|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> valve-extensions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
olyfldrebe

flossmoor, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/01 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an almost new 24' Jamboree, built on a ford chassis. It is newrly impossible to fill the outside tires on the rear duals since the valves point in. Even experienced truck stop attandannts and tire dealers have immense trouble and never are certain their guage readings are correct. Is there any way to correct the problem? I have tried 90 degree extensions and they do not do a satisfactory job.
Is Ford willing to correct this problem as it is a disincentive to proper maintenance?
Olyfldrebe

Chuck S.

Tonasket, Wa. 98855

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/01 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have inward turning valves. I found that I could use a dual head gauge and filler with no problem. They should be available at any good autoparts store. I got mine at NAPA. Chuck....

gswanson

Yucca Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/01 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what you're talking about. I most likely have the same Ford wheels on my rig. NOT a good design.

Some will tell you to get the longer truck type air chuck that has both a forward and a reverse "nozzle". I bought one and it did not work to my liking - - the rubber valve stems are too flexible. I then bought relatively short "rigid" [as opposed to flexible] extensions. Mine were bent to something like 120 degrees. I had to bend them to something like 135 degrees for them to properly fit. This worked, as long as I held the extension with a needle-nose vise-grip while putting on the air chuck. After a year or so, they gave out.

The local tire shop replaced the rigid extensions with longer [say 5"] flexible extentions that have a clamp that attaches to the wheel cover. Still not a great solution, but it does work right now. I was told to replace the extensions every 2 or 3 years, before they went South......

The real solution might be to replace the rubber valve stems with rigid metal valve stems and then use the truck type air chuck.

Help from Ford? That makes me smile.

Happy trails.............

olyfldrebe

flossmoor, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/01 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for your experience. As I said, I have installed the right angle extensions. Stopped at an RV place nearby today and they suggest merely adding extensions to these. I will try it, but not much confidence.
Olyfldrebe

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/01 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had a problem filling tires until my last three with fancy wheel covers or whell liners. Have to go back with running bare wheels I guess.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Fleet Man

Western WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/01 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered adding flexible extensions which terminate/attach to the wheel hub. These are air tubes which attach to the individual valve stems and attach to the hub in a very accessable manner. Makes checking pressures and adding air a breeze. I believe Camper World carries them. Some dealers do also.

2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

olyfldrebe

flossmoor, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/01 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard that the flexible extensions are unreliable and tend to leak. Any feedback about that?>

Don Gluckman

Phil Rob

San Antonio, TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/01 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the steel braided extenders that attach to the wheel covers. Have made sure that the extenders do not rub the sides of the covers, and have had no problems. Extenders are rivited to the liners so they wont loosen with driving.

Jim Stehn

Rockwall, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/01 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both rigid and flex extensions on my dual rear tires of my 2000 Adventurer and have had no problems with them. They are not hard to use and have not leaked. I do use a dual head tire gauge and I check them often.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Geronimo".

Sea Dog

Ontario Can.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/01 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. All.
I have a set of the least expensive rubber extenders from Campers World.
Went to Alaska and back over some rough roads and did not loose any air.
Work good with wheel covers and you can check all six in less than five minutes.

Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> valve-extensions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: