RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight dist. bars?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight dist. bars?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
JayW

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/02 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an older 18ft trailer, 3500# gross. I am towing it with an F250, 460 Gas engine, 4.10. Would a WD system benefit me, and how?

I just finished a 600 mile trip with no problems and no sway at all. But it sounds like a sway control would be cheap insurance. I'm not sure about the WD though.

Caddywhompus

Southeast WI

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/02 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WD benefits everyone! In fact, it is the most important part of a properly balanced tow rig.

WD alone will do more to stop sway and improve handling than any sway bar alone could ever manage. It's purpose is not just to keep the back of your truck from settling, which in your case probably doesn't visably happen. It's real purpose to to divide the tongue weight evenly across both front and rear axles. This keeps your front tires firmly in contact with the road, and maintains all the important steering geometry the the manafacturer intended. Keeping those front tires on the road firmly will make the truck handle better, improve steering response, improve braking and keep your headlights out of the trees. It also takes a significant amount of wear off your rear axle and springs, since they are no longer carrying so much weight.

I firmly recommend that all travel trailers have WD hitches AT THE BARE MINIMUM. I would rather see someone tow with a WD hitch and no sway control, than put a sway bar on with no WD hitch. Of course, ideally you should have both WD and sway control, and the best bet for someone like you is the Reese Dual-Cam. This hitch incorporates WD and sway control into one simple setup.

• '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight dist. bars?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS