|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> furnace won't ignite

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gregorio

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've had this problem since i bought the trailer, and now i am sorry i never took it in for repair when it was still under warranty.
MY FURNACE WON"T IGNITE..........unless, i am hooked up to my tow vehicle and the engine is running. It won't light with a new battery (i've now bought three), and it won't light when hooked up to electricity. What's the problem???? any advice would be wonderful....
the fan turns on every time, but furnace doesn't light. everything else in the trailer works fine, but for some reason, the furnace isn't turning the fan fast enough to light?????????

p.s. there is no pilot light.

post moved to Tech Issue Forum for more responses

* This post was edited 04/26/04 11:23am by an administrator/moderator *

Gregor
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 liter 4x4
2001 KIT Companion 222TLE Travel Trailer

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it ever light? You mention it only lights when hooked up to the truck and it's running..... That won't really have anything to do with the rest of the trailer 12v stuff working or not, as the truck just gives the battery a charge and it's voltage would be in the 13.5v range at that point. At rest, a fully chagred batt should put out about 12.5v.

Can you hear it "clicking" when you try to fire it up? That would be the igniter working and then it's just waiting for gas. If no clicking, then check the igniter.

Check to make sure the burner is clear. Spiders and other things like to build nests in there.

If this occurs after the unit has been shut down for awhile, then you have to purge the lines with fresh gas. I do this by lighting the stove top burners. It actually takes a few minutes for them to light the first time after sitting for a couple weeks.

Good luck!

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

gregorio

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitch,
i have done everything you mentioned, but it still only "clicks" when hooked up to the tow vehicle. it is obviously not receiving enough voltage otherwise, but why not?

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting...... I'm not sure what to think about that.... I assume the water heater works fine when not connected? Could still be the igniter itself and it's fault is that it needs more juice to work then normal?

What's even more strange is that you say it does not work when hooked to 110v...... That would put a charge to the battery as well, and would put the batt to about 14v for the most part.

You've got a pretty good puzzle there to work out! Too bad about the warranty deal. Mines still got about 3 months left!!

Good luck!

vapman

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be that when he his hooked up to his TV and its running that the higher altenator voltage around 14v is overcoming some bad power or ground connection to the furnace just enough to cause the thing to light.

W/O the TV connected the battery power alone around 12-13v may not be enough. Remember the fan motor in the furnace has be going strong enough to move the sail switch to turn on the main burner.

I'd look at the power right at the furnace and see what it is. Probably around 12v or less is too little. Then check for power and ground connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

-Tim
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L CC LB 4.10
1960 Airstream Ambassador 28'

aplvlykat

Apple Valley, Ca USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like he said it doesn't make sense. This is a long shot but is the fan turning the right direction or if it is a two speed fan is it on high and wired correctly? If the fan does not have enough flow to make the sail switch the unit will not run and if for some strange reason when you hook up the TV you get the fan spinning fast enough backwards it may just try to start.

1999 Suburban LT, K2500 4x4
7.4 liter 4.10 gears
de-Whippled due to gas prices
prodigy brake controller
Reese wd/dual cam
2004 25rss Outback

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/04 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

POST MOVED TO TECH ISSUES FORUM FOR MORE RESPONSES

MODERATOR - TT FORUM

itsasecret

Washington DC USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbo is probably correct. The sail switch is not making, and thus the burner can't ignite. Make sure one of the vents isn't clogged, or the hose (like a dryer) collapsed. Take the carpets off the floor vents. In short, try increasing the air flow, and see if it lights. It's also possible that the sail switch is bent, making it take too much air to switch. Check the voltage available when it works, and when it doesn't. It's also a possible bad battery, or bad ground, or other connection problem. Feel for a warm one. Let us know what you find out, this is interesting.

2004 Mandalay 40B , four slides, 350 Cummins/Freightliner.

droby

Rochester, NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/04 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure that your battery terminals on the trailer are clean and making good contact.

Good Luck.

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/04 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure no expert on furnaces (or any other RV system for that matter). If it were me trouble shooting this, I'd charge up a battery to full charge, disconnect the power wire to the furnace and put jumper wires (postive and negative) from my full battery. I figure that isn't physically easy to do but it would eliminate a lot of variables. Depending on what happened (furnace worked or didn't) I think that you would know whether it was something in furnace itself or a problem with the wiring in the RV and go from there.

Just a thought.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> furnace won't ignite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts