RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: EU 2000 Slide Mount?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> EU 2000 Slide Mount?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
beeman

Yakima, WA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/03 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I tow with a 5er, I began to think about where I might store the two genereators and run them. To my amazement, I measured my front storage compartment and realized that they would fit quite well. FWIW- I did some research online and found a company that sells heavy duty drawer slides. The name of the company is HETTICH and they are rated at a load capacity of 250#. The 20 inch model is $66.33. If the EU 2000`s are stored with the exhaust facing forward in the direction of the tow vehicle, it should be possibe to run them by simply pulling the slide out and starting them up.
In this post, I almost forgot to include the ph. number for Hettich drawer slide. It is 1-800 338-1082. If you do a online search with the company name or query " heavy duty drawer slide" you should be able to get more information if this application has any appeal.

2oldman

Haugan MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/03 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the front storage compartment is under the 'throat opening' ( eg.. no headroom for you) that may make it difficult to fill the generators with fuel and start them.

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/03 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you have in mind is not impossible, just not as easy as it first appears. The very first thing to consider is CO. It is deadly and you must take that into account whatever you decide to do.

Secondly, the arrangement of the pull cord and the exhaust on the EUs make it tough. The pull cord is on the side and the exhaust is on the rear. If you mount them with the exhaust facing out, you won't be able to get to the control panel which is on the opposite end from the exhaust. Plus, the starter pull cords and the on/off control will be on the sides of the end that is away from you and harder to reach. If you mount them side by side, no matter which way you face the exhaust, one pull cord is going to be obstructed by the other generator.

If you mount them end to end with the exhausts facing away from each other, both pull cords will be on the wrong side and inaccessible. If you mount them end to end with the exhausts facing each other, both pull cords will be accessible. If they are closely mount, the exhaust from one might melt the housing on the other.

You probably won't want to mount them with both exhausts facing into the compartment for heat, noise and CO reasons.

I would suggest that you not plan on operating the units while on the pull out drawer. Just make some nice "cradles" for them and haul them in the compartment. When you want to use them, pull them out and put them on the ground. YMMV.

*This Message was edited on 27-Jan-03 12:33 PM by pulltoy*

beeman

Yakima, WA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the slide mount is not a great idea because of a possible CO issue, where do you run these generators? I was thinking that if this were an Onan installation mounted permanately, The CO issue would also apply. Any thoughts from others who use these honda twins?

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do 'em on the ground, near the rear vs the bedroom. On a really hot, steamy nite of remote camping, I like the opportunity to run at bedtime, AC thermostat on timer, then let the EU's run dry, or not, but either way nearly totally out of earshot. OTOH, crossing a long hot Texas or Arizona, I put em in the truck bed to run the AC with minimal concerns about fumes or adequate cooling.

I can only put one EU in the forward hatch, have 4 T105's to share the space, and haven't yet built a rack to stack them 2x.

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

RV Guy

Lipan, TX.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/03 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beeman,

I think if you installed them on your slide drawer and pulled it out during operation, you should be fine. You could attain additional margin for safety by installing a CO detector inside the RV in the bedroom area. While trailering, you could bungie them down on the slide drawer and then remove the bungie cords and arrange them in the most convenient fashion during operation.

Not quite as convenient as a built-in genset but close.

Jim

2008 Silverado 3500 D/A CC Dually
2007 Mobile Suites Deluxe - 36SB3
Reese 20K Hitch
Kipor KGE6000Ti generator

beeman

Yakima, WA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/03 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for reponses and valuable advice. If I am on the open highway, I most likely run`em in back of the truck. The CO issue is something to not take lightly. I went to home Depot yesterday to look at CO monitors and will definitely buy one just to be safe. I do like the slide mount idea but only as a tool in getting them in and out. Again thanks again- I value your time spent in responding.

RoadKingMoe

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/03 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another problem with running the generators on the trailer is that the sound and vibration they create are conducted into the trailer. They'll certainly "sound" louder in the trailer that way.

--
Maurice

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/03 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't say you couldn't because of CO, I just said to be aware of the problem. For example, facing the exhausts into the compartment would have the potential of putting CO into the trailer if the compartment was not perfectly sealed. If the compartment was under the overhang, is there any form of vent under there that would allow access for CO to the interior? Just looking at those kinds of issues is what I meant.

But you still can't mount them permanently side by side with both facing the same direction and still be able to pull the starter ropes. If your compartment is deep enough, you could "stagger" them and allow access to the starter ropes. But, that drawer better pull out all the way as the starter ropes will be on the end that is partially in the compartment if you mount with the exhausts facing out. Take a look at a picture of the EU1000/2000 and look at where the starter rope is. It pulls out to the side.

I put mine on the ground by the TT's shore power connection at the rear.

As for your Onan generator question, RV compartment mount generators all include exhaust systems that route the exhaust outside and away from the RV.

*This Message was edited on 28-Jan-03 10:14 AM by pulltoy*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> EU 2000 Slide Mount?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS