|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Oil Changes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bwcox

Schererville, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/02 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does everyone go to get their Oil Changed?

I purchased a 35' GBM Persuit last year When I needed an oil change No one in my area Could help. Local Oil change outle said they could but could not get my unit in the bay. Flying J said they could but once I got ther they did not have the 5w20 oil that was required in my unit. Did the Oil change my self had to go to Ford to get the Oil.

I will not go to the Local Persuit Dealer because, I purchased my unit in Florida when I returned with some shake down problems he said that he could not get me in for 2 months. He had other peoble to take care that purchad Units from them. I traveled 90 miles to Elkhart to have service done. Leave the Unit for a week and pick it up the next weekend. Do not want to do this for oil changes.

Brian @ Lisa
FMCA F293548
2001 34' GBM Persuit

shooter

Goldsboro, NC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/02 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy oil and filter and take to Fly J or another dealer and pay for the labor to do the job. That's what I do on my V-10.

Shooter
2002 Gulfstream Conquest towing 2003 Saturn LW 200

w4phj

Vero Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes Walmart will do the oil and filter change. They also sell the Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic oil for $1.77 per quart. It seems that if the technician is willing to do the job, and the Walmart is not too busy, it gets done. The technician will need about 30 minutes to do the job because of climing around underneath the coach to get the 11 F53 grease fittings. I'm sure the technican would also be happy to be tipped $10.00 for his extra effort. You can also easily perform the work yourself. A oil pan quick drain available from Summit will speed up tha task as the oil can be drained into 2ea 1 gallon plastic milk bottles easily thru a hose and hot oil won't run into your armpits .

2002 30Q Hurrricane
Rental cars
No kids or pets

Dave T

Grand Rapids,MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed the oil & greased my 2001 Adventurer with the Ford V10. I used (as the manual) suggested 5-30 Motorcraft oil . I bought the oil & filter from Walmart.
The only problem is draining the oil! The Engineers really had to work on this one! The front axle is right below the drain plug & oil filter!! A couple of inches either way & there would be no problem.
I changed the oil in my driveway. It was not a clean & neat job!

Don Barton

Henderson, Nevada, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not difficult to perform this kind of servive yourself, although it can be a clallenge for the first timer. Walmart will dispose of the used oil legally.

You may want to call the mfg and see what they can do for you about the dealer attitude. This may become an issue when you need warranty work.

Don and Evelyn Barton
1996 Seabreeze 460 Phord, Banks Power Pack and Trans Command
2001 Neon R/T Toad
84 Custom S10 Blazer toad
1983 Honda XR200R
Ethyl (kat)
Freckles (Cocker pup)
Henderson, Nevada

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave T,

I change my own oil on our V-10 and I found a solution to eliminate the messy operation. I bought one of those rectangular combination oil drain pan/containers. I use the levelers to raise the front just to where there's enogh space between the engine oil pan and axle to sit the drain pan on the axle and drag link, no problem whatsoever. Be sure and use jack stands for safety.

Good luck, C. Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

BurmaShave

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perko truck stops will do the whole thing for about $ 120, slightly more for Mobil-1 5W20
No appointment needed, just make sure its a Lube center.

Kevin 2

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll quit my job and do those all day long for 120 bucks!

glbekaert@msn.com

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try ford dealers,also Jiffy lubes and Good Year truck service dealers..I pay 43.00 at Ford Garage.

George bekaert

Porchdog

Clermont,FL,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/02 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fram makes a plug called Sure Drain that I got at Wally World. Screws into the drain plug hole in my V-10 and has a hose that attaches to it when you want to drain out the old oil. Put the hose into a pail and you are done in no time. When you are ready to refill, disconnect the hose and the device reseals itself. The axle is no problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Oil Changes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS