RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: water regulator vs flow restriction

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> water regulator vs flow restriction

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LetsRV

Portland, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/03 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As most people, I have been using the brass flow restritor between the faucet and hose of the fresh water inlet on my MH.
I have recently heard that I should be using a regulator instead.....?
I see that they have them in the Camping World catalog (with a guage) but guess I don't understand the difference.
The information that I was reading said the regulator would give you more flow at the faucets than the restrictor. If the restrictor is set for 45lbs and the regulator is set for 45lbs that where does the extra water come from..........? Obviously I dont' get it (gee, that's a first) and help would be appreciated.

Do you use a restrictor or a regulator and is there a difference?

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

Occasionally in error but never in doubt.

biga

Bastrop, LA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/03 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use one of the cheap in-line pressure regulators, the water flow is severely restricted. The final answer to this problem is the Watts N45BU ¾” water pressure reducing valve. It has ¾” female pipe threads on each end and is adjustable from 25 to 75 PSI.

Go to Home Depot and ask for help in locating their stock # 111388. Price is $19.94

To adapt it to hose fittings you will also need:
1 brass male hose to ¾” MIP adapter – Watts #A-665 - $2.96
1 brass female hose to ¾” FIP swivel – Watts # A-661 - $3.64
1 brass ¾” close nipple – Watts #A-877 - $2.30
Teflon thread tape.
This is the perfect set-up for protecting everything from the park hydrant and you will have all the flow you need at 50 PSI.
You can see pictures of it here: Here

*This Message was edited on 14-Mar-03 07:19 PM by biga*

*This Message was edited on 14-Mar-03 07:37 PM by biga*

Les Curren

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/03 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Watts water pressure reducing valve is no doubt the best way to go. But it won't help. It will control the pressure but flow is controlled by the smallest orifice the water must pass through. All RV's have 3/8" or smaller points of restriction in their plumbing. Plus as the other poster mentioned your hose. If you do decide to go with the Watts rig put it on the RV end of the hose.

LetsRV

Portland, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/03 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

biga ---- THANK YOU!!!!

Great answer and post.
Except for that part where I have to go to Home Depot...yea like I can get out of there with just the list of parts.....lol

Again Thanks....I appreciate the help and the info. Guess I'll go shopping today as we are headed out for the coast in a couple of weeks.

chuck

Kajtek1

CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/03 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both those thing you are talking about letsrv are regulators. Restrict-or would be a washer with tiny hole in it installed on the line.
The problem with RV regulators is, that they are small (cheap), with the main spring in diameter smaller, than pencil and never working right. The built-in the water hook-up/regulators are often noisily and making lot of headaches. You can disable it by removing the spring and piston from the inside and install one of those Watts regulator mentioned above. Even 1/2" size would be sufficient, but hard to buy. 3/4" is probably the best bet. It is big and heavy, but those things work on houses for 20-30 trouble-free years.

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/03 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

biga is right. The real answer is the increased volume of a larger regulator. The holes in the inline regulators are about 3/8 inch at best. A good 3/4 inch regulator will allow almost 4 times the volume.

Forgot to say that the hose will loose some of the increased volume for you as it is now the most constricted part of the line.

*This Message was edited on 14-Mar-03 08:10 PM by badeye*

Randy972

UPSTATE S.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/03 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I followed Biga advice and made the trip to Home Depot. The Watts N45BU made the difference. If a rver wants to eliminate their water pressure problems follow the list that Biga posted.

Les, my water pipes are 1/2 inch in our unit. The pipes have markings from the pipe manufacturer that states 1/2 inch ID. Travel Supreme was heads up when using this pipe.

*This Message was edited on 18-Mar-03 07:44 PM by Randy972*

Randy
Gulf Stream Friendship Diesel Pusher
Honda Accord

ronden

Scottsdale , Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/03 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biga,

We did as you suggested, today. Our local Home Depot does not stock the water pressure reducing valve that you mention, but we did find it at Loewes for $31.00

Thanks for your help.
It works perfectly.
The best water pressure we have ever had.

Alaskan

Nancy Lake, Alaska OR Mission, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/03 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have carried a good watts regulator for years, BUT usually ask what the park pressure typically runs, or physically check it myself. Most of the time you don't need to use a regulator. Only on very,very rare occassions do we use one...About eight or so years ago, we had one grow legs and unscrew itself from the spiget and actually grew legs and walked off...

*This Message was edited on 18-Mar-03 05:37 PM by Alaskan*

Happy Motoring
Butch & Sharon
2000 Diplomat
1999 Grand Vitara+ toad

kpowell

panama city, fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/03 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI: Just picked up all the parts at Home Depot, this looks like it is goint to be a great pice of gear.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> water regulator vs flow restriction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS