|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire valve extenders

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Moab

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 03:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got new tires on my Southwind and I want to put extenders on the duals. I read that they are a major cause of leaks. I've heard that even the kind that isn't under pressure can leak. It's almost impossible to get to the valves without removing the wheel liners, (a major project in itself). I'd like to hear what experience others have had with these things.

Bill

Grouchman

Somewhere in the USA on the back roads

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried two or three kinds, never had any luck with them. I remove the wheel covers to check the tire pressure. I have decided to live with it.

I do know people who have no problems with them. The best suggestions I could give, get the good kind and make sure you install them correctly.

John

I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.

mlg 626

Il

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had wheel master on our last MH and no problem for 8 years and got them on this this MH with some damage to the side of one where it got a cut started, it rubbed on the SS insert, I rounded the edge of the insert and it is OK now.
If installed right, they save alot of time.

bigdaddy & littlemama

Carthage, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all the discussion on valve extenders, I removed mine. I now use a metal valve cap on all steams. I have the truck type air chuck to add air as needed and have the large truck type pressure guage. To check the inside duals, I remove the metal cap and use the valve extender that I removed. There is very little lose of air when I take it off. This way I do not have to remove the wheeel cover to check air pressure. By using metal valve caps, whach will give a good seal on the steam. One thing to renember is that a valve extender must not be used on a rubber steam.

bigdaddy & littlemama and "Miss Lucy & Chucky"
'02 Allegro Bay 35DB W22
"07 X Unlimited Wrangler
'05 Harley Trike
Our other coach is a school bus(yes, we both drive)

Alaskan

Nancy Lake, Alaska OR Mission, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't had trouble with valve extenders, you probably will. They DO cause a hi percentage of blowouts. Most tire valves are made of light, thin walled brass. Added to this, there is nothing that can stop the hose type valve extenders from whipping around which weakens and eventually bends the brass then again eventually snapping the valve off. Those with the steel valve stems seem to last a little longer. I have used, for many years now, a 10" solid extension and a screw driver type nut runner to remove the valve cap. Screw the extension on, check or add pressure, remove the extension and reinstall cap. With or without wheel covers. This proceddure probably takes me 10 to 15 seconds longer than using mo0nted extenders. Next time you are around Class 8's, count how many extenders you see, most likely not many. JMHO - Happy Motoring, Butch - Nancy Lake, Alaska

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/02 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main problem with the extenders is rubbing or chaffing through the line. Alcoa makes a rubber gromet type device that fits inside the wheel access hole, you may be able to fashion something like this. I purchased a used coach that had them and my first cousin who is a tire dealer (trucks) told me to take them off and throw them in the trash.

Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

lutz37

hernando, fl usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have had my 94 f350 dually since it was new, nov 93. the first thing i did was to put on steel valve stems and the extenders with the steel braiding for protection. these have been on my truck all these years with no problems. one word of caution though. a lot of the tire dealers hire idiots that like to tighten everything with high muscle power. i always watch and make sure they use plyers only and that they are just snug, not wrenched down tight. the extenders still cost about what i paid for them almost nine years ago, $55.oo. good luck it'll save you headaches.

Dollar98

Henderson, Nv

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whew, looks like I got lucky. I just had new tires put on.. I had some extenders and while they were putting the tires on I say hey how bout putting theses on for me..They put them on and I've had no problem. The tech told me that you really have to be exact when you put them on. I had no idea that they were a problem. See what you can learn on this forum..

Nova11

Blythe, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/02 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had them on our 77 Ga Boy, and I loved them since I was the one who check the tire pressure all the time. And on our 95 we have them on there also, and he put short ones on the front, it really helps, I'm glad my husband had them put on our 95. The way ours are put on we have not had any problems at all, and we had the 77 for 10 years no problems, that is why we have them on our 95.

*This Message was edited on 21-May-02 08:19 AM by Nova11*

camping time

lemjim

lawton, michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/02 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using tire extenders for years with no problems, (most likely will now), some people like to add a fear factor on a lot of things. If I could find a straight metal extender like the guy in above post that he removes after his check I would probaley go that route, and not use extenders and have one less thing to think about.

Jim Lemmers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire valve extenders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS