|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Workhorse Brake Problems and NHTSA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/03 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has been at least three instances of similar brake problems involving the Workhorse chassis posted on the forum this week. The problem involves the brakes locking on one or more wheels. Since I made my post, I’ve done some digging and have become aware that the problem is not unique to Workhorse and the Office of Defects Investigation of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is currently investigating the problem.

Senior Investigator Sonny Murianka would appreciate relevant information if you have had a similar braking instance. He would like a short narrative, make, model and VIN. Although he didn’t say, I would imagine he would find useful the name, address, and/or phone number of the service center that handled your problem. He can be reached via email at
Sonny.Murianka@nhtsa.dot.gov
or by phone at
1-800-986-9678 ext 65196

Tom

2008 Journey 37H
2006 CR-V toad

Have you seen the RV.Net Blogs? You can subscribe at Blog.RV.Net

Cletis

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/03 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a problem on a new Alfa (frieght liner ) on first trip.
The left rear air line to brake fell off in a very bad location
on our trip.
Was able to get off road and fix it , but sure gave me a scare.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/03 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John (justlou),

I sure didn't mean to be contradictory. My knowledge of the problem started as a Workhorse problem; we have a Workhorse chassis. Knowing that Workhorse does not actually manufacture the breaks, I did some digging on the Internet and became aware that the problem is not limited to Workhorse. I do not feel free to discuss the particulars on the forum. I will say that the brakes on our chassis were a Bosch ZOTZ system manufacutred prior to October, 2001. BTW, the date is stamped on the top of the calipers.

If you send me an email, I will give you some additonal information. (That statement could create a number of emails. If it does, I'll answer as quickly as I can.)

The purpose of this thread was to ask anyone who has had a problem with brakes suddenly pulling while driving to notify Mr. Murianka. The real danger, as I understand it, is a fire.

Tom

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/03 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry,

Sorry for the slow response. The Workhorse chassis involve are gas. In particular, the W-20 and W-22 chassis.

Tom

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/03 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulsar,
Your statement contradicts itself. You say it's a Workhorse brake broblem and then you say it's not unique to Workhorse. Which is it?

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2004 Saturn Vue Toad

jerrylarson

Auburn

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/03 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are thw workhorse chassis in question gas or diesel?

Stennis

Starkville, Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/03 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just took my RV into the factory service center. The problems did not include brakes. However, the lady who did the paperwork asked me about the brakes and indicated that there had been some problems. What has been posted here suggests that each of us need to look into this.

I am going to call the service center when I get off the computer and will share any information I receive. If anyone else finds something we need to know, I would appreciate it being added to this thread. I will bookmark and keep checking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Workhorse Brake Problems and NHTSA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS