|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wheelbase

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
LTCMIKE

Columbia, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/02 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at upgrading from a pop-up camper to a full-size trailer. My tow vehicle is a 2002 Excursion with the Powerstroke Diesel. With a WD hitch it will tow 11000 lbs, which is enough for any trailer I realistically want to buy. What concerns me is wheelbase. Using the "rule of thumb" of 20 feet for 110 inches of wheelbase and an additional foot for every 4 additional inches, it appears I con tow about a 26-27 foot trailer. How hard and fast is this? If I add a sway control will this compensate for lack of wheelbase? The trailer I want is a little over 30 feet. I can pull the weight easily, but what kind of stability problems can I expect?

mike & laura

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/02 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, I would not be hessitate to tow aup to about 32' with the setup you have. Just as long as it has a really good hitch, sway control, and brake control.

I don`t think that rule of thumb is set in concrete. just a guide line to help out. and whit a super duty 3/4 ton diesel monster like you have ( it really is to bad they may be doing away with then soon) they have to just throw that rule aside. I have half the truck you have, and pull a 7500gvwr TT that is 29'. And it handles great.

Mike
http://community.webshots.com/user/hdmax

2002 Chevy LS 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison 5 speed automatic transmission, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 153" wheel base, Forest green

03 Cherokee 29S,Reese dual cam sway controler, Prodigy brake controler, reese 1200/12,000# WD hitch/receiver ( Class V hitch )

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/02 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow an old heavy 27'TT with a trailer on the rear (yeah I triple tow) and I have no issues with it. I have an Equal-i-er off my X and will add a sway bar this winter for the second trailer (though it has yet to move much). My opinion is that the X will do well (in fact in 2 years I will upgrade trailers to a longer one for my vaction rv - as opposed to my playtime one now )

Bill
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/02 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow an old heavy 27'TT with a trailer on the rear (yeah I triple tow) and I have no issues with it. I have an Equal-i-er off my X and will add a sway bar this winter for the second trailer (though it has yet to move much). My opinion is that the X will do well (in fact in 2 years I will upgrade trailers to a longer one for my vaction rv - as opposed to my playtime one now )

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Wheelbase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS