RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What Every Motorhome owner should know about their tires

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What Every Motorhome owner should know about their tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/05 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't already. Check out this video from Michelin truck tire.

Caution: This link will take you directly to a streaming video page on Michelin trucks website. If you're on a dial up don't waste your time.

What Every Motorhome owner should know about their tires

This is not the one about what to do when your MH has a blow out.

It's 14 minutes long but well worth it if you care.

It covers:

-How to read date codes.
-How to read tire wear and aging. What to look for etc.
-How to determine when alignment or rotation is needed.
-How to rotate tires, including duallies and spare.
-How to weigh a MH on a platform or segmented scales, including tag axle, and toad.
-How to record axle weights.
-Where to look for public scales, including truck, storage and moving, gravel pit scales etc.
-Where to find load ratings, including GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, and CCC limitations.
-Where to find load ratings at drivers door, or MH closests.
-How to properly maintain and care for tires.

...just to name a few things.

I've only looked at Michelin truck and I must admit I'm very impressed w/ the knowledge they share w/ consumers and tells me how much they consider in RV tire design.

I learned some more than I thought I knew from here at RV.net, so I thought I'd share it if it had not been shared already.

I hope some of you find it helpful,

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/05 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there's obviously been quite a few views of the video. So did anyone learn anything new.

I learned about tire rotation. I thought is was not necessary for chassis w/ dualies. I never gave much thought to include the spare in a rotation process.

Does anyone out there actually rotate their tires and spare on a regular basis? If so how do you determine the best timing to rotate and include the spare in the process? I assume it's basically after every oil change or tranny service.

Me personally I was going to inspect my tires every trip for aging and some wear and then just replace all 6 tires after 4 years or the first sign of cracking on any one of them. All my tires have date codes their model year of my chassis (not MH) so I know that all of them will most likely wear and age at the same time unless a tire is seriously impacted by poor alignment and/or some object on the road, therefore shortening it's life span.

My motto so far, though expensive, is to change all tires if one tire needs to be replaced or maybe even repaired. There's just too much at stake (including steak).

Anyway, any thought's y'all have about tire rotation would be appreciated. I have a spare I might as well use it rather than the birds who perch and do their business on the tire cover protecting the spare.

Take care,

Ayden

toprudder

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/05 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will never put enough wear on the tires before they have to be replaced due to age. No rotations for me.

Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/05 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned when my tires were made [emoticon] (May, 2002)

Seriously, thanks for the link. You never can know too much about this stuff.

I also will probably not rotate since tire age will far outweigh my tread wear.

Steve

Run, rabbit run.
Dig that hole, forget the sun,
When at last the work is done
Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.

exioum

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/05 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steved28 wrote:

I learned when my tires were made [emoticon] (May, 2002)

Seriously, thanks for the link. You never can know too much about this stuff.

I also will probably not rotate since tire age will far outweigh my tread wear.

Steve

I agree...

exioum

RaynGayle

Burlington, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest problem I have is where to find scales. I have not been able to locate any in the Richmond, VA area.

Ray and Gayle
2002 Winnebago Minnie 31C
2001 Honda CRV

Greyeagle44F

Stratham NH USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In spite of what may be on the suggested site, Ford does not recommend rotating the rear duals...just the front once every 5,000 miles. I carry a spare and wheel but do not include it in rotation.

The U.S. Military: "All gave some, some gave all."

The Ancient Aviator

2002 26Q Tioga, Michelin Sneakers, Front XPS, Rear LTX M/S, no chassis "gimmicks" (Wind Machine sold APR 2006...pushing my luck at 84 years and a high performance bird).

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to rotate tires. I do not now because my Alcoa's need to stay on the outside and the OEM steel wheels on the inside now. It is an interesting issue.

If the vehicle OEM recommends that you rotate tires, which can be beneficial in many ways, they can end up being liable if you do it wrong. There are more ways to rotate duals wrong than right. In particular if you get 2 different rolling diameter tires in the same dual set, the larger tire is working far too hard and can be dangerously overloaded.

I rotated my tires in such a way as to keep the diameters close or identical. This allowed me to take the tire out of the most abused position (inside dual) and put it into a spot where it did not get quite so much heat stress.

I think it is CRITICAL to rotate the spare into service with the fronts so it can see some use and get some plasticizer worked into it for longer life. This is a problem for me now since it is on an OEM steel wheel and my fronts are aluminum. I may actually buy one more aluminum front wheel to allow this.

Jim

Geezer2

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/05 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only rotate front tires side to side. I never rotate the rear duals. This was recommended by Ford and by Michelin. I run 80 Lbs in the rears and 65 in the fronts and it rides soft and comfortable at those pressures.

no rv any more
Shyla and Samson,
Ron & Cathy

TNB

Elmira, New York, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/05 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelin has good info, and great tires. My Itasca came with Firestone Steeltex tires, which fell apart like recaps with about 22,000 miles on them. I had one tire fall apart, and immediately bought six Michelins.

TNB
1999 Itasca Sundancer
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd with the HEMI !
2000 Lexus GS300
1956 Corvette
roller blades, mountain bike...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What Every Motorhome owner should know about their tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS