|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda Generator Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
clifsmith

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering purchasing (2) Honda EU2000i generators and will connect them in parallel.

-Can you leave them connected that way an only run one without hurting the other one?

-How long will both of them run at 1/2 load on a single tank of gas?

-Are 2 EU2000 louder than one EU3000is all running at 1/2 load each?

-Anyone find or fabricate an external fuel tank for the EU2000?

Thanks.

2002 Outback 28-bhs.
2000 4x4 Ford Excursion Limited Powerstroke Diesel (300hp chipped).
Weekend Campers from Austin, Texas

Claude B

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it is a good idea to run the gen in parallel on the same load!

The problem is that you don't have a synchroniser between the two gen. You will have the voltage and the same frequency +/1 hz but NOT synchro.

The problem will come when you will start the second generator, it is impossible to sychronize with the first one running. You will breake something or they will both shut off by protection device if so equiped. Also,you don't have a load shearing electronic device to run the in parellel.

Yes, you can have 2 gen. BUT with separate loads.

Claude B, maint. mngr. Gas turbines power station in Montreal 280,000 kw

Hope this will help.

Sorry for my english, i am french canadian.

*This Message was edited on 24-Jan-03 12:57 PM by Claude B*

clifsmith

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are tons of people on this site running 2 EU2000i gens at the same time. Apparently these hondas syncronize automatically so this is not a problem. The hondas also had an option cord that attached between the hondas for this very purpose.

Merry

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/03 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NH_Bob and Pulltoy are both experts on this subject.....and NH_Bob has some excellent links on his sig. Here is a great thread on this http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/557684.cfm

2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

Claude B

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry,

Also, one at full load will cost you less fuel than 2 at 50% load. WHY ? A gaz engine as a effecency of about 20 to 25 % max. So you are burning fuel without producing power ( heat loss)

By running both, you double your loss.

Claude B

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I guess, it is a profesionnal deform with the "big" ones !

These japeneses, they think of everything.

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ClaudeB: The Honda EU series are not conventional engine driven generators. They are generator/inverter sets. The engine drives a high frequency alternator that in turn powers a special inverter section. The electronics in the inverter section take care of the synchronization automatically.

clifsmith: Sorry, I don't know the answer to your running time questions. Someone has recently posted that they adapted a marine gas tank to vacuum feed the 2000 through the gas cap. The "how-to" is on this forum. Try entering "Honda" and "boat" in the search engine. As for noise level, the only way to know would be to do a real world test. It is so close from the bare math that I doubt you would notice the difference. Keep in mind that 50% output of twins is higher than 50% output of the 3000. 50% for the 3000 is 1,400 watts. 50% for the twins is 1,600 watts. Two 2000s will be 3dB louder than one, so on the surface, they should be a tad louder than the 3000, but since the twins won't be working as hard at a given power output, their RPMs will be lower. The lower RPMs mean a lower sound level. How that all shakes out is hard to say. My best guess is that it would work out to be a "wash" between the twins and the 3000. You'd probably need a SPL meter to tell the difference. At worst, the twins would probably be only barely louder than the 3000. Not enough that that factor alone should make or break chosing either one.

As for running one alone, there is nothing in the manual saying "no." Since normal start up and shut down requires running one while the other is shut down, I don't see why running it for longer would hurt it. If it doesn't fry something in the first 30 seconds, it doesn't seem logical that 3 hours would affect it. Also, it would be pretty silly of Honda to design something that self-destructs if one unit happens to run out of gas or die while the owners are out hiking. I know that one can go into overload and shutdown and the other will go merrily on making juice. I've already unknowingly done that test a couple of times.

Mayberry's seems to be doing a lot of testing lately and may know the answer. Give them a call. They try to be helpful. If you find out what they say... please post! Good luck, whichever you choose.

clifsmith

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have searched through this forum and asked the questions above because I could not find answers on this forum. Anyone, please tell me your experiences with this setup. I know you are out there.

mrclay1

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 EU2000's hooked together like NHBOB's deal. I have had my 13.5 AC, microwave and all the lites on and they purr away like what load?(not started all at once). I tried one for AC only and it ran OK...gen was grunting though at start up. I gotta do set-up alone so weight was the deal. If you always have a fork-lift handy, get the electric start mega watt gen. The "Twins" are sweet for me.

'03 Komfort 25TBS, Equal-i-zer,Prodigy & 98 Lance 9'6"
'03 F350 W33,PSD,auto
Me, wife, kid and (JRT) dog

mrclay1

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/03 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, BTW this was at 4500'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues