RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Sanitize fresh water tank??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sanitize fresh water tank??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bob & Mary

Albuquerque

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/03 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up on thread below about sanitizing fresh water tank. I had not heard this before. Do you simply use 8 oz. of bleach to every 30 gallons, leave for 30 minutes and flush? How often should this be done?
Just when I think I knew it all!!!!!!

2005 F350 - PSD - SRW - 4X4 - Crew Cab - Lariat
2002 HR Alumascape 28RLD
1998 Four Winns 18' Fish & Ski

tmorgan

Farmington Hills, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/03 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I sanitize mine is after winter storage to remove the left over antifreeze that may linger. There is some drinking water conditioner that I add when I get water added on the road. (Sometimes the water has too much iron) The additive is like a clourine/purifier.
I don't think bleach would be an option I would try. We also have a double filter to help clean the water going in!

*This Message was edited on 24-Mar-03 07:28 AM by tmorgan*

agkcpa

Santa Barbara, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/03 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a detailed description of the process go to Sanitizing

*This Message was edited on 24-Mar-03 07:41 AM by agkcpa*

Happy Travels,
Art
Come Visit Us At RV Lifestyle

adVentureMan

Memphis, TN, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/03 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a pretty decent explanation of sanitizing the fresh water tank at the Checklist Page below.

Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?

RV Guy

Lipan, TX.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/03 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to each camping season, I sanitize with bleach, following the prescribed method found at several sites. I fill the water tank about half full and pull the trailer so that the water splashes all around the inside of the tank...hopefully dislodging any type of bacteria growths.

I also run the water through all the lines using the water pump. After all this, I refill the water tank half full and drive it around for rinsing.

I also use a prescribed amount of water sanitizer/bleach on every tankfull. I believe its about 2 oz. per 40 gallons of water.

Jim

2008 Silverado 3500 D/A CC Dually
2007 Mobile Suites Deluxe - 36SB3
Reese 20K Hitch
Kipor KGE6000Ti generator

fast.5

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/03 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi: I have seen the thread you note below and am slighty concerned. The procedure that is used is ok but the stand time of the chlorine is not long enough. As a plumber who deals with water wells and systems all the time I have never read these before. When disinfecting my camper and water wells I let the chlorine stand for 12hours and then pump it off. This is the minimum time allowed by the health unit to kill all bacteria. You should look into this in your area at the health department.
Mike

2004 FORD F350 Supercrew 4x4 V10 Airlift incab controls 42" titan extension.
2007 LANCE 1131 Loaded, Air,Dicor,all weather packages Awning&Slide awning,2500lp Onan camp power,back up camera,dish
Fast.5 Reno Page http://community.webshots.com/user/fast5

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/03 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the plumber stated 30 mins is not long enough to sanitize the tank and plumbing. Some methods suggest 1/4c per 15gls and others 1/2c per 15gls. One listed here says only a couple capfuls, to little, and another says 2/3c per 10gls which can be too much even though they site EPA 200ppm guides. Plumbing in RVs is typically plastic and many plastics are made brittle by chlorine and chloramines that form when chlorine and water mix. This is the leading suspect of the Polybutylene plumbing failures as well as the ABS Class Action Suit now going on. There are also many rubber seals and washers in RVs and they are quickly deteriorated by high chlorine levels. The 1/4-1/2c is plenty and more is not always better. The couple caps is fine if you want to add chlorine to the tank to keep it chlorinated when using non-chlorinated well water but insufficient for actually sanitizing the system. You do need to pre-mix it in solution first also to prevent problems and get the solutio completely though the water system. Let it sit at least 12hrs, here more is better!

After draining and flushing with fresh water if you want to remove the chlorine odor/taste vinegar is far better than baking soda. Baking soda will leave a residue and its own taste and sodium in the pipes but vinegar will not. It will disinfect the system further because it is a sanitizing agent also and it will help in rinsing because it is also a rinsing agent. Vinegar can also loosen mineral deposits if the solution is strong enough and left long enough. In fact Atwood recommends a strong vinegar solution be used in the hot water heater at least annually to remove mineral build-up and to avoid the sulfur smell that can occur as the tank lining that acts as an anode does its job. If you read your Atwood manual it has this in the maintenance section and can also be found on these forums or the Atwood web site in the tech section. The vinegar solution for the tank and plumbing is 1qt/5gl of water and let it stand for at least 24hrs after getting it through the entire system and then drain and flush with fresh water. The Atwood recommendation is much stronger for cleaning the water heater tank and this is even a good practice for Suburban tanks to keep efficiency as high as possible, the tank clean, and for longer service life.

Drinking bottled water as suggested by Les Doll on one recommended site is not really that good of an idea since many studies have shown that often bottled water is less safe than tap water. Using a good quality point of use filter that removes bacterial cysts and viruses as well as chemicals is far better for you. If you drink bottled water make sure you know the source is pure because they aren't required to test it. If unsure of the spring quality and you wish to buy bottled water and pay a lot more for it buy only water labeled Purified Drinking Water or Distilled water to be safe. Using a Purifying filter (not just a micro-filter or standard carbon filter) such as the Nature Pure from General Ecology is much cheaper and you'll know the water is safe.

Mike
2001 Lazy Daze 26.5MB

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/03 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Distilled vinegar is normally better for cleaning purposes and other types like apple cider or others are better for eating but it doesn't really make that much difference. I use distilled when using it for cleaning because it doesn't have other things in it like apple cider or other types that aren't distilled and is clear.

GLBosn

Grovetown, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/03 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it matter what kind of vinegar, regular or distilled?

I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

Robb471

Vacaville, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/03 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about using the Camco "Spring Fresh" product to sanitize the freshwater system? It says its for "Clean and deodorize your entire RV fresh water system or freshen it after extended in-season storage."

Wife is not to keen on the bleach idea, she hates bleach.

Thanks

2009 Road Warrior RWT
2007 Polaris Outlaw 90
2007 Polaris RZR (Leaving soon)
2012 CanAm Renagade 1000Xxc (coming soon)
2012 Raptor 250 (coming soon)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sanitize fresh water tank??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS