want to stay above the ¾ ton...a SRW 1 ton would handle it better (remember that GM's 2500HD is a 1 ton SRW, if you're considering that). Have fun shopping for that new truck!!

usafbuttcrack

Hamilton, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/02 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel is superior for towing... hands down. However, gas might be better if you use your truck extensively for other than towing.

In my case, I chose gas because I was in Montana where it gets sub-zero and stays there for awhile. I just didn't want to deal with gelled fuel and long warm-ups.

I know, I know, you can get block- and pre-heaters for diesels, but when its -40 out, your rig can cool down real quick if your not able to plug in.

There are endless arguments over which is more economical. I doubt the differences are really significant except for the superior mileage of diesels when towing.

Whatever you do, get the rig that best suits YOUR situation, YOUR expectations, and YOUR tastes.

People usually advise others to buy the same rig they own. There's something about spending $25,000+ that makes a person defend their rig as the best and hesitate to admit any performance short-comings.

Don't let others bias your decision since you are the one who is going to be driving the rig everyday.

Randy

Please don't feed the Trolls!

Jethroish

Marysville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/02 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

USAF makes good points.
You mention gas being cheaper on repairs. If you are looking to buy new, Dodge, GM, and Ford all have 100,000 mile warranties on the engines.
For pulling your trailer, I vote diesel. If this is also going to be an around town truck, that may sway me toward gas.
Question to ask yourself is what will you use it for most?

Don't let your work become your life.
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab, SLT, shortbed, 5.9L turbo diesel, 3:55 limited slip axle, Tekonsha Prodigy
2010 KeiferBuilt Evo 3 Horse with LQ

camper guy

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went through this and I wanted the truck mainly for towing and as a back up to our two commuter cars. I wanted diesel, but since I was buying used I stumbled upon a great deal with the big gasser and that is what I got. I get about 7-8 mpg towing the rig listed below. I got the same mileage towing a light weight TT with a 5.0L silverado.

2001 Sprinter 380BWS in a seasonal park.
Friend of Bills.....

jeraldd1

Locust Grove, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/02 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personnally prefer diesel, that being said any of the big engines will do the job. The other part of the question, yes there are a few of us towing with flat beds. The F450/550's come cab/chasis so most of them have some type of flat bed, mine is by Pro Formance. You can also get a 1 ton cab/chasis.

jeraldd1 01 Lakota 5er 32.6, 2 slides,02 F-550 PSD Pro Formance bed modified Lil Rocker Hitch Trailair pin box

Chickie

Slatington,Pa USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up my new F350 PSD 4x4 SC LB. I used to have a 1988 F25 SC with the 460 gas. My mileage was killing me all the time. Never more than 10 mpg. My new diesel is getting 17 mgp back and forth to work so far. I only towed locally with the diesel but what a difference. I only have the 3.73 rears in my diesel also. My trailer is the 28 foot Prowler with one slide. Oh yeah it is a fifth wheel. I went to the f350 for weight carrying ability. When I added up my pin weight and all the other things I carry Iwould have been very close to going over the GVW for a F250. So for a few more bucks I went to the 1 ton. But I really like the diesel over the gas so far.

kb9osl

Martinsville,in 46151

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EscapePod If your like me and the rest of us we all have had to make this choice.Well lots of things to think about.I didn't notice in your post,but an important thing to ponder on is the weight of the 5er.Any truck that you may get 3/4 or 1 ton should be able to pull, but think about stopping! When the wife and I was looking at 5ers I would always find the sticker for the weights,min.,max. if the 5er was over the max my truck weight I would go in to look, but thats all.
With all the things to think about,try to remember about the total weight you will be pulling,and stopping. One other thing look at the trucks specs,not what the salesman tells ya!
Good luck in what you choose and enjoy!!!!

*This Message was edited on 20-May-02 07:48 AM by kb9osl*

Michael, Dodge 3/4 long bed,v10 34rlds-5 Open Road waiting for fulltiming!

ButtesRanch

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/02 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are buying a new truck you can always spend the extra and get an extended warranty for the diesel truck. Really pays off if you need work done on them!!!! We did and we are glad we did. Owner of Ford diesel and Dodge cummins diesel trucks.

Lorry Ford
1997 F250 Ford CC diesel
2002 30' 5th wheel Trail Bay

*This Message was edited on 20-May-02 11:40 AM by LorryFord*

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/02 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to consider, if you do a lot of non- towing driving like going to work, you might like getting 17-19 mpg with a diesel rather than 9 or 11 for the comparable gas big block all day everyday. And of course when you hitch up and towing, you will once again appreciate getting 10-14 mpg instead of 6 to 8.

I hope I don’t offend the member who is getting 15.5 mpg pulling an 18,000 lb trailer through the mountains with my rough figures

2006 Duramax Diesel 1 ton dually tugging around a 2006 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #2609. Retired and just travelling around now and then seeing the sights.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> gas or diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS