|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Winter storage question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hpydad

New Concord, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/02 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I just purchased a new Trail-Lite C-19. I really hate to see ice and snow laying on it so I really should build some sort of roof over it, already built my daughter a horse barn this spring so we're kinda wiped when it comes to this kinda expense, I may wait a year. Do R.V's handle the winter elements pretty well? How do ya'll winter yours?
Thanks for ANY advice, we live in Southeast Ohio.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/02 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure that RVs, in general, are not made to take the kind of snow load that a regular roof is. If you let the snow and ice pile up on it you just may find the roof laying on the floor one day. You may want to push the snow off the roof after each snowfall. Better yet, take the scraps from making the horse barn and make a temporary roof that will shed the snow.

I live in a area that gets very little snow (Seattle), so I plan on just pushing the snow off. Mine is also the cover of very mature evergreen trees, though, so it won't get much snow at all.

*This Message was edited on 07-Aug-02 03:25 PM by Westronics*

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/02 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 3' of snow a few times on my TT. Even pulled it down from the cascades with it on it, lost about a foot or so on the way home!
They will take some snow load, just how much remains to be seen. The most I know of wt wise on my rig was just over 3000 lbs, about 10K total on 7000 lbs of axles. Just a little over the gvwr of TT! Truck came in close to 12,000lbs coming home that weekend.
I would not worry too much unless it's a real wet and heavy snow, that could concevably collaspe the trailer. A foot or so of reasonably dry snow shoud not be a problem.
Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/02 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy, hpydad:
Last year we bought a used Motorhome & for the 1st time spent the winter in Arizona. Didn't have to worry about snow down there. In fact it eventually got up to 117 degrees. I would have liked a little snow about that time. HA!!

Here at home it snows. We have a lot of trees that help shelter the RV. Another idea i've thought about but haven't done yet, is an RV Carport Kit. There are companies that sell them & they aren't too awful expensive. Something like that might work for you.
What do you think? Jack......

1989 Pace Arrow 37', Ford 460

Take Care.........Drive Safely...........Grizz Jack..........Happy fishin'.....

"Have You Kissed a Bass, Today?"........

JDS549

SPEARMAN, TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/02 03:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look for local rv storage. 3 friends rented a
hanger at the local airport and split costs.
enjoy

JERRY FROM TEXAS
I "NEED" A FREIGHTLINER
1999 F250, DIESEL,AUTO, 3.73, 265'S
2000 27 CARDINAL
BIG DOG AND (MEAN LITTLE DOG)
(ALL OUTGOING VIRUS CHECKED)

hpydad

New Concord, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/02 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess my main concern when building any structure in our area is wind. We live up high with not much to break the wind and it gets very windy in the winter. I used to keep our old RV tied down to the ground using those screw in anchors and will probably do the same to this one. I was going to put a car port onto the garage until I measured the height of this new one today 10'+ A.C. Tarps are out because the wind rips em to shreds.
I recon I'll build a free standing structure with three poles per long side with a steel roof, anchored in concrete.
I have a cousin who lives in Arizona and just loves the weather, she says it's hard to play Crokett though...hehehe
PS, I try to avoid parking under trees up here

Roegs

MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/02 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my trailer the same way the dealers do...outside.

Unless you have some sort of structural problem, you'll be just fine.

2003GMC 2500HD D/A
2001 Sunnybrook 29dbs
Hensley Arrow

Jim M.

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/02 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not worry about leaving it out in ice and snow. These trailers are made to weather the elements. My TT has weathered two winters with some snow and ice, and it shows no signs of weathering. Just have to wash it in the spring to get accumulated dirt off.

Regards,
Jim M.

2000 Jayco Eagle 314BHS TT
1999 Chevy K3500, 4X4, Crew-cab, Dually, 7.4L (454 cu.in.)
Yamaha EF2800i Generator
WAR EAGLE!!

AirForceRet

Mishawaka, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/02 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Starcraft Travel Trailer sits out year-round in Northern Indiana. We bought a good cover to use in the winter time. Two winters ago we had over 4 feet of snow in December alone and didn't encounter any problems from the weight. Depending on build quality, the roof is designed to withstand a great deal of weight (as evidenced by the ability to walk on them).

We bought a quality cover for under $300 from camping world. It's relatively easy to put on and take off; as well as breaths well to prevent mold or mildew.

Biggest concern would be to make sure you have the majority of water from your pipes so they don't freeze.

Trailer Life magazine usually publishes good winterizing tips when winter approaches. You may want to watch the newstands for a copy (or just get a subscription).

Roger
Air Force Retired
Life Member - Good Sam Club
2001 F250 SD 4x4/V10
2000 Starcraft 24RK TT
2007 HD FXSTD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Winter storage question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts