|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Washing, waxing, bugs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jetfuel4

Martinez, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done a search on this and found a lot of information. But most of it was kind of dated so I thought I would bring this up for another round of suggestions and ideas. My 2002 Minnie Winnie was very well taken care of and I would like to keep it that way. So here is my list for those that care to offer:
(1) Brushes...what works well and where to get them
(2) Soaps...which ones work best for RV's (fiberglass)
(3) Waxes...which kind...how often...best application technique
(4) Bugs, bugs, bugs...what to do about them *&*%$# bugs...

One last thing...I'm VERY green to RV'ing but hooked since day one. I love camping world though some things are cheaper in other stores. Has anyone used the Thetford washing, waxing products? Thanx in advance to all that offer advice and have a nice day :-)

SpoiledRotten

Central Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/05 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the bugs, nothing works better than a Bounce or other type of dryer sheet. Wet the surface, wet the dryer sheet, rub the bugs and rinse. Gets them fast, dried on or freshly smashed.

Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

GWFULTZ

SANFORD, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good coat of wax (I use Turtlewax) will make it easier to remove the bugs. Bounce works for us too.

Just the two of us

hud3ma

N. Cen. PA via Ware, Herts, England, UK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For washing fibreglass, we've found nothing better than RV PowerPowder (mix it with water).

For bugs and other airbourne contamination, it's hard to beat REJEX. Available from any avaition and many marine supply companies. Bugs just hose off. No need to muck about with smelly dryer sheets.

Mike & Karen
...and Ziggy, the Golden Retriever

2002 THOR (Dutchmen) 25' Class C w/slide

GerryB54

The Jersey Shore, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(1) Brushes...what works well and where to get them

Swobbit Telescoping Handle & Wash System used to sell online directly a package of tools and brushes that I purchased over a year ago. I guess you now have to deal with distributors.

The telescoping pole is the best there is, and the attachments work great in conjunction with it. They swivel and fit into almost any space on the RV. Happy RVing (& cleaning [emoticon])

GerryB54 - 2018 Jayco Precept 35S Class A - 3 Slides

dancoppins

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use either Dawn liquid soap or Turtle Wax ZIP wax for washing. Rejex is good for getting bugs off the front. I only use NuFinish polish on the gel coat sidings. I have used other wax products but found that NuFinish goes on easy and comes off easier.

i use a telescoping brush which i got at a Meijer's store years ago. it has a large orange colored brush which is very soft and long. It takes alot of the dirt off without alot of effort. i am sure that Camper's world would have them as well. expect to pay at least $35.00 for them as well. I NEVER use the hose connected to it since I found that I get better results with just dipping in into the the pail and then using it on the side of the 5er.

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all else fails to remove bug guts, use Westley's whitewall cleaner. Wax afterwards.

magic43

jetfuel4

Martinez, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/05 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

For washing fibreglass, we've found nothing better than RV PowerPowder (mix it with water).

For bugs and other airbourne contamination, it's hard to beat REJEX. Available from any avaition and many marine supply companies. Bugs just hose off. No need to muck about with smelly dryer sheets.

I looked up these items. I take it you wash your rig then treat it with the Rejex instead of waxing? Would you use this stuff on the roof? Has this helped prevent oxidation overall? Thanx

Gweber3369

Cedaredge, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/05 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get it waxed first. Then use only water for washing. Washing compounds or detergents will remove the wax, and while it looks clean when you finish, the finish will soon get quite dirty with no wax. I use a long handled brush for the top and a lambswool mit for the bottom where I can reach. I then use a squegee to remove the water beads and dry with a artificial shamois (the kind with tiny holes).

For bad bugs, like the butterflies that dry yellow, I have found nothing better than "Bugs-B-Gone". But when you use it, it will remove your wax so be sure and rewax where you had to use it.

For wax, when I had a fiberglass sided unit, I used "Protect-All", only the aerosol cans. The liquid always went on unevenly and appeared as spots. For my current aluminum sided rig, I use a poly liquid on the sides and a NON ABRASIVE paste wax on the hood and rear - the air stream over these areas take off the poly too quickly.

I just finished a rewax because last week I ran through swarms of those $&%^* butterflies. It took about a half-hour to use the bugs-b-gone and wash off the residue, then a half-hour to apply new poly and wipe off the residue, then about two hours to poly wipe the sides and remove that residue, then an hour and a half to apply the paste wax front and read and wipe that all off. Once you get a routine, it goes quite fast.

Using this system, I generally have to rewax twice a year. When I have to remove bugs, I just repoly those areas I had to use the bugs-b-gone. My rig is near seven years old and looks like it is still on a showroom floor.

Good luck

Gus Weber

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Washing, waxing, bugs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS