|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Hitch Weight & Carrying 2 Scooters on a Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MountainCamper

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post is not directly related to physically towing something but is looking at hitch weight carrying loads so it was posted in the Towing section.

We are looking at purchasing 2 mid-sized, 150cc scooters and a dual motorcycle-like rack which would insert into the standard Class III hitch receiver on our 2005 Coachman 31 Class C. Depending upon scooter model selected/available, the combined 2 scooter weight will be approx 460-490 lbs. In the total hitch weight calculation, we are assuming that we also need to factor into consideration the carrier weight itself. We are looking at something like the Joe Hauler dual carrier (Joe Hauler Carriers), the mid-sized at 57 lbs net, (71 lbs total - 14 lb stored ramp which the hitch will not have to carry), so the total hitch carry weight will be anywhere between: (460+57) =517 lbs and (490+57) =546 lbs, which would exceed the max tongue weight of the current Class III hitch (500 lbs) by at most 9% max.

We just weight our Class C this past weekend to verify the current stats. The unit weighted out, fully loaded for travel (full water, propane, food, supplies, 2 people, etc), and there is still more than sufficient carrying capacity margin left over for the 2 scooters and rack with regards to total GVW, front and rear GAW, and for individual tire loads. We also have the option to decide not to carry a full load of almost 400 lbs of water, 80 lbs of propane, fire wood, etc.

We are looking for possible options to lighten the excess weight at the hitch, i.e.: above the 500 lb tongue weight max. Some options being considered are:
- Remove both starting batteries from scooters when on the rack and store the batteries in a MH compartment (approx 10+lbs total)
- Locate or custom fabricate aluminum versus steel dual scooter carrier (maybe save 20+lbs).
- Swapping out the rear Class III hitch for a Class IV hitch (i.e.: increased tongue weight), but the Class C frame extensions that are installed are also a limiting consideration.
- Still have to further investigate the possibility of installing a Class II (or III) hitch on the front of the E-450 to carry one scooter there, on a single rack (total front weight of < 300 lbs), and one scooter on the rear, also on a single rack. Concerns with this configuration are front GAW, individual front tire loading and restricted air flow for cooling.
- Choose smaller lighter scooters, but that really ends up defeating how we plan to utilize the scooters (i.e.: able to keep up with traffic, over 50 MPH+).
- No interest at all in towing a single or two-wheeled cycle trailer, or front wheel, raised cycle cradles.
- Some have even suggested to us that being at a hitch weight of say 520+ lbs (i.e.: 4% over), is a no-brainer and just to forget it due to the actual design excess capacity built into the frame extension and hitch, but being an engineer, I like to look at all options first.

Does anyone have any other options that we might be able to consider, such as some sort of available weight distributing set-up for the carrier, etc?

Thanks..

2005 Beaver Monterey 36'
towing a 03 Nissan Pathfinder
3 cats and 2 of us

Newt

ON THE ROAD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/05 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't exactly what you are talking about. However, it will carry your 2 scooters & probably some other junk also[emoticon]

http://www.cruiserlift.com/Swivelwheel.htm

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big problem is hanging 500# plus on the rear bumper will act like a lever and unload the front axle and can seriuosly effect handling. Having had a class c and saw what the difference in handling was with a full tank of water behind the axle vs. a 1/2 tank, I'd forget the idea.

You would be much better off buying a light weight utility trailer and loading the scooters on it.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are only a few punds over (which I normally wouldn't worry about) but you will also be placing the load center much further back than a normal trailer tongue would. This could indeed overload the hitch. I'd upgrade to a heavier hitch. The extra 12" or so of load center will have a negligible effect on the frame (since this is only a small % increase from the axle). That assumes of course that you still won't be overloading the rear axle. 500 pounds on the hitch will be more than 500 pounds on the rear axle (lever effect).

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jbishop1

Howell,mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/05 05:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just posted a similar topic yesterday. I talked to the owner of joe
http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net and I think he said he runs the Joe hauler web site to. He recommended a carrier in the front and one in the back to balance out the weight. I need to talk to a welder and find out how much it's going to cost to put a hitch on the front. I don't want to haul a trailer either. I used to pull a car with a tow dolly and it was more work then it was worth for short trips.

John

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/05 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi MountainCamper,
You have had some good replies but I think you will get more accurate results on your question if it is in the Class C Motorhome forum rather than the Towing forum.
I also suggest you take a look at this post by jbishop1, as mentioned above.
I will move this to the Class C MH forum.
Good luck.
Barney

claybreaker

SE Penna.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/05 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

- Some have even suggested to us that being at a hitch weight of say 520+ lbs (i.e.: 4% over), is a no-brainer and just to forget it due to the actual design excess capacity built into the frame extension and hitch, but being an engineer, I like to look at all options first.

There is excess capacity designed into the hitch...it is not possible to determine (without the engineering specs) whether there is also sufficient over-capacity built into the extensions of your chassis. The issue, however, is not so much one of weight but one of the types of loads that the weight is capable of imparting to your hitch and chassis.

The problem you face is that the over-capacity incorporated in the hitch and frame are probably sufficient to absorb the type and amount of forces applied to them by a trailer tongue (loads that are applied relatively gradually and in predominantly vertical axis). These loads are vastly different from the loads that would be applied by 500 pounds of dynamic weight suspended from the hitch. A load of this sort would tend to apply vertical impact forces to the hitch (road bump loads) as well as rotational loads (due to the rocking of the carrier) that are not normally imparted to the hitch. The combination of these two loads may well exceed the over-capacity present in the design, especially considering the leverage that would exist due to the design of the carrier you propose.

Cargo of this type is better carried on a trailer so that the loads applied to the hitch are those for which the hitch and its mountings were designed.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/05 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to go to a welder for a front hitch. Bolt on hitch is available from Reese, and maybe others.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/05 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just adding a heavier rated hitch is not the only consideration. The design of the frame extensions is important. The stock Ford frame ends 4 feet behind the center line of the rear axle. Anything longer than 4 feet is added by the motorhome manufacturer. A 31 foot class C has a long rear overhang. That needs to be taken into consideration.

jbishop1

Howell,mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/05 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice reply Andy. You have me almost convinced to go to a small trailer to carry a couple of scooters. What do you think about distributing the two scooters between one front hitch and one rear hitch? each scooter would be about 100lbs lighter then each hitch rating.

Carringb, I don't see a bolt on reese front mount hitch for a Ford Super Duty (Class A motor home).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Hitch Weight & Carrying 2 Scooters on a Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS