RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Viruses (Forum Members)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Viruses (Forum Members)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
DutchStar3670

Amarillo, TX 79102

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contrary to what has been said before, I just received a virus with a Forum members address. I emailed him and confirmed he had not sent it since I had not opened it. The only way I know this individual is from the forum and have never had any emails with him before. Somehow, some KOOK is getting into the member data and sending these viruses. Beware.

Bob & Doris
'02DutchStar3670
'02 Saturn L-200

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it is rampant. As I told you I even got an email with virus attached from myself. Because I am protected with up-to-date antivirus software I was able to laugh--but it is a serious thing.

Is Open Roads the source of spoofed email addys? I never recieved any from what looked like forum members until I made mine public a while back. But admin assures us that it is not possible. And the way klez works is to raid client email contacts.

So who knows. Everyone just needs to make sure your protected. If you can't afford Norton use Grisoft's AVG, it's free. Keep it up to date, and set it to scan incoming and outgoing email.

For more information please see Frequently Asked Questions on the Open Roads Forum, scroll down to 21 Working with the Forum.

*This Message was edited on 10-Nov-02 06:25 PM by cmoehle*

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/02 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is definately still going on. I got one tonight from cmoehle. Yes Cris, I know you did not send it and I deleted it without opening it. If you notice, all these e-mails have a size of 65-85 or more KB. I do not open any, even if they are from someone I know, that are that size unless I am expecting a photo or something. I run Norton and check for updates everyday, but I don't want to even chance opening one of those e-mails just "in case" Norton doesn't catch it.

*This Message was edited on 10-Nov-02 06:31 PM by bsmith0337*

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2016 Ram Laramie 2500, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, SB

DutchStar3670

Amarillo, TX 79102

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I run Norton on both my computers. But Admin has to be wrong since the only contact Chris and I have is on this forum.. I just wanted others to know and not to open even though they are "Forum members" sending. I've had thirty or more attampts this past week. I thought when school started, it would slow down, but hasn't.

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get at least 1 from cmoehle every day.I think
the computers are taking over!!

*This Message was edited on 10-Nov-02 06:43 PM by camping man*

5thwheeler

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The klex virus gets into our address book and targets every e-mail address in there. Get an anti virus program like norton and make sure it is always updated and running. Welcome to the club.

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back another member was a common source and had to change email addys to stop it. One odd aspect of that period was that some of the emails did not have attachments and the bodies made some sense, and if you responded, whoever it was on the other end would sometimes even respond back.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know and not suspecting me. I have never sent members emails with attachments, and wouldn't without it being requested. Any email of large size should be suspect.

I'm curious about one thing: Are there members whose email addys are not public on these forums but who recieve virus-attached emails from other members?

*This Message was edited on 10-Nov-02 08:11 PM by cmoehle*

PRT

NY~FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris,
Quote:

I'm curious about one thing: Are there members whose email addys are not public on these forums but who recieve virus-attached emails from other members?

I had my email address up here for some time and got lots of virus laden emails at my hotmail address. Also notification that I was sending undeliverable messages - which I wasn't. I took it off and they stopped.I put it back up here last night and so far nothing. I'll let you know.
Pat

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5thwheeler,

===
The klex virus gets into our address book and targets every e-mail address in there. Get an anti virus program like norton and make sure it is always updated and running.
===

I agree this KLEZ virus is still floating around that causes havoc. But I dont think it is the same as the one being discussed on the forums.

The reason is it seems there is a virus that operates totally independent of any individual or their email address books. What appears to be happening it seems to pickup any valid email address and places that name in the From: address and picks up others for the To: address - it doesnt have to access anyones email address book to operate effectively.

It seems then to add an attachment as a small 40-50K zipfile and off it goes.

Im not convinced it ever sees anyones PC...just email addresses it collects from the internet. It also seems focused on this forum - at least to collect the From/To addresses which is why there is a false belief that it is accessing everyones address book.

The post a few down further confirm my thoughts...from bsmith0337 receiving an email from Chris (cmoehle). Chris has is email available and so is bsmith0337. I dont think it has anything to do with any users personal PC email address book and thats why it isnt being caught by Norton or other AV programs. The email is harmless...the zipfile or contents may contain a virus.

*This Message was edited on 10-Nov-02 09:47 PM by wittmeba*

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/02 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchStar3670,

Your email is public. What I said to 5thwheeler still holds true - email addresses are picked up on the forum (not your PC or Chris's PC) for the From/To and files may be attached.

I still say the emails are just emails. They wont be seen by any AV program until you open the attachments - thats where Norton will catch the virus.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Viruses (Forum Members)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS