|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Weighing in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Jayco's 4 us

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey..do any of you ever put your rig on a scale to really see what it weighs in at? ...Being new to this I thought I might try this just for for my own info. ?? tks in advance..

mscamping

any place, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/02 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Bob I do this at the local feed mill. I first load the truck up and weigh it, then I get the trailer on and pull on the scales with just the truck, then I pull the rest of the way on to weigh the whole rig and do some subtraction to get all the numbers. This way I get truck weight, hitch/pin weight, trailer weight, and total rig weight. You can do it all at once at a cat scales in a truck stop. Costs me $2.00 a weigh at the mill. I keep the weigh slips with me in the truck.

*This Message was edited on 10-Jun-02 10:42 PM by mscamping*

2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

davea

Sulphur Springs, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/02 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tex, check me out here will ya??? my truck laoded with fuel and wife and self weighs 3280# FA,,,,4280# RA, total 7560#...this is a 1 ton dodge cummins...the door plate rates it for 4500# FA,,,,,,7500# RA for a total rating of 10500#...Now, we add the trailer loaded for the road....empty holding tanks, about 10-12 gals water, food, clothes etc....FA 4060#, this is under rate......RA 6180#, still under rated capacity...equals pin weight of 2900# i think...trailer both axles weighed 10000#...this gives me 20240# GCWR... so my trailer weighs about 12900# alone and loaded, the way i figure it..the dodge is rated for 20000# GCWR...so actualy i am over by 240# BUT my truck is not even at it's rated capacity.. so what i wonder about is the GCWR and where the heck the mfgs. get that figure...i pull my 1990 Prairie Schooner 36RK at the speed limit and it stops very well both in a hurry and in the small mountains of Missouri and Arkansas....So do you think i am OK?? my trailer axles are 7K axles and the trailer pulls great...we are attempting to buy a new one and i only hope it handles as well as this one....i may have to go up in GCVW to get the new one i want but it seems they have a somewhat lighter pin weight..at least the brochures all say that...lol so much for their propaganda.....good luck to all travelers this summer..

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/02 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do my weighing at a local gravel quarry. They are kind as it is free. *S*

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/02 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was really curious about my weights so weighed my rig a couple times already, new empty then loaded weights. I think the best scales are the CAT scales found at most truck stops. The scales are in sections, which will give you different weights. If you follow the procedure below you will get two sheets showing five weights;

Sheet 1:
  • Total weight – This is the total weight of the fueled loaded truck including the trailer pin weight, the most accurate way to check your true GVWR.

Sheet 2:
  • front truck “steering” axle – Just like it sounds, the weight on the front truck axle.
  • rear truck “drive” axle - Just like it sounds, the weight on the rear truck axle.
  • trailer axles – This is how much weight is on the trailer axles.
  • total weight – This is your gross combined weight, “The whole thing”.

Here is how I do it…. Fuel up then drive onto the scale stopping just before the trailer wheels get on the scale. Push the attendant button and tell them this is a “two part weigh” and to go ahead with part one. Then pull forward until the truck is on the first two scale sections and the trailer is on the third and tell the attendant to go ahead with part two. The reason for this is that they charge $7.50 for the initial weigh and only $1 for the second weigh. If you don't tell them upfront that it's a two part weigh you will be charged $7.50 twice.

If you really want to know what your true pin weight is, weigh your fueled truck by itself when you aren’t lugging the trailer around then subtract that figure from the figure on sheet one above.

There….. have I totally confused ya?

2006 Duramax Diesel 1 ton dually tugging around a 2006 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #2609. Retired and just travelling around now and then seeing the sights.

FloridaNomads

Old Town, Florida USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/02 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did my rig weighing at a truck stop using CAT scales (brand name) cost me 8.00 dollars..took about five minutes or so..got truck weight...Trailer weight and tongue weight...and gross weight of truck and Trailer.... they have different sections to the scale and you place you vehicles on sections to get various weights....good luck

Ray K4DAB and Judy KB5GXI Wallace
29.68555N 083.03008W
2002 Dura/Max/allison super crew 4x4.
Reese 16k Kwik slide
Montana 2001 2955RLS two slides.

GWMAYES

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/02 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely, positively, yes. You should know your weights.

Weights of 2001 Silverado 2500HD, 4X4, 6.0L Vortec, 4.1 Axles and Sunnybrook FW 27RKFS

Siverado, Empty with FW hitch and a full tank of gas:

Front 3320 GAWR 4670
Rear 2760 GAWR 6084

Total 6080 GVWR 9200

Siverado (as above) with Sunnybrook with full LP, batteries (2), and 42 Gal fresh water.

Front 3320
Rear 4360 Pin weight 1600

Trailer Axles 6160

Total GCW 13,840

Sunnybrook 27RKFS with full LP, batteries (2), and fresh water.

Pin 1600
Axles 6160
Total 7760

After loading some more "stuff" in plus groceries the FW is almost exactly 8,000#

George in Albuquerque
2003 Silverado 2500HD ExtCab, ShortBed 4X4, Duramax/Allison, Jordan 2020 Brake Controller, Transfer Flow 45 Gal, Reese 16k Slider (converted to non-slider), Honda EU3000
2001 Sunnybrook 27RKFS

davea

Sulphur Springs, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/02 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah, it is a dually...seems the brochures DO increase the posted limits each year as they come out..a chev 3500 diesel isnt built any heavier than a ford 350 or the dodge 3500 but is rated much more in the trailering capacity...so it MUST have at least a little something to do with the power and drive train....duh....lol...darn i wish i had finished college and could wear a pocket protector and have a palm pilot to figure these things out...lol....no offense intended to anyone.....

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/02 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave,
Since I don’t know squat about the Dodge models I am assuming your one-ton is a dually based on your Rear axle weights. You are just the opposite of me. I am right at my truck GVRW but have thousands to spare on the GCVW. I guess what I don’t understand about the numbers is why they would set the Total at only 20,000 lbs for your truck while all the other limits would suggest a much larger trailer. Would you get me to say publicly that you’re “OK”… Nope! Would I feel safe following you up a hill or being in front of you coming down a hill… Probably!

As I have stated before, don’t sweat a few hundred pounds, the next brochure will be out soon and they are sure to change the numbers around again. Me, I’m going camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Weighing in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS