|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> AAA plus vs. Good Sam's ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
NickH

Houston TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 01:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same day I drove my new Class C home from the dealership, I call AAA to upgrade my membership to AAA plus ($75/yr), which includes RV towing services.
The next day I joined the Good Sam club. When their new member kit came, I read over their RV Emergency Road Service ($80/yr), looks like it does same thing as AAA plus.
What's the real difference between the two plans?
I've been pretty pleased w/ AAA, I use their travel agency & travel services the most, with lots of free (included) maps & triptiks.
Again, what's the REAL skinny on the 2 plans?
Thanks,

Skline01

Norton Shores, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 03:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have had AAA for years - I think it makes a difference on your rig. On the way home from the dealership with my brand new 5th wheel I hit a road hazard and had a flat tire - I felt pretty good since I had upgraded my AAA before I picked up the trailer - guess what - they did not cover 5th wheels - great suprise at a bad time - they attempted to help - but ultimately I had to get the dealership to come out - switched to Good Sam the next day - also made sure I had an appropriate jack from that day forward - just a thought

bamnc

Raleigh, NC - 1983 Bluebird Wanderlodge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/02 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nick, there have been previous discussions about AAA road service. They just are not in the business of offering services to RVers. In a lot of states AAA doesn't even offer any kind of RV services.

I had AAA for many years but when we got an RV and had our first need for road service we immediately got our road service through FMCA which has worked great and also covers our cars too.

My advice is to go with a ERS that is specifically designed to support the RVers.

Good Luck.

Bruce in Raleigh, NC
FMCA 7142s/ARS: KI4ME/Viet Vet 3rd MarDiv Medic('66-67)
Webmaster Wanderlodge Owners Online
My Web Page

wordfolk

Gainesville, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had AAA for years and been very satisfied with it. In May I had a blowout in western Ark. on I-40. I immediately got on my cell phone (which is the best investment I have made for RVing peace of mind) and called AAA. My membership is in Florida so I had to call National AAA. Then after several discussions I learned I had not purchased the RV coverage. I have had the PLUS coverage for years and AAA covered a blowout I had on I-40 the previous year without question. All to say after considerable air time they finally agreed to add the coverage effective immediately and ordered out service for me. The service people arrived promptly from about 40 miles away, put my spare on and I was on my way. The AAA service person remarked there were a bunch of road services he wouldn't respond to as they paid such a small amount for an RV tire call. But AAA was fair. I didn't ask which ones he was referring to, but would consider that question as a criteria for selecting a road service. I have been tempted to go with ERS, but have not wanted to chance it. Guess I could carry both for a period and see if there was a difference.

Wordfolks
2001 Allegro Bay 36DB-V10-Banks
Chev Malibu toad w Brake Buddy

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/02 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through the same process as you did last November. Here's the link to the thread on what others provided me and my end result.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/85096.cfm

Incidentally, I ended up keeping AAA for my wife and daughters as members (which also covers me when they are with me), but also registered my wife's car, my truck, and FW under Good Sam ERS, so we have it both ways.

Hope this helps.

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

Tim and Karen

Marianna, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nick,

We've had GS for about 5 years. Had to use it 4 times, and each went well- even in the middle of no-where.

TIM

Tim and Karen and TinkerBelle--the possessive little Terrier.
'99 HR Vacationer-33'

Joe Weber

Lewisville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/02 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nick, I was a member of AAA for 18 years. This is my 2nd year with GS. Simce May I have had 3 tire changes and one tow. I have very impressed with the response time. All calls I had service within a half hour or less. I never had that kind of service with AAA, most calls were at least an hour. I can cover all family members with GS for what AAA charged for just me. I do miss AAA maps and tour books.

2003 Silverado 2500HD, LS, CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2006 Open Road 357 RL3S-5

rvlady

Sublimity, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A important piece of information to know from ANY insurance company (RV) is whether they will tow your towable RV back to civilization if your tow vehicle is disabled and has to be towed. We cover our truck and trailer through our car insurance (USAA) but the trailer stays put UNLESS the breakdown occurs on the highway. We had AAA for many years before getting big trucks and trailers--they consider a 3/4 ton truck an RV and it isn't covered under an auto policy. They don't like to get off the pavement either. I called the GS coverage people--they know what it means to get both truck and trailer out of a situation. We haven't yet made the switch, but wouldprobably gowith GS.

Linda

Linda and husband Dave (retired US Army) W7DDW
Magic, Yellow Lab Female, born 18 July 2010. R.I.P., Jake!
2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i Generator
2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake

4x4Bob

California.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/02 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NickH
I have had two different TT, a 24 ft and a 22 ft, covered by AAA. Plus towing and full insurance coverage. Anyway they took my money for 10 years.
Three weeks ago I called my AAA representative to inquire if my awning would be covered if damaged. They said yes. Then I inquired as to how they would handle towing my current 22 ft TT which is on my policy with them.
The surpprising answer was they will not tow any TT over 21 ft.
The next day I called GoodSamClub and enrolled with their Emergency Road Service.
Bob

2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

Kayo

Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/02 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just dropped AAA as their Plus program covers only 4 calls per year. With the RV, and two cars, we hit it this year by July 1.
But why have CW? My RV insurance (RV Alliance) covers road calls and towing, and thew CW is just a duplication! And the $12/year USAA covers tghe two autos with no written limit.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> AAA plus vs. Good Sam's ERS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS