|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Antifreeze taste

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nanhop

Central Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/02 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are still getting a slight antifreeze taste in our drinking water from last winter's winterizing. We have flushed the lines several times and have a filter on the drinking water faucet. Any suggestions on getting rid of it?
If we don't get it cleared up soon, it will be time to winterize again. Nancy

Jeff & Nancy
2001, 27' Gulf Stream Kingsley
99 Dodge 1Ton Dually 3500
5.9 Cummins w/ Banks chip

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!

rayhtx

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nanhop
Any chance you had the filter on when you winterized? You will never get the taste out if you did. Will have to replace the filters.
Otherwise would go with a stronger solution of bleach and let stand for 3 to 4 hours and then flush really well.
Good Luck

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By any chance did you install the antifreeze by pouring it into the fresh water tank and pumping it around? If so, it is very hard to flush out. Baking soda flushes will help. If you did happen to put it in the FW tank, don't do it this fall. Get a kit that sucks the AF from the bottle.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you did not use Automotive type Anti=Freeze. If you did you will have to replace all plumbing.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

travelgirl

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/02 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PULLTOY, What did you mean by the statement, "If you did happen to put it in the FW tank, don't do it this fall. Get a kit that sucks the AF from the bottle.

The Antifreeze is suppose to go into the fresh water tank, then be pumped through the plumbing system and out each faucet, until the fluid shows "pink" antifreeze in it. This is what I have been told to do and have been doing.

You mean I wasn't suppose to do that? I'm confused! Did I misunderstand what you were explaining about "winterizing the plumbing"? Help my confusion please. travelgirl

darbyjudy

New Port Richey

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will second the post of never putting automotive antifreeze in your drinking water pipes, unless you want to retire soon. that stuff will kill you, causes liver damage.

nanhop

Central Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/02 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, we had the Rv in for some minor worranty work and just told them to go ahead and winterize it while it was there. So I would assume they didn't use automotive antifreeze. The filter was off when we got it back. I suppose there is the possibility that they forgot and left it on, but removed it prior to our picking it up. And as far as whether or not they put the antifreeze in the FW tank, we really have no way of knowing. Thanks for all your help. We'll try the baking soda and also replace the filter. Nancy

*This Message was edited on 10-Jul-02 08:14 PM by nanhop*

Jim P

Sun City West, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/02 01:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelgirl - There is a kit that you can buy @ http://www.mobile-mart.com/pumpcnvrtrkit.htm that allows you to pump direct from a bottle of rv antifreeze. I bought one and other than the fact that the hose that comes with the kit was hard to straighten out and keep straight, worked well. The valve shuts off the fresh water tank input to the pump and diverts the pump input to the rv antifreeze bottle. Its a permanent installation so will be ready each time you winterize. I installed mine in the water line right after the fresh water tank drain.

Jim P

awpierce

little rock, ar

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/02 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be a chance the dealer did not bypass the waterheater very well. Be sure you are flushing the W/H as well. You would think a dealer would pull from the AF jug and not put it in the water tank. I wonder how much AF would be used doing it that way?

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/02 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelgirl: The last part of your method is correct... you let the stuff run until pink comes out of the faucets. However, pouring it into the FW tank is incorrect. Here's why: No FW tank is completely flat on the bottom. There are minor depressions where water pools. So even if you were perfectly level when you drained, there is still water in the FW tank. So, when you pour in the AF, you are really ending up with diluted AF. How much diluted depends on how much water was left behind. If the rig wasn't exactly at the level needed to do an optimum drain, it could be several gallons of water diluting the AF. Secondly, it is the rare water pump that sucks all the way from the bottom of the tank. You have to add a lot of AF to the tank to reach the bottom of the suction tube. That's a waste. There is no need to put AF in the tank as there is nothing to freeze damage if it is drained. The puddles may freeze but they won't burst anything.

Lastly, it is very hard to flush the AF residue out of the FW tank.

As noted by another poster, there are kits available (a lot of newer RVs come with them, mine did) that allow you to divert the suction side of the water pump to a hose. That hose is placed directly into an AF bottle and the pump just sucks it up and distributes it throughout the system. The cost is minimal. It is only a bypass valve and a piece of hose. Saves on AF, gives pure AF to the system and is cheap. Can be a pain to install in some TTs, but a snap in others. Any RV store should have one. Good luck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Antifreeze taste
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS