RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A big THANKS and what else do I need?

RV Blog

RV Sales

RV Parks

RV Club

RV Buyers Guide

Roadside Assistance

Extended Service Plan

RV Travel Assistance

RV Credit Card

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A big THANKS and what else do I need?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:

Hollywood, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/02 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all you guys who were so nice and helped us over the past weeks! I wouldn't know what we would have done without your advice.

We finally bought a Keystone Outback 25RS-S today, thanks to the advice we got here. For those of you that aren't familiar (or sick of) our story, here is the 1 line synopsis: My wife, cat and I are going full-timing next week for a couple of years, are generally fairly smart people, but completely clueless about trailers, since we have never even been in one before [emoticon]

Now for my (hopefully) final questions for a while: We got the truck, we're getting the trailer this weekend.

Now what else do we need?

I should mention that we already spent well over $40k on the vehicles so far and lord knows we're not rich... [emoticon] So we're talking cheap.

I am mostly concerned with the hitch stuff. The truck we have (2002 Dodge RAM 1500) comes with the factory towing package. I believe I need to buy some weight-distributing hitch, right? Like an Equ-a-lizer or something like that? Is that around $500.- ? I know there are much cooler thingies out there around $2 - 3K but unless I start dealing crack, that ain't gonna happen [emoticon]

Secondly, do I need a brake controller, or does that come with the towing package? If it does, I sure couldn't find it on Dodge's site. How much would that be?

I believe the sewer hose comes with the trailer and I understand that we have to buy the fresh water hose and pressure regulator ourselves.

And finally, what else? Boy I know that these are lot of question, and by now, the post is so long that nobody will read it anyway, but who knows.

I thank everybody in advance and promise to answer lots of newbie questions one I am a "seasoned pro" [emoticon]

Boris & Kirstin

- 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 RC/LB 4.7L V8 3.9 ratio w/ tow package
- 2002 Keystone Outback 25RS-S TT

South Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a list called "Outfitting Your RV: Essential Items" at http://www.rvnetlinx.com/htlist01.php3

Good luck with the new gear.

1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L with RS9000X Ranchos and Prodigy
1998 Sunnybrook 24FB with Hensley Arrow
homepage: Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering

"Please RV Safely and Courteously"

Hazel ParkMi. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will need an equalizer hitch and sway control, and a brake controller 50-150 dollars,your dealer can install this. The sewer hose doesn't always come with the unit,if it does its very short and cheap. Ask your dealer to throw in a starter kit most do. It will have a sewer hose, fresh water hose,chemicals and t.p.
You will probably upgrade your sewer hose later with all the different connectors to fit different situations. Hope this helps a little.

2004 Cardinal 33TS LX Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
U.S Air Force (retired)
Rally Attendance "3"

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will find a LOT of options you want/need as you go along but I would consider the above things essential along with a proper size electric extension cord, at least a couple of adaptors (pigtails)to go between the service box & trailer (your dealer can advise you on AMPS, etc, chocks and some kind of levellers -we have the Lynx levellers but wood will do just as well, particularly until you get established a bit more - if TV is important to you, get a coax cable along with male & female ends for it, a set of tools - minor repairs, adjustments, etc., are needed in a trailer just like a house - and a flashlight. A doormat helps keep trash out of the trailer. There are a million & one things that you will want/need and you will be adding things for a while - and also subtracting as you find you really don't need/use/want some of the things you first thought you did. Have a nice life!!

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tow package should be wired to make the brake controller an easy installation, but it does not include it. The hitch, well in my opinion is a must, I have the Equal-i-zer and am very happy with it and the setup was not that hard.

Good Luck

2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you get the basics, like the weight distribution hitch and brake controller, take a walk through a Camping World. Just make sure you leave your credit cards in the truck.... LOL So many little gadgets to buy!

Mossyrock, WA--Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband won't go anywhere without a couple of pieces of 4 foot plastic gutter to put the "slinky" in to keep it all going in the proper direction at the proper angle!

Have fun with your new toys!

*This Message was edited on 27-Jun-02 05:06 PM by MommaJo*

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A big THANKS and what else do I need?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2015 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS