|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> recarpeting experience

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Amberbunny

newport news

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to have my 23.5 RV recarpeted. Anyone out there able to tell me what they paid, what they thought of service, and what should I look for in an installer, other than previous practice on some other fools rig? My carpet i sclean but dated, and since we had a non RV type overflow my toilet tank all over the floor I just don't like that carpet no more. Just seems icky. I would like to know price, did you use padding or not, finish work, work around cabinets, etc? And perceived value for the price.

\Documents and Settings\stephen.kunich\Desktop

CDWall

Advance, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not put linoleum down instead and put rugs over it? Then if you have another accident or they get old, just throw them out and get new ones.

Lilli

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 23 ft itasca, and when we found the floor squeking we descovered that when they put in the flooring plywood they used very thin plywood,and it didn't cover the joint crossing so over time it started making the noise which we thought might of been dry rot, so hubby took heavier plywood over the old carpet and then we layed vinyl squares and he put down extra adhesive so they would stick better, we found that vinyl with throw rugs is much easier to clean than carpet specially in a smaller motor home, plus we also have cats, so easy clean with a brook specially when your limited to space....Broom and sweep out the door....sorry i know that wasn't really your questions, just a suggestion from me...

For those that want to know about Oregon http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campinginoregon/

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ripped the carpet out of our old Class A with just a razor kinfe, and put in new carpet with a thin pad. All I did was staple it down in a few places, picking a carpet pattern where staples did not show. A cut to fit carpet almost wants to stay in place all on its own due to the irregular shape and small size.

I had never done carpet before. It was really easy and cheap since it was very few square yards. There was a lot of waste since I bought one big piece. I just laid it down the center aisle and cut it down to fit as I went.

Jim

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As HiTech pointed out, laying what is essentially a wide runner doesn't require the same skills as laying wall-to-wall carpeting. Rip out the old carpeting and use the pieces as your pattern for the new stuff. Mostly, you need sharp tools and lots of patience: In a small space, small errors look big.

Joanne

toprudder

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have carpet in my rig. I like the idea of having a smooth floor that can be easily cleaned, but there is more prep work involved for putting down vinyl or wood laminate.

I never have liked the idea of carpet in the bathroom. [emoticon]

Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

We ripped the carpet out of our old Class A with just a razor kinfe, and put in new carpet with a thin pad. All I did was staple it down in a few places, picking a carpet pattern where staples did not show. A cut to fit carpet almost wants to stay in place all on its own due to the irregular shape and small size.

I had never done carpet before. It was really easy and cheap since it was very few square yards. There was a lot of waste since I bought one big piece. I just laid it down the center aisle and cut it down to fit as I went.

Jim

HiTech,

I just ordered the carpet for my old class C last week, I have been planning on re-carpeting since I got the RV two years ago, but I wanted to finish all the other major projects first. I have already done the bathroom and entry steps in vinyl.

My plan is to cut out all the old carpet, fix the various squeaks and imperfections and paint the plywood floor with an oil base to seal it from spills. The carpet I ordered is so plush I am not going to use any padding except for the front driving area I am going to insulate the floor from noise and heat with foil backed jute insulation. I ordered my carpet big enough so I won’t have to seem it, I have an air staple gun for the edges.

HiTech, did you fold under the edges of the carpet before stapling it (I have seen this done in new Lazy Daze)? Or did you just try to stuff it under the cabinets? Any strategy on cutting that first big hallway piece? I was thinking I would just sort of rough trim it then let fold up the walls and start to trim at the corners.

BTW I ordered a 12" X 14" piece of carpet and it cost $519 and yes their will be lots of waist that I plan to trim to the bath floor shape and have the edge sewn for a custom bath carpet inlay.

Thanks,

Gary

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to think twice about painting or otherwise sealing the floor. Sure, it would keep moisture out -- but it will also keep moisture IN if the flooring gets damp -- such as from humid weather underneath, or a spill getting into cracks.

Can you tell me a little bit more about foil-backed jute insulation? Where can I get this, and does it have any tehcnical or breand name(s)?

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joanne0012 wrote:

You might want to think twice about painting or otherwise sealing the floor. Sure, it would keep moisture out -- but it will also keep moisture IN if the flooring gets damp -- such as from humid weather underneath, or a spill getting into cracks.

Can you tell me a little bit more about foil-backed jute insulation? Where can I get this, and does it have any tehcnical or breand name(s)?

joanne0012

Thank you for the input, I agree it could be a problem if everything were completely sealed. But I am only going to seal under the carpet, all around it under the cabinets will still be bare. I am not going to gut the RV just to put in carpet, I am afraid it would never end on an old rig like mine.

I first found the insulation at Camping World and it had foil on both sides and it is intended for Doghouse insulation but it is twice the price as JC Whitney. The stuff from JC Whitney has foil only on one side, but the jute is the same. After that I found the same product at Home Depot with the foil on one side and it was sold as a Water Heater Blanket.

Here is the link to the JC Whitney product.
click here

I found this from another member on the forum who posted pics of an entire insulation project with the stuff from JCW, if you are interested you might do a search.

Good luck and thanks again for the input,

Gary

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In mine I did a rough cut as you suggest then forced it into place and cut away the extra, always cutting a but large until I got it progressively right. Folding over might work well but I simply cut it as if it were a big runner.

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> recarpeting experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS