|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Need to know about tire pressure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Travel2

Syracuse, NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new to RV and have checked the tire pressure for the first time. The rear read 45 each (duels) and the front 65. We have a 2005 Four Winds 5000 28A. I've read on the forum that duels in back should be 80 each and front 65. Am I correct. Where do you find the PSI number on the tire. Thanks.

If you always do what you always did; you'll always get what you always got. Try something new!

2005 Four Winds 5000
Roadmaster All-Terrain Tow Bar
2003 Pontiac Montana Van Tow Vehicle

jackbuck

Roanoke ,Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look closely on the side of the tire. also on the door tag.you should see it.[emoticon]

jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.

Bubby's RV

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tire pressure on the tire is the maximum allowable pressure. The pressures on the door tag are the recommended pressures. For our 24-ft Minnie they are 65 front, 80 rear. The tag is on the driver's door frame. Yours may be different.

John, Winnebago Minnie 24V

Travel2

Syracuse, NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that was fast. Thanks we found it on the driver's door. Thanks to everyone we were hoping for a quick response and you came through. Love this forum[emoticon]

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a placard somewhere in the driver's seat area or around your door that lists the serial number of the vehicle and the recommended tire pressures for each axle. In addition, the recommendation to me when we first bought our coach was to have it weighed and to set the tire pressures, within the maximum limits of the tires, according to the pressure needed to carry the load that each tire carries. You can "get into the ball park" by taking your coach to a truck scale and weighing, making sure that your axles are on two different segments of the scale. Unfortunately, that won't tell if one side of your coach is heavier than the other (mine is 350lbs different on the rear axle, side to side).
I would be very concerned with the 45lbs of pressure in the rear tires. If it truly should be 80lbs, the longer is sits without proper tire pressure, the more chance of tire sidewall damage and a blowout later. The tires should be inflated to proper pressure and kept there, even when not in use.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

Greyeagle44F

Stratham NH USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/05 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may ride like a dream with those low pressures in the rear...but air up please!

80 will be safe...until you find a scale.

The U.S. Military: "All gave some, some gave all."

The Ancient Aviator

2002 26Q Tioga, Michelin Sneakers, Front XPS, Rear LTX M/S, no chassis "gimmicks" (Wind Machine sold APR 2006...pushing my luck at 84 years and a high performance bird).

Travel2

Syracuse, NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/05 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from getting it weighed and adding the air. The duels are now 80 and the fronts are 65 which is good for our weight. It does ride much better and we feel safer. Again thanks to all. [emoticon]

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/05 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kittytwo wrote:

We just got back from getting it weighed and adding the air. The duels are now 80 and the fronts are 65 which is good for our weight. It does ride much better and we feel safer. Again thanks to all. [emoticon]

I would worry about possible damage to the rear tires if they have been run soft and maybe become overheated. Check them or have them inspected for any sign of cracking of the sidewalls or tread separation. If you notice any thumping or strange vibration at highway speeds, stop and check for possible bulges in tires indicating tread separation. You don't want a tire coming apart and the steel belt severing the propane lines, cracking the holding tanks or other stuff under the motorhome. (Happened to us years ago on our first used Class C).If tires are over 5 years old, they should be replaced anyway for your safety. Iffy tires on a hot day and rough road with a loaded rig can be a gamble.

Tinpusher

Northern Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/05 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't have them already I would recommend getting the Borg or Tire Man metal valve stems for your duallys. Makes airing up a ten minute job. Also if you have wheel liners you will not have to remove them to check the pressure of the outside dually. I replaced all the valve stems on my Minnie 29K including the front wheels and it was the best money I have ever spent.

Tinpusher
Minnie 29K

Tinpusher

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/05 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sticker on the motorhome will tell you the correct pressure to run (fully loaded), until you can get your rig weighed. On truck tires, the proper inflation is determined by the weight on the tires, not the max pressure printed on the tire.

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Need to know about tire pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS