|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Newbie Alert - Cleaning an awning

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MadJayhawk

Sun City West, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/05 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend gave us directions and tips for opening and closing an awning. It went something like this: Go out on a windy day. Open the awning and while someone is using a hose to spray water in your face, close it. Next have 3 burly guys grab the corners and shake it really hard as the 4th guy sprays you with water. After that you will never leave and awning up if it is threatening rain or wind.

We played with our awning on the Jamboree this weekend in preparation for the 'big' weekend shakedown trip to the Mogollon Rim sometime in the next week or two. We also did about 6 hours of cleanup, inventory, and trying things out. The awning gave us some problems, but we finally got it opened up. First thing we noticed was that it was filthy. We can't tolerate that so we were wondering what the best way to clean it was. And what is the best thing to use to clean it with. It is a 16' (I think) A&E awning.

Dennis and Karen - 40 years of smiles
Sun City West, Arizona
2002 Sunnybrook 24' TT/2007 Toyota 4Runner V8
P.E.O./ex-USMC/geocaching/TiVo/Dean Koontz book collector/Quilting
Blog: Travels with Seven and Mad Photos: Photo Album
Where we have overnighted.

mooreadventures

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/05 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too funny!

We use Reliable 1 to clean the whole TT, it cleans black streaks like nothing else - it works well on the awning also. We just roll it out and keep the support struts down and wash the upper side using a "brush on a stick", then raise the supports and wash the underside. You're gonna get wet - there's no way around that.

Mark & Tammy
'05 Monaco Cheetah

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/05 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simplest way to clean the awning which I learned here is to open it up and put it at the lowest setting (much the same as I use when I leave camp in case of a storm.

Spray the cleaner of your choice on the top side. I use simple green.

Roll up the awning.

Drive home or to the campsite. The motion creates a scrubbing action of the soapy top side against the underside on the next layer.

Open and hose off.

Works great for me.

Jim

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/05 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mix about half water and half Clorox in a spray bottle. Extend the awning but then leave it flat against the RV or as low as possible. Spray the entire awning then roll it back up. Leave it rolled up for about 2 to 3 hours then unroll it again and hose it off. It usually gets both sides at the same time but sometimes on a really dirty awning you have to do it twice and spray the bottom the second time. When it's clean let it air dry then roll it back up till you need it. Hint it's a good thing to open your awning after each rain storm and let it dry out before rolling it back up. Never let it stay rolled up while wet for an extended period. Clorox doesn't hurt the material that modern awnings are made of.

THE ROLLING TURTLE
2005 Dutchmen Express 28A Chevy chassis
2005 Saturn Vue toad
Photo's in and of my Rig

Cool Canuck

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/05 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patterpusher wrote:

Clorox doesn't hurt the material that modern awnings are made of.
The cleaning directions for my Colorado states "Do not use bleach products"???

'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

tonigil

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/05 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooreadventures wrote:

Too funny!

We use Reliable 1 to clean the whole TT, it cleans black streaks like nothing else - it works well on the awning also. We just roll it out and keep the support struts down and wash the upper side using a "brush on a stick", then raise the supports and wash the underside. You're gonna get wet - there's no way around that.

Did you buy the Reliable product from the web site or at an RV store or Walmart? Actually my question is, Where can it be purchased at the lowest price? Thank you, Toni

May you always have
Love to Share, Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!
My Web site

mooreadventures

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Did you buy the Reliable product from the web site or at an RV store or Walmart? Actually my question is, Where can it be purchased at the lowest price? Thank you, Toni

When we bought our TT, the previous owner gave us a gallon. Now it's empty and I will probably buy from the web-site. I've looked at some local RV dealers and haven't been able to find any - besides, buy the time I drive the 30 something miles to the nearest RV dealer, I've lost any thing I would have saved.
This stuff really does work great - I tried some of the stuff from Wally World, and it took several applications to clean and then there were still black streaks.

tonigil

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooreadventures wrote:

Quote:

When we bought our TT, the previous owner gave us a gallon. Now it's empty and I will probably buy from the web-site. I've looked at some local RV dealers and haven't been able to find any - besides, buy the time I drive the 30 something miles to the nearest RV dealer, I've lost any thing I would have saved.
This stuff really does work great - I tried some of the stuff from Wally World, and it took several applications to clean and then there were still black streaks.

Thank you, Toni

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Newbie Alert - Cleaning an awning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS