RV.Net Open Roads Forum: LineX / Rinho liner/ etc on the roof?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LineX / Rinho liner/ etc on the roof?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
serpa4

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/02 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any reason a rubber roof shouldn't be covered with a flexible white spray on truck bed liner? I know they are heavy, but you can't have everything. It seems like it would be incredibly tough and last a lifetime without leaking. I know Linex could be sprayed thin and very smooth to sheet water off, and it comes in white. I'm guessing it would cost about$400 or so. I know they are also flexible, but don't know to what extent.

*This Message was edited on 20-Sep-02 12:08 AM by serpa4*

dyoung

alligator state

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/02 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the line-x in my truck and love it. I do not think you could use this on the cammper though. It would work fine in the field area, where there is little movement. At the cornors and front and rear caps is your areas of greatest movement. It would eventually crack. This is why even rubber roofs use the seem sealer and don't extend past. Just my .02 worth.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/02 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At first thought it sounds like a good idea....but like dyoung was saying, I am not sure about the expansion/contraction coefficient over a long stretch like a trailer. Secondly, you would have to completely strip the roof and prep it somehow before applying it if you have a rubberized roof as the spray would have to be adhered to the actual roof itself; and this will greatly increase the application cost probably? But, again, on first thought it sounds good.

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/02 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

)&^%$#@&!*()+!edfsgreyfk#$^%&*))((()!@$+++!@~~~+++WEFFDVCJZUWTS~~~~~~~

* This post was edited 11/23/03 07:58am by Kamphiker *

ppdavid

Norman, OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/02 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have ever watched them put the liners on, they will rough up the surface to give it some "tooth" so the liner will stick. Even then, it can still work up at the edges. if the spray is on a vinyl or other slick surface, it will not stick worth beans. I would guess that it will be tough to make it stick correctly to the rubber plus it will harden enough that it will crack at the seams as the roof flexes. Never seen it tried on a roof but that is what I think will happen. BTW....I have had several truck beds plus the interior & exterior of a Jeep coated with Line-X and it worked great. However, I was not trying to waterproof them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LineX / Rinho liner/ etc on the roof?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS