RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Frequently Asked Questions - An Idea (Update: 5/25/04 - 100,000 views later)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Frequently Asked Questions - An Idea (Update: 5/25/04 - 100,000 views later)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/02 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edit Note: I've restored this thread to its original form. The Frequently Asked Questions may now be found Here

With new RVers coming onto the forum every day and while "getting their feet wet," some will ask innocently, a question that frequently comes up (Wal-Mart parking, holding tank dumping procedures, checklists, fridge on propane, backing up, etc.). Many times we'll answer their questions, but I've seen times where we see postings "Oh, Lord, here we go again!" which, to a newcomer, can be traumatic, especially if this is the first time they've posted.

Would it be reasonable or desired for a posting that provides the common questions and links to the threads in this forum which addresses them? If new information may be added, it can be added in any of the threads rather than starting a new one with the same information (conclusion?). The FAQ thread could be "refreshed" once a week or more frequently by posting a "refresh" reply.

It's not meant to stifle participation, but it could help reduce the non-helpful replies.

What does this esteemed group think about this idea?

*This Message was edited on 24-Jun-02 01:15 PM by LLeopold*

*This Message was edited on 24-Jun-02 01:21 PM by LLeopold*

* This post was edited 05/25/04 04:01pm by LLeopold *

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

campingchris

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's a great idea also. I myself am a newcomer and I see the same topics coming up again and again. It seems most people on the forum are very willing to help us newcomers but I understand how many times can you reply with the same respone. I haven't really found it necessary to ask to many questions (at least not yet),it seems that I have learned alot just reading through the forum.
Awaiting maiden voyage of the new TT this weekend......

Chris Bill
2kids & Oreo the dog
99 GMC
95 26'Starcraft Slide

nanhop

Central Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a good idea, I agree. As a part of the FAQ catagory, I'd like to see BB instructions such as: How to (1) run a search, (2)get the smiley faces to show up, (3) edit a message (4) not double post, etc. Nancy

Jeff & Nancy
2001, 27' Gulf Stream Kingsley
99 Dodge 1Ton Dually 3500
5.9 Cummins w/ Banks chip

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea. BUT! You really need someone to maintain the FAQ, not daily but once in a while. And some way to include various points of view on topics always in dispute like the great overloaded dispute.
=====
On second thought, how would new members become full members become senior members if we couldn't start off with the easy questions?

Seriously, though, you learn by teaching. When you reply you have to think out what you're going to say (usually, sometimes...). You get replies to your reply and can compare yours with later replies. A FAQ would reduce the exchange of information.

*This Message was edited on 05-Jun-02 07:37 PM by cmoehle*

CampfireSoapbox.com

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent idea. Almost every forum has a FAQ not to stifle discussion, but to help out newbies hesitant to post, and to give thorough answers to common questions without having to wade through a lot of fragmented search results.

To build a FAQ, someone with editorial skills would start out by listing common topics, searching old threads, and sumarizing common info.
Start with:

Walmart and other free camping
Black Streaks and how to clean them
Should I camp at Fort Willderness?
Tire Pressure
Weighing your RV
How to decide between a TT, Class A and Class C
Pre Tow/Travel Checklist
Valve Stem Extenders
Engine Oil
Extended Warranties
Roadside Assistance Plans
Deep Cycle Batteries and Battery Life
Gas Mileage

The list goes on but those seem to come up over and over.

Nothing wrong with talking about them some MORE, but nice to have a head start for someone wanting to learn more easily.

-Jim

Spirit Deer

Boundary Waters, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/02 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with FAQ's is people don't seem to look at them even if they're available. I've seen this on other forums. Some people search for thier topics, some are just lazy, some want to jump right in and start participating, some have no common sense or self-confidence, some love seeing their words in 'print', some don't have the patience to sit back, observe, and learn, there are myriad reasons why they post. But while I think an FAQ section is a good idea in theory, I doubt it would make much of an impact in the number of repetitious posts.

Just MO.

Spirit Deer
One husband
Two huskies
Three kitties
1983 Itasca Sunflyer moho (Arvie) (big toy)
2005 Chevy Astro
2005 Palomino Mustang (Sally) (slightly smaller toy)

adVentureMan

Memphis, TN, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/02 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got my vote. Why not volunteer to maintain it?

Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?

Tom B

Central Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/02 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LLeopold

A GREAT IDEA

A POSSIBLE WAY TO EASILY ACCOMPLISH IT

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO KEEP THIS THREAD NEAR THE TOP OF THE OPENING PAGE. YOURS AND THE FIRST FEW POSTS HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO STEER THE NEWBIES IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION.

EVERY TIME THE SUBJECT DROPS TO THE MID POINT ON THE FIRST PAGE SOMEONE COULD MAKE A SINGLE WORD REPLY TO THE THREAD AND THAT WOULD KEEP IT UP FRONT.

EVEN THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK COULDN'T MISS IT BECAUSE IN TIME IT WOULD HAVE THOUSANDS OF VIEWS AND REPLYS.

Bob Karr

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/02 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpiritDeer,

Your points are true, but with the FAQ's section, when these people do post, they can be referred to the FAQ's section, with the suggestion they return if they have further questions or want to discuss further.

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/02 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm perfectly willing to maintain the top of the FAQ message. I suspect (and hope) that as new information becomes available that others would include them in the replies and I'd merely cut and paste them into the top message.

Shall we give it a try? I'll start by modifying the topic and top message of this very thread to make it happen so folks will see the history behind it.

Thanks for the input and coming updates.

Let the FAQ fun begin!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Frequently Asked Questions - An Idea (Update: 5/25/04 - 100,000 views later)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS