|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Rear window fresnel lense

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with a small (8.5"x11"?) lense in the rear window of our C. It worked great for seeing the road behind me thru our large rear window, but was a little small.

I replaced it with the larger size Camping World sells and put the small one in the little window right behind the passenger seat. I can see cars in the blind spot now.

But I can't help but wonder if there are larger lenses available for the rear window. It is so handy with its panoramic view. Anyone using a bigger lense than the large one from Camping World?

Jim

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one like yours in the rear window of my Class C Lazy Daze, almost as good as a rear camera! It did really well. I then found one on E-Bay that was 2'x2" square. One day when we were traveling east around 7:30 in the evening, I guess the setting sun hit the lens just right, and vaporized my poor wife sitting next to me. Just a puff of smoke and a pile of ashes! Then I remembered that I had actually left her at the Ladies Room in the last Shell Gas Station we were at. Whew...scared me for a minute there! Slate

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Sea Dog

Ontario Can.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/05 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best thing I ever bought.
Took a while and several relocations, but I now have mine set so that when I pass, as soon as the grill of the passed vehicle appears in the lens, I am good to pull back in no worries
Same as pulling out to pass on a four lane, if the front of the vehicle sitting just off the corner is all in the lens, no problem swinging in front of them.

Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is the same way. As soon as I see the front I know I can pull in, even though close. I really prefer the window to a camera. When I bought the rig I assumed I would want a camera but I get 2 views out the rear window - 1 direct and one panoramic thru the lense. In addition a passenger sitting in the rear can look up and to the sides as I back up without being outside. I also have had some amazing views out that picture window in the back bedroom while camping.

I may have to look on eBay for a larger unit. The one I have is fine but I like it so well I will go with a larger one if I can locate it.

Jim

dmartin@newarts.com

Ames, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bigger the better. very very useful.

Dave

1980 Born Free 22' Class C (minus) - 1985 Honda Scooter

claybreaker

SE Penna.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

But I can't help but wonder if there are larger lenses available for the rear window. It is so handy with its panoramic view. Anyone using a bigger lense than the large one from Camping World?

Jim

I had the same thought about a year ago regarding the same product for a different application. I finally contacted the manufacturer (who I believe is 3M) and spoke directly to the engineer responsible for the production of that product for the consumer market. He indicated that the large size available through RV outlets was as large as they produce for that market adn that producing anything bigger would require both redesigning the product and retooling the production facilities.I even asked him if he would be willing to send me a couple of pieces of the stuff before they were trimmed to their final size. That wasn't an option either. So I guess what's available is what's available.

Sea Dog

Ontario Can.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/05 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my lens and a MaxxAir fan from General RV just below Detroit on I75.
For anyone with acces to General, I believe they are on a par with Camping world.

Steve1950

Gresham, or, usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about buying two and cutting and joining so you get one wider piece?

00 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
13 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite Ultra Edition 207-S

mtnstarman

Piney Woods

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/05 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where do you guys mount the lens? In the center of rear window or off to one side? Mine is in the center, but I was thinking about moving it to one side or the other so I can get a normal view directly to the rear. Thanks

claybreaker

SE Penna.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/05 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

Mine is the same way. As soon as I see the front I know I can pull in, even though close. I really prefer the window to a camera. When I bought the rig I assumed I would want a camera but I get 2 views out the rear window - 1 direct and one panoramic thru the lense. In addition a passenger sitting in the rear can look up and to the sides as I back up without being outside. I also have had some amazing views out that picture window in the back bedroom while camping.

I may have to look on eBay for a larger unit. The one I have is fine but I like it so well I will go with a larger one if I can locate it.

Jim

Not all available fresnel lenses will be suitable for use in the back window of an RV. Some of the larger ones come from projection television applications and are too thick and heavy to be mounted practically in the back window of an RV. And others will have a focal length that is too short to be of any use as back window units as they were intended to magnify images that are much closer than the images through a back window would be.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Rear window fresnel lense
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS