RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: What to buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to buy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
kakki

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/02 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, we've reached the age .... bye bye tent. Hello what? We're looking at Folding (Pop-up) Trailers. Any suggestions? Coleman? Starcraft? Just the two of us. . . early 40's, no kids. Live in Kansas and most likely, off to Colorado for our vacations.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/02 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try renting a motorhome and make sure a pop-up is what you really want. Beware: Once you've rented a motorhome you may never want to go back to a pop-up again!!

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

thumper

wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/02 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, now there's a jump - tent right to motorhome.

I started out much the way you are - but with a slide-in pop-up camper for my 1/2 ton pickup. I've known a few people with the pop-up trailers, but haven't really heard much about the brands. It seemed like someone was saying that the components on the Coleman/Fleetwoods were proprietary and hard to find, but there sure are a lot of them on the road. One thing I've found most of us concerned about is the construction of the roof. One-piece tends to hold up better.

There's probably a separate thread just for pop-ups, though. Afraid I'm not much help when it comes to brand comparisons. I still have my pop-up, sometimes the places I go are just too tight for a big fifth wheel trailer!

T

'01 Silverado K2500HD LWB SC 4x4 D/A
'02 Hitchiker II LS 28.5 RKBG
'90 Skamper 1005
Lil Rocker
Tekonsha Prodigy
Honda EU3000is

Don&Kristi

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/02 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned just about everthing, do yourself a favor and check out fifth wheels I have owned Class A's up until this year and went with a 5ver due to the room there is so much more room I only wish I found this out sooner, and its cheaper on insurance Just a thought Don

CajunOnTheMove

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/02 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a truck camper a few weeks back that had a pop-out bed area, much like most of the popups. Ive also seen the new lance models with slides but this one struck me that it cant be that much more expensive if at all, than a pop up. Kinda made a lot of sense considering that you would have the same room as a tow behind popup without having to tow anything. Of course if you dont already have a truck that may be a slight problem to this theory. But if you were going to buy a truck to pull the camper you may want to look at least. It is another option that honestly I was rather impressed with. Good luck with your search purchase and future camping. Glad to see you are making your way to our little piece of the internet.

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small travel trailer would be nice!

Peralko

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Msmith1199. If you ready to give up the tent, you may want to consider a motorhome. No setup when you get to the camp (other than utilities, which you have on all campers), access to potty, snacks, and cold drinks while underway, and a heated/air conditioned camper when you get to the campsite. For the money you'll spend on a high-line pop-up, you can get into a nice used motorhome, if you take your time looking.
We went from tenting to a motorhome--no big deal!

Peralko
USAF Retired
95 Country Coach Affinity
2006 Nissan Maxima

Charles Holley

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per, I agree, too.

We went from a tent to a TT - wish we had driven a MH first - but in any case, love RVing and will probably move to a 5er and MH in due time.

With that being said, it was just the other day that the bride ask if we could take the tent out to one of our favorite spots . . . I thought that WOULD be fun . . . so I guess we will.

Here's two 50somethings that may wake up with a couple of aches and pains but still love the tent, too.

Charles & Jackie Holley
Pressing toward the mark . . . RV there yet?
Traveling the road less traveled wondering, "Where the heck am I?"

Ging

Thorndale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the pop-up thing with much regret. There are lots of things that can fail such as cables, canvas rips etc. We now have a TT and are much happier. Mama has her own bathroom and that makes her happy! There is a lot of truth in the song "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy".

Ging

*This Message was edited on 05-Jun-02 12:42 PM by Ging*

Midnight

Lake Stevens, Wa USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/02 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Kakki, I have owned several pop-ups and found that the Jayco is a better built unit than the Coleman, they all have the same fabric these days, all claiming to be mildew and rot resistant.
I made the move to a 26' TT and hated the towing end of that, set up was easier but the hassel of lane changes and parking was to much stress for me.I also borrowed a very nice Motorhome and the gas bill killed me!...Now I own an 11.6' Northland Polar Camper that I haul on my 2000 Ford Powerstroke Diesel, that gives us everything that the trailer had and portability as well and I can still tow my boat or the utility trailer! I also have the ability to take the camper off of the truck when camped and then have the truck to get around while camping. I do not think that I will ever go back to towing a TT or pop-up again. Maybe when I retire I will change my mind and get a MH...we'll see
Good luck and happy trails!

2000 F-350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW with Hellwig 9703 Factory assist spring kit. 11'6" Northland 1160 Polar Camper, 48" Stinger in a Class V hitch to tow my 18' FourWinns Boat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS