|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Motorcycle Carrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
esso

florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/05 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Does anyone have experience with a motorcycle carrier mounted to a class C? I'm looking to haul a Harley Road King. We have a 26' class C, and are wondering how it will affect the handling. Also looking for recommendations on brands of haulers. Thanks in advance for the info!

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/05 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This subject has been posted a number of times, you may want to use the search feature and see if you find your answers.

[emoticon]

2016 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L
2018 Jayco 24RBS

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/05 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this thread for a start.

How heavy is a Harley? They are big bikes, especially when you add the weight of a sturdy carrier.

markit63

usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/05 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a bike of that size you really need to go with a trailer as adding that kind of weight to the rear is going to ruin the handling.imo

JeF4y

Sussex, WI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A roadking is 800# or more. You're not gonna get that out of a hitch mounted carrier. You need a trailer.

It is not until you've lost everything, that you can truly gain anything.

2005 Gulfstream Endura 6316 Duramax
23' Pace American hauling my race bikes
http://www.cbr600rr.com

GLBosn

Grovetown, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen them on the back of class A but never on a C. I am sure that much weight on the back would have an adverse effect on handling. U-haul rents motorcycle trailers if you are not sure about buying one.

I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

tom1

Mass

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

esso, I have seen only a friends 'overbuilt' lift from the Albany area of New York, very well made and easy to use;
www.overbuiltlifts.com/
he also has a 'king' and loves the lift.
I was going to get one but after alot of consideration we reached the conclusion that a small trailer is best for us and have just ordered another trailer. First the bike, BMW, is under cover and out of sight and the eight foot trailer provides quite a bit of extra room for other stuff.
The trailer a Featherlite 1610 is all aluminum including interior floor, walls and ramp and weights about 800lbs, the bike another 550lbs, and about another 200 of misc junk so the weight/mileage penalty is small.
If you do decide on a trailer, resist the urge to get an open one, which is what we have now, also a Featherlite. Great for dry weather transport but man does the bike get covered with filth in the rain, plus the ratchet mechanism for the straps take a beating, the webbing stretches a bit, just miserable.
A trailer is not as simple as a lift and costs about twice, but for us the protection/security and a little more sheltered storage space is a tradeoff we are willing to accept.

average joe

Florence, KY USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used several carriers on my class c, the heaviest bike I have carried was 400 pounds. I would suggest a trailer if you have a class c unless you have a super c then maybe you could do it--most of the main stream carriers for bikes are only rated for 500 pounds and are generally geared towards dirt bikes or dual sports--that is of the ones that don't way a ton. I prefer the light enclosed trailer method as my bikes get filthy if I haul them on a carrier--though it is nice to put my klr on there when taking it in for service and ride it home--just stowe the carrier in the rear compartment or leave it locked on the hitch.

If you are like my buds, you are not giving up your harley anytime soon so in light of a lighter ride, I see a trailer in your future.

Joe

2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100SS

tom1

Mass

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

average joe, The overbuilt handles a very high weight load, much more than a full dresser tips the scales at and it is a tempting option, but our experience mimicks yours a trailer is the only way to go.

But again the company I mentioned makes a very interesting product.

For all of use who tow/ride check out this option, the chock, for your trailer:
www.baxleycompanies.com/

JeF4y

Sussex, WI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/05 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For trailer chocks, I personally prefer the www.condor-lift.com (Tell Teffy - owner, that Jeffy sent you over. :-) )

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Motorcycle Carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS