RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Checking & Inflating Tires!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Checking & Inflating Tires!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Brent Hunt

San Diego, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have duals on the back. I can't reach either outer or inner tire to check the tire pressure or to increase the pressure if it is necessary.

I bought an extra long gauge with the dual angle tip for checking the tire pressure but it doesn't work.

I'm a newbie to duals. How do the rest of you great RVers handle this problem?

Heeelllppp!!!!

Thanks so much,

Brent

eyebowl@softhome.net

fredbon

Pacific Northwest or SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brent, most RVers have added flexible valve extenders to the inner dual. Camping World carries several different types, and I am sure others will answer your message with all types of personal choices. My extenders are covered with wire braid and I added plastic tubing over the braid to protect the extenders where they pass through the wheel simulators. I added short angled extensions to the outer dual and front wheels to make things easy. Meyers tire supply makes a nice extension hose/pressure gauge combination for easy servicing. The Remove Inflation Gauge http://www3.myerstiresupply.com/myers/display_coupon?pass_cou_id=230&cart_id=jipy1230
allows you to service the duals without placing yourself in a dangerous position should the tire explode. (Split rim wheels have been known to fail and explode.)

Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

bjm

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brent,

I had this same frustration about checking and airing up my duals. Since my truck is still under warranty, I took it back to Dodge and had a chat with them. I told them it was ridiculous to sell me a truck where I had to take the hubcaps and the tires off to check pressure. The tried to dismiss me until I told them to give it a try. They tried and then installed valve extenders at no charge.

I had heard some stories about valve extenders causing problems, so I figured I'd let Dodge install and keep things under warranty.

Now if I could only find that perfect gauge.....

bj

2001 Dodge Ram Laramie SLT, 3500, Turbo Diesel, 24V, 5.9, 4:10, Auto, DRW, 2WD, Quad Cab, LB, Metalic Silver, Optioned Out. Towing a 2004 Montana 2980RL 5th wheel, Lil' Rocker 15K Hitch, Prodigy, Autometer Pillar mount, Pyro, Boost, and Trans Temp

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my Ford duallies it is a pain in the you-know-what. I can get in there with a dual angle tip guage, but inflating! Have to squeeze my big hand through the wheel, and then get it out.

Wish I woulda done what bjm did. Come time to buy new tires I'll get it done right.

There can be problems adding extenders. I believe the valve stem should be metal rather than rubber, or the extender bracketed, otherwise you might get leaks. Here's a good long valve extender discussion.

One thing that helped me was buying an air compressor. Fairly easy to get it to the inside tires and it clamps onto the valve and has a built in guage. Bought mine at WalMart. But here's a discussion with links to others.

*This Message was edited on 14-Jun-02 05:43 AM by cmoehle*

CampfireSoapbox.com

donscomp

Camarillo,CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an extender that was on from the factory pull off and yanked the valestem out and we lost the tire on the way to Vegas.

As cmoehle said. The steams should be metal.

I took them off and use a dual angled filler which has a metal shaft so it is stable when pushing through to the inside dual. Kind of a pain and I couldnt use it with our DC compressor.

But for now it works.

Don & Debbie

**2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH**
** Wish we were Fulltime **
** Friends Of Bill W. **

**GIT-R-DONE!!**

mitch

Edmond, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/02 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't check tires every day - usually only before a long trip, or if the RV has been sitting for a couple of weeks. My system is this:

We bought the rig (used. One of the first things we did was to put 6 new tires on it from a truck service center near us. They said they would be happy to check the pressure any time we wanted. And that's what we do - drive it to their center and have them check and inflate. It does get around the extender problem. Someday, I'm sure i will have to come up with a better system.

Mitch, Amanda, and the cats.
29' Class C, Winnebago Chalet

"Inside every older person is a young person wondering what the hell happened."

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rears I check when rotate the tires,would like to check sooner but have to add the extenders to the list of other things I need!

05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

The Milkman

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Mitch,I just want to pass along to you,checking tire pressure should be done with the tires cold.If you drive more than 1/2 mile to the service center you are going to get a tire reading that is not accurate.always check pressure and air up when tires are cold

*This Message was edited on 14-Jun-02 01:30 PM by The Milkman*

dcgrazier

Millheim, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brent,
I had the same problem as you. I found a new gauge that has a straight end port on the tip and an angled port on the side as well. It cost about $20.00. You should be able to find them at most truck stops. I have seen them at several locations now. They also have air inflation heads configured exactly as this gauge. The gauge and air inflation heads work on my motorhome. My wheels are 22.5 inches with standard inward/outward valve stems. Hope this helps.

Dave G.
2000 CC Allure
Mechanicsburg, PA

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/02 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was new here I read about valve extenders. Had my dealer put them on. Read the package. They clearly say not to use them with rubber & brass valve stems - the kind rims come with from the factory in most cases.

$100 wasted (extenders plus labor to install) later I just removed them myself before my trip. Don't want a blow out like Don had on his new rig. And when the valve stem goes you loose the air fast.

And when the dealer installed them he got one a little loose. They can leak slowly if not tight.
I am going to find another answer. I *may* use them again with steel valve stems and some lock tite.

Meanwhile I can measure the pressure fine but I need to find one of those chucks to use to fill the tires and some kind of adapter to make it work with a portable compressor.

-Jim

*This Message was edited on 15-Jun-02 07:39 AM by HiTech*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Checking & Inflating Tires!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: