|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Why you should rent before buying. IMHO

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/05 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just recently rented a 29’ Itasca Spirit. We’ve been vacillating between TT and C for a while. Basement storage vs. “standard” and 29 vs. 31 vs. 36 Super C (Seneca).

The result was the 29’ was long enough for us to live in, short enough (just) to cram it into the Provincial Park sites we would regularly use and the non basement storage held more than I thought it would. We had empty bays on a 5 day family trip.

The bottom line for me was it showed us what we *really* need vs. what I thought was mandatory. Now we are even going to look at a 27’ to see if that might fit too; whereas before bigger was better.

I have been doing over a year of research – mostly on this site. Have spent literally hundreds of hours reading post to which I thank each and every poster who contributed to my knowledge. But the 5 day trip validated all the theory into reality. Made a huge change to our approach.

I’ve read posts about “You Should Rent” etc. Always said “yeah I should", and then never really believed it myself. Now I’m a convert and making a post saying the same thing.

Bottom line, before you drop a huge chunk of change on your dream, validate it. You might come away as surprised and happy as we did. We’ll “save” over $100K Canadian by not considering a Super C for now. Love the specs of the Seneca but it is just too long to go where we want to.

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/05 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you. The only difference you should see in the 27 footer is that either it will have a very short couch or a single chair setup with the door more forward on the coach. These force you to put the kids at the dinette at all times since you now have no couch. It also doesn't give you a very good living room for tv watching.
Our 28 footer has the 3 person couch, split bathroom setup that still has the full queen. Anything shorter and you loose it in the couch area.
Mine is a basement model, I never use all the storage but that is not why we bought it. I bought it because with a basement model the floor is higher, the ceiling is higher, thus the overhead bunk is taller. Look at my picture, my 9 year old twins can still sit upright in their bed without touching the ceiling. They can play up there and have it all set up as their private bedroom. That is really the main reason we choose a basement model.

'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

TXSKIBUM

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/05 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am taking notes guys. Keep them coming.

SUNSEEKER CREW
Andy (Dad), Twin Girls 11 yrs (Twinkies) One Boy 13 yrs (Monkey Boy)Tobey Mellow Yellow Lab
2006 Forest River Sunseeker 3100ss Quad Bunk V10
2010 Armada Titanium

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/05 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TX - if you want more details PM me I'll fill in what I have found on one year research.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/05 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, rent first.

We tried a motorhome first (borrowed, thank goodness) and HATED it. We LOVE our trailer. Different folks like different things.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Listermann

Cincinnati, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rented for a two night trip. It was expensive but worth every penny from a learning perspective. What we liked and did not like came into focus very quickly. We ended up buying a "vintage" Toyota Dolphin and haven't looked back.

Dan

murffdog

Poughkeepsie, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honest as can be folks, at about 10am this morning, as I was leaving the local Home depot. There is a railroad track that goes across a side road. As I'm sitting at the red light, a Cross Country Rental, 3 class rental barrels by. 100 yards past the track, there he sit. The right rear spring, hanger and all, was through the tires. His wife, (I think) was ripping his head off. I gave him a phone number and moved on. "She" was "not" a "happy camper".

tozz

Boston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/05 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I've been looking at a Rialta for years. I knew the Rialta (as well as other RV's) involved compromises, but didn't really feel it in my gut until I rented it. It was just a little bit too small. I think my trigger point on RV size is whether two people can be up and around at the same time. In the Rialta, this is difficult. I ended up upgrading (slightly) to the Navion, which should be juuuuuust right.

Robare

Hampton, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/05 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never bought the rent first approach...seems like you spend a lot of money to rent...we did a lot of research and then bought a used rv for $24,000 and kept it three years; guess we were pretty confident in what we wanted but I would rather use the rent money towards a purchase...of course, buying a 7 year old rig made it easier but I cut my teeth on that unit and went from a 27 to a 31...and slides were just getting real popular in 2000....not the case in 1997....I could not have afforded a new unit then, anyway.....

2000 Tioga Class C, 1999 Saturn

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/05 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robare - I was with you. Except due to a bunch of things an RV would be parked more than used this summer so I decided at the last minute to squeeze in a quick holiday. $1100 for 5 days will greatly impact a $60-80K purchase. Yes it was money I could have used towards a payment or two but the trip validated and invalidated some ideas. Worth every penny in my book. And for us, a cheaper more risky (mechanically) purchase would be a lot of time and energy I can't afford on cleaning up and fixing stuff that has worn out. I admit to being a bit rententive in my care and feeding of gear. That has part of it to do with us wanting a newer and thereby more expensive rig. To each his own, this is our rationale.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Why you should rent before buying. IMHO
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS