|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> hello all I am new hera and have a question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cwhense

Marion Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought an 78 19' Aljo, and now getting my truck fitted with an hitch, I am going with a reese class 3 hitch with weight dist. MY question is that the place putting on the hitch only offers the fiction type sway control, I gather from reading this forum that the dual cam is an better way to go. My question is can I put an dual cam sway control on with the reese weight dist bars?

My tow truck is a 2001 S10 crew cab with a 4.3 V6, the manual and talking to the hitch people I should not have any problems towing this trailer which has a wet wieght of about 4500lbs, I know that the truck towing cap is about 5200 to 5500lbs. I also know it will be tough on the truck but I plan on taking it easy when towing the trailer, no going 75 down the highway with it:-)

my only question is about the sawy control atm, and once I get teh hitch and pull it home I most likley will have other questions

thanks for any help you can give me:-)

Charles an newbie to pulling an Travel trailer
but have pulled trailers before :-)

cwhense

Marion Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darn wont let me edit my message I have an drawtite hitch being installed on my truck not a reese, I dont why I said an reese

Vern M.

Marion Co., Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 19 foot trailer, the friction bar type anti-sway device should work just fine.

Vern M.
The Little House on the Highway (tm)

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cwhense: Hiya...

I really think, that with that size of a pickup and that weight of a trailer and length, you will find the friction sway lacking in control. Give it a try, but imo, you will find you will want additional sway control and you can easily uypdate your wd system to the dualcam. Give it a try and see what you think. Just go slow/easy as you are maxing your tow vehicle.

Happy and safe rv'in.

NY CAMPER

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can check with Reese but I believe the dual cam is recommended for trailers with a relatively heavy tongue weight and I imagine your unit will not have a tongue weight more than 300-325lbs

Joe
Carriage 31KS3 Cameo LXI.
2003 Ford F-350 Crew Cab, 6.0 diesel, short bed, 4x4 Prodigy

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/02 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hiya again...

If your TT has a net weight of about 4500 lbs and you put the recommended minimum of 10% of that weight on your hitch, 450 lbs, then you will be over the max recommended hitch weight for the friction bar. The tech rep at Reese recommends the friction bar for 400 lbs and less.

Happy rv'in.

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/02 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kus is right on this one, MINIMUM hitch weight should be 10%, ideally up around 12%, which on a 4500 lb trailer should be 540 lbs +/-.

I would start with the friction sway and see how it does. FYI, Reese and Draw-Tite are now the same company, and they offer dual-cam set-ups for both hitch brands.

You can buy the dual-cam stirrup linkages that fit on the trailer for about $150 on various websites. They will work with all of your existing hardware.

If you don't want to try the friction sway, then don't buy it from the hitch dealer. Just get the WD hitch, and install the dual=cam yourself, folks say it's very easy. Kus, didn't you install your own?

Don

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> hello all I am new hera and have a question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts