RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: LPG while driving?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> LPG while driving?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
hovrens

Redlands, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/03 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I saw it somewhere, the topic of driving with the propane tanks open. (to run the refrigerator) I got the impression it was not a good idea and logic would tell me that as well. But, how do you keep your food cold? Also, what is worst case if something should happen? Car accident! The tanks could rupture any ways. Pilot go out on the refrigerator! You loose LPG out to the sky. Fire! Where is the ignition source.

I keep trying to convince my wife it's ok!!

Can someone convince her for me?

Eric
2001 Terry 824Z
400W Inverter w/TV
sold the generac 4000W

MALE*RN*777

Western MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/03 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check you instruction manual with your refrig. My 2000 coleman pop-up has 3 sources to the refrig. Gas LP, elect. 120v and 12v battery which is also used with the braking system. If you don't have another source other than gas lp I suggest that you don't take the chance with driving with the LP on. We were told to turn on the refrig the night before going to cool it with the 120 volt then then we switch to the 12volt battery. If you don't have this with your camper I suggest buying a bag of dry ice to travel with and it should stay cool for hours but first precool it the night before so the ice won't turn to liquid so fast.

Qc Traveler

Chateauguay, Quebec. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/03 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a post from someone on this forum who did a study on fridge heat lost over time. You can travel for 8 hours or more and the contents in the frige would be fine. I for one would not travel with an open source of gas.
You could also put a frozen container of water in the fridge while traveling and it would become a big cooler...

Fred & Brenda

2003.25 F350 6.0L 2x4 PSD CC SB Lariat
Linex bedliner
Lund Grill inserts
Prodigy controller
Husky 16K E-Z Roller
2009 Crossroads Cruiser CF30SK Triple Slide

olddj1

Westminster, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/03 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric
This was discussed at GREAT LENGTH on March 31st under the topic

Article on driving w/propane on or off

And that's not the only time its come up. Many people have strong opinions on it, one way or the other. Hope this helps .
Mark

olddj1
2003 Sunline T-280SR #8250
2004 Ford E-350 Superduty Wagon XLT 6.8L V-10, 4.10
Equal-i-zer, Prodigy, McKesh.

olddj1

Westminster, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/03 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS...its in the General RVing Issues forum.

jimbozamboni

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 04:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a couple of "blue ice" blocks for your freezer when you are parked. Move one to the fridge when travelling. When you stop for lunch, kick on the fridge.

If you do decide to travel with the tanks open, make sure everything is off when you enter a filling station. Your refrigerator, believe it or not, uses a small pilot light to operate... and it is located behind to vent panel on the outside of your rig. It is not something you want around a gas pump!

We'll see you at the campground!

Br-

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also keep the propane off when traveling and use one of the battery operated fans in the frig.
Just make sure you pre-cool and only stock the frig with items that are already cold. Pack a cooler for drinks, and open the frig as little as possible. We can travel at least eight hrs. this way with the frig off.

Check this out.
http://www.rvaa.com/articles/propane2.php3

Bruce & Sue
2007 pleasure-way excel-ts
Previously owned:'02 Trail-lite B+

steve781

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will hear from people on both sides of this issue. If you decide to run with it on, as I do for trips longer than 5 hours, you must remember to shut off the propane and the refer with each gas up.

Steve
2001 31' Four Winds Hurricane Class A 30Q / Ford V-10
Toad: 2004 Honda Element EX 4WD
Aventa II tow bar
Brake Buddy

dextery

Sioux Falls, SD Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run with the LPG turned off at the tank and have a fridge fan, battery operated, that circulates the cool air in the fridge.

Have attended a couple of safety seminars at rallys and the safety people recommend not running with valve open.

Refueling can be a problem with fridge on when the burner is on....especially if there is a fuel
spill on the island right next to you and your
fridge flame.

I do remember a post about a MH
being lost to fire because the gas tank on the car refueling next to the MH spewed out gas and vapors right into the fridge flame...evidently because the gas tank on the car was unvented and
the driver overfilled the tank and the pressure inside the tank during filling had built up and needed relief. Rare occurance, but I am not willing to chance it.

Good article at the following URL:
http://www.rvaa.com/articles/propane2.php3
Dextery

*This Message was edited on 26-Apr-03 09:31 AM by dextery*

Dexter/Cherie
2004 40ft Dutch Star | Spartan Chassis | ISL 370 HP Cummins | Quad Slide
Our Current Location
FMCA F306636 SKP 75602

sfd301

New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This seems to be more of a "what if" or personal choice issue IMHO. Personally, I don't have much of a problem running with it on, or even refueling for that matter (in most cases). I think there is more of a safety issue for those that refill gas cans in the back of cars or on the bed liners of their trucks where the potential for ignition due to static ele. is huge.

While there seems to have been a raging debate on the forum about this very topic, there has not been much about the commercial haulers that are running with propane flowing for the freezer/refig unit they are towing. I don't know much about them, but I'm guessing they are operating on the same principal. It seems the only issues for them are they have to avoid particular roads, and mostly the tunnels as we do for obvious reasons.

Any enlightenment on the big guys running propane being OK or not?

2003 Silverado Ext. Cab w/ tow package
2004 Mallard 33Z
Honda EU2000i x 2
Reese WD/Friction Sway Control
Prodigy
Retraxx Tonneau Cover/Line-X Bed Liner
KC2NMX
Firefighter/Paramedic
IAFF

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next