|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/05 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear a lot of you talks about the Air Compressor you take with you in your RV. As I have yet to find anyone who will check and fill my tires I'm planning on getting one. I would like to know the brand and the specs on the Air Compressors that you carry. As weight is always a problem in Class C's and the need to reach high pressures for those rear duals it seam few are available. I found one called a "300 psi Truck Tire Inflater" in the Northern tool and equipment catalog that weighs only 5 lbs ($44), but wonder if that has enough muscle to do any good. Another is Called "2.5 Gallon Oil-Free AC", rated at .7CFM @ 90 PSI ($89) that weighs 22 lbs and states the working pressure to be 70 to 100 psi. That sounds a little low to me. Please tell me about your Air Compressor and where you got it. I'm planning a trip to town next week to possible buy one.

THE ROLLING TURTLE
2005 Dutchmen Express 28A Chevy chassis
2005 Saturn Vue toad
Photo's in and of my Rig

Randy & Denise

pittsburgh, pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a craftsman was on sale for $99.00 works excellent! came with all nozzles and accessories, tryed it today filled my rear tires 80 psi no problem, was a Xmas present and performs perfect! Randy http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00915310000

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/05 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TruckAir is a 12 volt compressor available at Camping world and most large auto parts stores such as auto barn etc. It is priced between 29.00 - 44.00 depending on where you buy it. it is rated at 300 psi and can definately accomplish it. it is warranted for seven years. the compressor can run for 8 hrs. straight with out having to stop the compressor to cool down, like other 12 volt models after 15 min. Inflates my duals with no problems, although, it is hard to do the outter tire without extensions.

Don, Kathleen and our little men Henry, Will and Bailey the Wonder Wheaten
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
Formally: 02' Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 8.1/Allison (The Gasoholic)
2010 Jayco 351 RLSA Fifth Wheel

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld Model FP2040 110 volt 2 gallon tank type compressor. Harbor Freight sells one under their Central Pneumatic labels just like it, both are about $70 and 25 lbs. There are a number of similar small but serious compressors that people use for 80psi and lesser psi Class C tires. I bought quick disconnect fittings for $5.00 and an inflator with dial guage and pressure release for $15.00 at Harbor Freight. We take ours on long trips. The coiled nylon hose is just long enough to reach all six tires. I don't think that most 12 volt compressors would hold up for long and top off 80 psi tires quickly.

http://www.chpower.com/

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/05 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ended up buying a small, REAL, compressor. Originally, I bought one of the cheapies, and found that it took forever to pump up even a car tire. With a gallon air tank, I had two useful seconds of power with an air tool before needing to wait two minutes for it to catch up. Gave that one away to my father for his bike tires.

Yes, my compressor is a little bulky and heavy, but it's a useful tool. Since you listed the specs of what you were looking at, here's what the Dewalt Emglo is rated at: 4.5 CFM delivered @ 100 PSI, pump recovers in under 15 seconds. It has a 4 gallon tank. I found that it sneaks nicely in one of my storage bays. It wastes no time filling up MH tires, operating an impact wrench, or operating any of my air tools.

If you're only planning on filling a tire in an emergency, then get a $40 model. If you plan on doing regular maintenance, and using it for more than just filling a tire now and then, spend a little more, get a lot more.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2007 Rockwood TT 2502
Equalizer Hitch
2010 Ford F-150 FX4 -w- Max Tow Package
Yamaha EF2400iS
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

RVJohn

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some thing called a "power Tank"Its fairly small.And fills your tires with CO2.One tank will fill 39 Class A tires.You can refill the tank at any welding supply shop.It has a PSI of 200.I use it to fill my 5er tires,truck tires,i run air tools with it.Very powerful.Fills in a matter of seconds.Its pricey but for me its worth every penny.As a matter of fact I have 2 tanks.they are stored in my front storage compartment.I use a 50 foot air hose with this.I also use it to clean off my slide roofs before leaving camp grounds.Take a look for yourself and decide. www.powertank.com.

Can you buy cheaper?sure can.Can you get a protable air compressor that has the power this has?I don`t think so.

tow vehicle-2004.5 Dodge 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-600 Cummins Turbo Diesel-4-speed automatic,48RE,short bed-SRW
Prodigy brake controllar
2001 3280RL Montana
reese 16K slider,roll&lock bed cover
Yahama EF300iSEB
Garmin 7200 GPS
5th Air Borne/sidewinder

ArtChee

Sarasota FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the ROADPRO 300 psi 12-volt Compressor from Kbizz online: $38 w/shipping. The first time I used it, the cigarette lighter connector overheated and warped to the point it no longer works. KBizz.com claims that their website was destroyed after my purchase, and all records were lost, and the person who answers emails musta died also. I cannot find an address for ROADPRO either. It has a 90-day warranty... Goodie!!!

Thanks for viewing,
ArtChee - Sarasota FL
1989 SHASTA Revere, 23' Chevy 350
Onan 3.0kW GenSet

JohnieL

Santa Rosa, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/05 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I bought a 110 volt, AC, compressor. Our MH has a generator, so if boondocking it can still be used. It has a 2 gallon tank, max pressure is 115psi, air delivery: @40psi 3.8CFM, @90psi 2.4CFM. It has an automatic cutoff, and no time restriction when using it. The weight is 15 pounds. I can use a regular two-way air chuck so I can get to the valve stems of the dual tires, not one of those cheap "clip on" ends the will not fit through the holes in my rims. I got it at Kragen Auto Stores, the total price was $46.00. I plan to try it out in the next couple of days. If there is a problem I'll add another post here.

JohnieL
2003 Jamboree 29V

6/3 update. Well the compressor does work. It does have a reset switch that shuts off the unit if it's been on too long and starts to overheat. It's okay for topping off the tires if they are down a pound or two. But that is all. I'm going to keep it because that is what I wanted it for, and is compact in size. If I have a flat tire then I would call for road service anyhow.

I looked at one that Sears has, the cost was $100.00. But it is a lot taller and weighs over 20 pounds. That one also says you can spray paint with it so most likely the compressor would run for a longer duration without overheating.

JohnieL
2003 Jamboree 29V

* This post was edited 06/03/05 05:21pm by JohnieL *

patterpusher

Pineola, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/05 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a lot for all the input, Your comments have brought a lot of things to my attention that I hadn't really thought about before. Such as the high current that would be needed from a 12 VDC source or the high start current from a 110 VAC compressor motor. That rvpowershot.com CO2 tank looks like it might be the safest for the RV but the $300 + price tag for an empty tank I'd have to carry to the local Pepsi bottling plant to get filled with CO2 has me wondering. At present I think I'll have to settle for a full sized compressor and use it here at home while I'm researching a portable unit that will work and is safe for the rig. Thanks a bunch Patter

Doc Savage

Huntsville AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/05 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both a truck air (carry on the jeep for trail use, along with a 7 gal. air tank) and a 2.5 gal pancake compressor. I thought about using the Truck Air on the RV, but after airing some tires on the trial, ain't no way. It can take forever to completely air a tire the size of my Endura's. I use the pancake around the house and it fits in my basement storage fine and I can just plug it into the compressor. It is set to shut off at 100 psi so I have plenty of pressure.

Robert

Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Member, Rock Solid Jeep Club
Member, Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
Member, United Four Wheel Drive Association.
Vice President, Alabama OHV Association

04 Endura
98 Wrangler
09 Kia Sedona
05 Jeep Unlimited

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Portable Air Compressors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS