|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Reese Dual Cam adjustment/setup

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Capt. Grumph

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/03 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently bought a 24' Road Ranger with a 99 Expy 5.4 w/tow package as our TV. I had the dealer upgrade the friction bar to a Reese Dual cam (wana Hensley but kinda poor right now). When we picked up the guy doing the install told be that the "7th link" in the chain was about right. Towed home (about 70 miles) with no problems but was stuck in traffic alot of the time. Got home to find they had greased all the joints on the DC, so I'm guessing they didn't know all that much about how to set up the thing (they didn't know how to set up the Prodigy either,that's another story). I've looked at the Reese site but they only seem to have install directions. I'll e-mail Resse and see if I can get directions but we're hopeing to hit the road soon for a few short trips localy to shake down the TT (and us) before doing some longer trips this summer.
Can anybody give me some advise on how the DC should be set up?

Thanks Much!
C.G.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/03 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capt. Grump, Hiya.

Yep, join the club; another unfortunate victim of a dealer with little or no knowledge about what they are selling.

Ok, will answer what I can...and come back with more Q if you need.

1) Use a solvent and remove all grease from the cams and saddles. They should not be greased as this destroys the efficiency of them. The noise you will hear at first in tight turns and when backing up only means they are working as they should. If you need, use a very small bit of Vaseline on them to help quiet them.

2) You indicated you found the install instructions on www.reeseproducts.com. You should have received a set of instructions with your hitch from the dealer also. It is critical these be followed exactly. After you are done, you will determine how many links need to be hanging/dropped.

You will find the dual cam is a very efficient system.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/03 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CG,
Here is a post I made earlier on this subject.

Go here Reese
and then click on the "support" tab and then click on "installation instructions" then "Weight Distributing Hitches". When the next page comes up you can download a PDF file for installing the DualCam system. These are the same instructions that come with the unit when new. It also has the adjustment instructions for the Dual Cam near the end. Also, as Kusani said, make sure you have your hitch properly adjusted according to the manufacturer instructions. I found I had to take one extra link up in the chain when I switched to the Dual Cam setup from my old friction control. This was due to the length of the "stirrup" looking gadgets the chain hooks to. When you get it all adjusted correctly, your truck and trailer should be level and your spring bars should be roughly parallel to the ground - not pointing up or down.
Good luck.

*This Message was edited on 03-Jan-03 05:14 PM by bsmith0337*

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/03 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You got good advice from bsmit & kusani......and I would definitely find another RV service center.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
08 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 6 sp. Auto, 4.30 Rear, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Reese Dual Cam adjustment/setup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS