RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A big THANKS and what else do I need?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A big THANKS and what else do I need?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
artcore

Hollywood, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/02 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to all you guys who were so nice and helped us over the past weeks! I wouldn't know what we would have done without your advice.

We finally bought a Keystone Outback 25RS-S today, thanks to the advice we got here. For those of you that aren't familiar (or sick of) our story, here is the 1 line synopsis: My wife, cat and I are going full-timing next week for a couple of years, are generally fairly smart people, but completely clueless about trailers, since we have never even been in one before

Now for my (hopefully) final questions for a while: We got the truck, we're getting the trailer this weekend.

Now what else do we need?

I should mention that we already spent well over $40k on the vehicles so far and lord knows we're not rich... So we're talking cheap.

I am mostly concerned with the hitch stuff. The truck we have (2002 Dodge RAM 1500) comes with the factory towing package. I believe I need to buy some weight-distributing hitch, right? Like an Equ-a-lizer or something like that? Is that around $500.- ? I know there are much cooler thingies out there around $2 - 3K but unless I start dealing crack, that ain't gonna happen

Secondly, do I need a brake controller, or does that come with the towing package? If it does, I sure couldn't find it on Dodge's site. How much would that be?

I believe the sewer hose comes with the trailer and I understand that we have to buy the fresh water hose and pressure regulator ourselves.

And finally, what else? Boy I know that these are lot of question, and by now, the post is so long that nobody will read it anyway, but who knows.

I thank everybody in advance and promise to answer lots of newbie questions one I am a "seasoned pro"

Boris & Kirstin

- 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 RC/LB 4.7L V8 3.9 ratio w/ tow package
- 2002 Keystone Outback 25RS-S TT

bluesky

South Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a list called "Outfitting Your RV: Essential Items" at http://www.rvnetlinx.com/htlist01.php3

Good luck with the new gear.

Dino

1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L with RS9000X Ranchos and Prodigy
1998 Sunnybrook 24FB with Hensley Arrow
homepage: Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering

"Please RV Safely and Courteously"

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will find a LOT of options you want/need as you go along but I would consider the above things essential along with a proper size electric extension cord, at least a couple of adaptors (pigtails)to go between the service box & trailer (your dealer can advise you on AMPS, etc, chocks and some kind of levellers -we have the Lynx levellers but wood will do just as well, particularly until you get established a bit more - if TV is important to you, get a coax cable along with male & female ends for it, a set of tools - minor repairs, adjustments, etc., are needed in a trailer just like a house - and a flashlight. A doormat helps keep trash out of the trailer. There are a million & one things that you will want/need and you will be adding things for a while - and also subtracting as you find you really don't need/use/want some of the things you first thought you did. Have a nice life!!

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

tech47

Grosse Pointe Woods Mi. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will need an equalizer hitch and sway control, and a brake controller 50-150 dollars,your dealer can install this. The sewer hose doesn't always come with the unit,if it does its very short and cheap. Ask your dealer to throw in a starter kit most do. It will have a sewer hose, fresh water hose,chemicals and t.p.
You will probably upgrade your sewer hose later with all the different connectors to fit different situations. Hope this helps a little.

ROBERT & VIRGINIA HAMILTON
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually H.O. Cummins Quad Cab,Auto,4WD,3.73 Posi.
2004 Cardinal 33TS LX Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
U.S. AIR FORCE(Retired)
Rally Attendance "3"

Our Homepage

Frankjake

Ventura

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you get the basics, like the weight distribution hitch and brake controller, take a walk through a Camping World. Just make sure you leave your credit cards in the truck.... LOL So many little gadgets to buy!

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tow package should be wired to make the brake controller an easy installation, but it does not include it. The hitch, well in my opinion is a must, I have the Equal-i-zer and am very happy with it and the setup was not that hard.

Good Luck

Bill
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

MommaJo

Mossyrock, WA--Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/02 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband won't go anywhere without a couple of pieces of 4 foot plastic gutter to put the "slinky" in to keep it all going in the proper direction at the proper angle!

Have fun with your new toys!

*This Message was edited on 27-Jun-02 05:06 PM by MommaJo*

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A big THANKS and what else do I need?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS