|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda Parallel Cables for EU2000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dward51

McDonough, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/03 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone verify that the shrouded plugs on the Honda EU2000 for parallel operation, are the standard 4mm shrouded banana plugs (like shrouded test lead plugs)?

Wanting to make my own parallel cable set, and found some 4mm ones rated at 20amp 1000v, just wanted to try and make sure they were the right plug first (actually this is the only size I have found so I'm reasonably sure it's correct).

Dward51

1998 Towlite 24TD, 2002 1500 GMC Sierra, wife, 2 kids & a truck full of telescopes...

karl&june

Seneca, Penna

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just look at the more recent post on Honda generators. NH_Bob gives a link to a wonderful parallel set-up. Should answer all your questions.

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the right ones. Where did you find them? I had no luck locating any. I used the EU1000 cables and cut them up for the plugs. If I ever decide to make another set, I would like to have some of the plugs on hand.

dward51

McDonough, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found them on the web (where else?) ....

Mueller Electronics makes them, and RS Electronics will sell small quanititys for $3.08 each. Web link is:

RS Electronics

I'm calling Don Mayberry to order 2 of the EU2000's tomorrow and will also make my own cable(I wanted the shrouded safety margin). One thing I had considered is using the 'walmart plug' idea to connect only the ground lug between the two gensets. As I understand it, the new Honda parallel cables added a ground wire which is mounted to the gound screw below the banana jacks. If I use the 'walmart plug' idea only for the ground, by plugging it into one of the duplex outlets and using the shrouded banana jacks for the actual AC interconnect, I get fast hookup (no tools) and the added safety of shrouded plugs if they are accidentially disconnected. What do you think?

*This Message was edited on 27-Jan-03 06:01 PM by dward51*

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that is a wonderful idea. I wish I had thought of it. I used the outer covering from the piece of 10/3 SO I used in the project a sleeves for the EU1000 cable pieces. I used the ground wires from the 10/3 SO through the sleeves and have been putting the wire ends under the ground screws. I have been kicking around getting some alligator clips but your idea is way more sanitary. I will implement it as soon as the snow around the storage shed melts. Thanks!

RoadKingMoe

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two red plugs, two black plugs (to keep the hot vs common polarity correct), and a ground wire running between two 3-prong plugs oughta do the trick. Let us know how it works out!

--
Maurice

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Test lead (red/black) work just fine, that's exactly what I used on my first set. The ground wire is NOT any new addition, however; as shown in the orig. photos of the EU2K box (Honda version), the ground cable came stock from the outset.
So. Making the ground connection between the EU's does nothing to solve the polarity problem; using red/black shrouded, as I did initially, does, as long as you plug them consistently in the 2 units. I found mine at a surplus electronics outfit, and they are common on high-voltage test meters. As to color-coded bananas vs Wal-mart cords, purely a matter of balancing personal preferences in my book.

*This Message was edited on 28-Jan-03 10:06 AM by NH_Bob*

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda Parallel Cables for EU2000