|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> waxing the roof

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the daylight finally showed up Sunday, I gave the roof its first bath and two questions came to mind as a looked at all of that extra fiberglass.

Do you wax a fiberglass roof? I think I know the answer but want to see if anyone can convince of reason why not.

There's this small solar panel up there (I knew it was there but had never climbed up for a visit). Is there any special cleaning care that it requires?

Thanks for any responses - a double thanks for anyone that can convince me not to wax the roof.

Tom

2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wax the roof it will make it a lot easier to keep clean and reflect more heat. Adds about two hours.

Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ames,

You are not into the spirit of this thread. Think more along the lines of: "Waxing the roof will make it too slick and dangerours. A benefit/risk analysis clearly shows the financial cost of an emergency room visit exceeds in saving in cleaning time. The two ac's will be able to keep us cool."

Sarah has already vetoed that argument; I need something more convincing.

Thanks,
Tom

TJW

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/02 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you wax a fiberglass roof? I think I know the answer but want to see if anyone can convince of reason why not.

I say wax the roof . I use either turtle wax or 3m a boat wax made for fiberglass. SOOO what is your answer since you know it. I am about to get up on the roof and give it a wax.

There's this small solar panel up there (I knew it was there but had never climbed up for a visit). Is there any special cleaning care that it requires?

Maybe a little wax on there wouldn't hurt .

Thanks for any responses - a double thanks for anyone that can convince me not to wax the roof.

Reason not to wax would be Do Not Drink and wax.
You can always say that you are afraid of heights.

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulsar,
How about all the crawling around on the roof will cause all the seals to be stressed by the flexing and cause leaks at the caulked seams. Also the sweat dripping off of me will have a high salt content which is corrosive.

If that fails: Tell your spouse it is a great weight reducer and tones the body and you will let her have the pleasure and physical benifits derived from waxing the d__m roof.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/02 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulsar this was covered last month. The majority vetoed the waxing of the roof. In fact most of us cleaned the roof from a large step ladder. Less chance of falling off. I use a wash & wax car wash soap and a long brush connected with a hose and work off the ladder. Then solar pannel just clean like you do the roof. [emoticon]

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Ipanema

Punta Gorda, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/02 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom:
I have a feeling that Sarah has already decided to take out an extra accidental life insurance policy on you. Seems like you're going to do it anyway!
Well, at least there's one benefit to a rubber roof huh?

Ed and Lilian

Penn State Class of 1956

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ames,
Thanks! I like the "seals to stressed" and "leaks" and that "corrosive sweat" is a nice touch. And your other ideas, why I hadn't even consider the "Tom Sawyer" approach.

TJW,
Maybe if I did drink and wax, I wouldn't mind the waxing - but falling off the roof changes from being a possibility to being a probability. (You must have notice that I din't respond to the "Who doesn't drink" tread.

rvten,
I thought about borrowing your ladder. Then I remember the ridicule L.D. held Charles Holley up to - and that was only 225 miles.

Ipanema,
You may be on to something. Sarah keeps asking, "How are we going to pay for this thing?" You're right about the rubber roof - I never complained about waxing it.

Thanks for the help. Other suggestions will be appreciated. There are still more than two hours before I have to start. With all of this extra daylight I won't have an excuse.

Tom

*This Message was edited on 10-May-02 03:10 PM by pulsar*

Grouchman

Somewhere in the USA on the back roads

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/02 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom,

No fair, I just had to wax mine this last weekend, devil (wife) made me do it. She didn't like the gray streaks coming down the side. I tried to tell her that it gives the coach character but she wouldn't by it. Wish I had started this topic last week, there are some great ideas I never thought of.

*This Message was edited on 08-Apr-02 03:07 PM by Grouchman*

John

I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.

Bill S.

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/02 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a product out called Woody Wax, (I think it's www.woodywax.com), made for the surfaces of BOATS on whick you walk. It's also good (again, for boats)for the aluminum super-structure, like tuna towers. Water beads up, and it has U.V. inhibitors in it. Maybe it would be good for a fiberglass motorhome roof. I might add that it does NOT give it any gloss. In fact, it's probably more of a satin luster. Just FYI.

Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
Celebrating 30 years RVing
Our First State

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> waxing the roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS