|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Preparing Class A Motor Home for Winter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ZINKAT

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/02 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a new RVer, and would like some ideas on how to prepare my motor home for winter. I understand they have special anti-freeze for RV's. I am not quite sure how you get rid of most of the water in holding tanks and water heaters etc. I know how to drain the 2 main tanks, but I understand you dont get it all this way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil

bigdaddy & littlemama

Carthage, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/02 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of let us know what year and type of MH you have, and someone out here will have one just like it and will know how to set it up for cold weather.

bigdaddy & littlemama and "Miss Lucy & Chucky"
'02 Allegro Bay 35DB W22
"07 X Unlimited Wrangler
'05 Harley Trike
Our other coach is a school bus(yes, we both drive)

steve781

New England

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/02 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to this great info, here are some links that will help. I did mine last year for the first time. It's really simple. Take an hour or so.

http://www.rvsecrets.com/winterize.htm

http://www.outdoorsite.com/site/go.cfm/owner/FF9FE5D7-6FD5-463D-A13733C2C1D6E4D1

http://www.gonecamping.net/stories/winterize.html

Steve
2001 31' Four Winds Hurricane Class A 30Q / Ford V-10
Toad: 2004 Honda Element EX 4WD
Aventa II tow bar
Brake Buddy

Joseph Moore

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/02 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil,
I live in my Dynasty in Carson City, and also camp in it in Nevada, Idaho, and Death Valley throughout the winter. An alternative to winterizing is to keep it ready to use. One thing that helps is having the furnace on. I do not know if you have solar panels or electric hookups but if you do, you can leave the furnace on a low setting. When it gets cold enough to worry, the furnace kicks in and warms things up. I do not drain anything and have had no problems. Plus I can just unhook and drive away. If you do this, you must remember to unhook and drain or heat your water line. Just a thought.
Joe
97 Dynasty
Carson City NV

*This Message was edited on 11-Sep-02 07:26 AM by joseph moore*

Hutch1358

Tewksbury, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/02 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read most of the threads on winterizing and there are a couple of things that I do not see memtioned. If you have a washer/dryer it must be winterized and don't forget the ice cube maker and the undersink water filter if so equiped.

If I have forgotten anything please don't hesitate to add to this list because I'll probably be the one to forget it.

Celia Lee, Hutch & Dixie our Choc. Lab
Good Sam & KOA
2007 Keystone Everest 344J, Quad Slides
2005 Ford F-350,Crew Cab, SWB, 6.0 Diesel, Reese 16K Slide Hitch

big dave

Soldotna, Alaska, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/02 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open the drain on fresh water tank.
Open drain and pressure relief on water heater.
Open low point drains.
Open every tap (hot and cold) and flush toilet.
Take connections loose from ice maker and let drain.

Drive arround for a while. if your black and gray tanks aren't empty, dump them.

Now you can ether attach an air fitting to the water supply connection and close all the open valves then open one at a time while you blow air thru the lines. or buy a plastic hand pump and some RV antifreeze and pump it into the system, opening each tap one at a time till you get pink antifreeze.

Ether way be sure your pee traps, toilet and black and gray tanks have a little antifreeze.

Sounds like quite a project but isn't realy that bad. mine takes less than an hour.

Dave & Rose C
90 Safari Ivory 34' DP
04 Saturn VUE V6

Fab

Reynolds Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/02 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to all of the other suggestions, I store our coach on a tilt. This will allow all water to run off of the top where there are a lot of openings to ooze into, freeze and expand.

I also leave the roof vents open, (they have covers) and run a small fan on low to keep the air moving. If you seal it up too tight it will hold moisture and create odors and other problems. The fan on low is like leaving a 40 watt bulb on, not too expensive.

I also use 10 gallons of rv antifreeze to winterize, about 2 gallons for the lines and 8 gallons for those weekend trips to visit family or the ski resort.

Pee-pee only rule applies. LOL.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Preparing Class A Motor Home for Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS