RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Quadsteer

Portland, OR. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/02 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be getting a new 26' travel trailer soon.
We feel investing in a good hitch with sway control is an important consideration. We have looked at many. The reese Dual Cam and the Equal-i-zer look very good. The Equal-i-zer looks like it would be easier to work with. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had experince with either of these products.

*This Message was edited on 11-Oct-02 10:49 PM by Quadsteer*

mike b

Lower Al.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/02 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the dual cam by reese.I find it very easy to use.Hooking up the weight bars is where the anti sway comes from.I have seen the equalizer on a display and looks simple as well.I chose the reese as I already had the reese weight bars.The dual cam uses these so it was just an add on to the bars and new brackets for the trailer. With the equalizer I would have ended up buying the whole setup.The dual cam was less than 200.00 compared to the almost 500 I was quoted.The dual cam may have been the same if I had needed to buy new weight bars and hitch head.

mike b

04 Laredo 28RE
3/4 ton GMC

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/02 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reese and DrawTite are the same company and offer the same products including dual-cam (might be a couple of exceptions), so if they have what you like, shop around for the best price.

As Mike said, if you already have a w/d hitch, see if the dual-cam kit can be fitted to your existing spring bars...or if needed, buy new spring bars and the dual-cam kit and reuse the rest of your hitch.

Ken

Rain-drop

Des Moines, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/02 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Mike mentoned if you already have a hitch the dual cam may be the $ way to go. I got the Equal-i-er because I needed to get the complete hitch set up last summer. It was more ecnomical to for me to go that route.
I towed tent trailers before, but this was the first time of towing anything of any size and weight. I can not comment of the other hitches, the Equal-i-zer was very easy to use. I could hook up to my trailer at any angle. It works well. On our maden voyage I went from Western Washington into Eastern Washington. 2 lane rodes with semi's. On the way back encountered 40 mph head winds and cross winds with Semi's along side. Other trips included 4 to 5 lanes of traffic on I-5 and end up sandwitch between Semi's. None of it produced white nuckles. The trips remained very relaxed, except perhaps being sanwitched between the semi's, but that was from traffic concerns verses any handling concerns.
Can't go wrong either way. I would say this boils down to economics. I got mine at hitch corner on the web. About $500 to $525, I can't remember now, on the door step.
Good Luck

Duane Gibb
96 Suburban K2500 454 4.10
Equal-i-zer, Prodogy & Mckesh mirrors
03 Thor Wanderer 182DT Hybrid

Quadsteer

Portland, OR. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/02 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My name is Larry and am new to this forum thing. When I posted the the request for information, I'm sorry did't remember to include my name. Thank you Mike, Ken and Duane for your thoughts. I Don't have a W/D Hitch, or for that mater even a trailer yet. Since that is the case it might be just as easy to go with the Equal-i-zer, and get it all in one package.

Larry & Connie
2002 GMC Sierra 1500, Ext. cab, 2WD, 5.3 V-8
3.73 gears, Quad Steering. Komfort 24TQ Equal-i-zer Hitch.

4rhijos

Los Lunas, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 of my 3 sons (11 & 9) can back me in then hitch the whole thing up. I call that easy. (My 7 year old tries but can't raise the trailer tongue when it is hooked up to the truck.)

As for being on the road, I cant't agree enough with the other positive posts. No white knuckles at all. Very relaxed.

1995 Tahoe 4x4, 4dr, 3.73
2002 Frontier 2205QS-F
Prodigy

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I might as well toss in my opinion. I have an Equalizer and love it. I have put 5000 miles on the TT this year, faced 50-60 mph gusty xwinds, high mountian roads, freeway traffic (both open road and city stuff), off roaded - dragging the tail and tongue and have not regretted the purchase yet. In fact I have praised it many times.

Bill
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

Roll-em

Deltona, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larry,

Just to add to this list of positive responses for Equalizer, I've had mine on 2 different trailers for a year and I wouldn't leave home without it. No sweat. No sway. Before that, my old weight distributing bars gave me fits every time a big vehicle buzzed by. Now it is smooth sailing.
Don't forget to get a good brake controller as well. That also add much peace of mind. I have and love the Prodigy.

backtomontana

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/02 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased the Equal-I-Zer hitch for my 25' trailer and have been very pleased with the performance. I have not felt any sway in the trailer at all and it is pretty easy to hook-up. I bought a duffle bag to keep all the bars and pins in that way they don't get misplaced.

Dale
1999 Dodge Cummins QC-Auto-3.54
2002 Prowler Wilderness 25J
Tekonsha Prodigy & Equal-I-Zer hitch

edm

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll just add another endorsement for the Equal-i-zer. It is well made, and the company has excellent customer support. I have been quite pleased with its performance.

'99 Chevy Suburban K2500, 454, 4.10, 265/75/16 LR E
'02 Fleetwood Wilderness 27H
Equal-i-zer hitch, prodigy controler
'89 GMC Suburban R1500, 350, 3.73, just 'cause I like it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts